Why do animation fans hate adult content?

Pooky

Staff member
Thank you :)

And yes, there is definitely art which is immoral and/or evil, but a lot more that is just in somewhat bad taste, and even more that is (IMO) just not very good.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Thank you :)

And yes, there is definitely art which is immoral and/or evil, but a lot more that is just in somewhat bad taste, and even more that is (IMO) just not very good.
Trust me when I say Titans and Riverdale (ESPECIALLY Riverdale) qualify as evil. I don't say that lightly. I realize what a big statement it is.

Dr.Pepper

Personally I’m not a big fan of foul language or crass sex jokes, so I avoid programs with that kind of content, whether they be live action or animated. I’m not going to stop others from watching it if that’s what they are into.

One issue I have lately is that it seems like nearly every cable or streaming exclusive series for adults is TV-MA. I don’t have a problem with those shows existing, my problem is that they are the only thing that’s on.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
One issue I have lately is that it seems like nearly every cable or streaming exclusive series for adults is TV-MA. I don’t have a problem with those shows existing, my problem is that they are the only thing that’s on.

But that's not the case at all for animation. If anything animation is more restricted than live-action, even on streaming.

Yet people still complain about adult animation. The idea that Genndy Tartakovsky of all people being allowed to do an R-rated movie would be greeted with anything less than jubilation is downright bewildering to me.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
But that's not the case at all for animation. If anything animation is more restricted than live-action, even on streaming.

Yet people still complain about adult animation.
Let us say for the sake of argument that you are right and that people unfairly malign adult animation. What difference does that make? Does that make you like it less? Has it made networks and streaming services more reluctant to make it? If no to both questions, who cares what Mr. Enter thinks? Why does that bother you so much?

Edit:

Animation fans have a HUGE chip on their shoulders about the subject. The slightest criticism of it makes them lose their crap. It's not healthy.

Last edited:

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Let us say for the sake of argument that you are right and that people unfairly malign adult animation. What difference does that make? Does that make you like it less? Has it made networks and streaming services more reluctant to make it? If no to both questions, who cares what Mr. Enter thinks? Why does that bother you so much?

Edit:

Animation fans have a HUGE chip on their shoulders about the subject. The slightest criticism of it makes them lose their crap. It's not healthy.

It's the censorious nature of it. To a corporation, a tweet equals tens of thousands of viewer complaints.

If these guys had their way, adult animation either wouldn't exist or would be forced to be toned down to their sensibilities.

Pooky brought up the Hays Code in his wonderful post, and it seems like all of entertainment is lurching back towards that instead of running away from it.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Honestly, this thread is the first that I've heard of adult animation fans having a mad-on for adult animation. The thing of it is that studios wouldn't keep producing adult cartoons if fans didn't keep coming back for more. Personally, I don't care for rude and crude humor with lots of cursing, sex, pee and poo jokes of any kind, animated or live action, so those shows I consciously avoid. Downer shows like Steven Universe, Kipo and the Wonderbeasts and Infinity Train aren't my jam either, but that's just me.

Getting back to the point, while I do watch some content creators' videos on TV and streaming shows, I've never taken any of them as gospel, since they're just people with opinions and expressing them in a (usually) entertaining fashion. Mr. Enter is a hack who's takes on animated shows are ridiculous and who's presentation is embarrassing to watch. I don't care one whit what Enter thinks about anything, and I doubt that TV executives do either. Haters gonna hate, but if you enjoy the shows and are still able to enjoy them, how they feel about them shouldn't matter to you. I've yet to see any adult animated series that was taken down by a content creator on YouTube or by some mean tweets.

Last edited:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Could just be plain & simply pushback for the ever widening gap between animated content aimed at kids and adults with very very little in between from the western market.
You do have the vice-versa counter kickback of kid's shows being too [well this IP is now for actual babies]
Since when do mega-conglomerates give a crap about what a jerk on the internet says?
Johnny Depp v Amber Heard in the quite literal sense of what they went to court for

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Johnny Depp v Amber Heard in the quite literal sense of what they went to court for
Are you saying Mr. Enter has the reach and sway of either Johnny Depp OR Amber Heard? Or the ability to influence casting or projects being greenlit or canceled? Because I don't see it.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Are you saying Mr. Enter has the reach and sway of either Johnny Depp OR Amber Heard? Or the ability to influence casting or projects being greenlit or canceled? Because I don't see it.
I can keep the list going, but that's the most recent example
Who's the celebrity that got James Gunn fired?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I can keep the list going, but that's the most recent example
Who's the celebrity that got James Gunn fired?
The rightwing noise machine got James Gunn fired, but I see your point.

Edit:

That being said, you are describing people being "Canceled" for personal behavior and negative actions. That's actually different than getting a SHOW canceled due to fan complaints about the content. That used to be a fairly common occurrence actually, but it really doesn't happen anymore.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Mostezli said:
Could just be plain & simply pushback for the ever widening gap between animated content aimed at kids and adults with very very little in between from the western market.

I agree with this. A middle ground exists between Peppa Pig and Invincible, and more networks and streaming services should be scratching that itch.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
That being said, you are describing people being "Canceled" for personal behavior and negative actions. That's actually different than getting a SHOW canceled due to fan complaints about the content. That used to be a fairly common occurrence actually, but it really doesn't happen anymore.

Maybe not cancelled, but definitely toned. Love Death and Robots was watered down from a TV-MA to a TV-14 after the first season because people online complained about the sexual and violent content.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Maybe not cancelled, but definitely toned. Love Death and Robots was watered down from a TV-MA to a TV-14 after the first season because people online complained about the sexual and violent content.
where does it show the rating change? or is that just in observation of content difference?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
That's a pretty big allegation to make. Did the producers say they were forced to do that? More to the point, is it possible the producers took the complaints seriously because they had a point? Is the show better or worse for being TV-14?

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
That's a pretty big allegation to make. Did the producers say they were forced to do that? More to the point, is it possible the producers took the complaints seriously because they had a point? Is the show better or worse for being TV-14?

Worse. The second and third volumes are more obviously "mainstream Hollywood" and lack a lot of the rawness of Volume 1.

Ghoster1987

howdy
They really need to get people who are animators or artists in the field to create adult animated series more often. I don't get why networks don't do that unless you're Adult Swim which even for them results may vary.

Like why would you accept animated shows created and run by people who probably never drew a stick figure in their lives.

Petran Markou

There was a wave of change in the 70s with Fritz the Cat and the controversy it caused. Similarly around the same period, Hollywood actors, women included, saw a special screening of Deep Throat, to further encourage anti-establishment movies. Till they changed their opinion when background info about the movie started to emerge. 70s in general were much more liberated towards sex

Then all this was drowned in the 80s network protectionism and conservatism , especially against Japanese animated content. Conservatism existed also when supposedly Liberal parties were in charge as it is a popular tactic gaining votes by playing with Conservative reflexes

Notice that same reactions in Europe too about anime, even ones aimed at early elementary schoolers.

pay-TV and later streaming made things even worse because they segregated the viewers. But it was necessary because there was no way such animated series would be allowed on non-pay TV accessible to everyone.

And even then there is still pressure on the networks to modify or remove content. More recent victim the series Talespin on Disney + where they removed 2 episodes, one of which shows Chinese pandas attacking Cape Suzette so as not to offend Chinese viewers.

If even kids series cause such fear, adult series have it even worse.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
But that's just one show compared to all the other adult cartoons that have been made. But no one wants to talk about The Boondocks, or Venture Bros. or Moral Orel, or Duckman, or adult cartoons that aren't like Family Guy.

And the argument isn't that the adult content is overdone or witless, it's that it's there at all. Why say that bad adult cartoons should be more like Steven Universe as opposed to being more like, say, Aeon Flux or Futurama?

I guess the cherry picking as you described it in the first post is due to say the Family Guy type stuff being considered the majority while say the Futuramas are an exception instead of being the norm.

In contrast it can be argued that live action fare for adults vary in such tone/content in that there's a lot more less risqué fare or material that's more middle ground.

But with adult animation it seems like the Family Guys and Brickleberrys are at least the 75-99 percent.

I could be wrong, but if not, that is the best I can do for my take.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts