Why is there 1990s nostalgia all over the place, but almost no 2000s nostalgia to be found?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Have we had that many reboots/remakes/revivals of 90s animation already? Hmmm, let's see.

Bob the Builder reboot (2014)
The Powerpuff Girls (2016)
DuckTales (2017)
Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie (2017)
Beauty and the Beast (2017)
Carmen Sandiego (2019)
Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling (2019)
Aladdin (2019)
The Lion King (2019)
Blue's Clues and You! (2019)
Mulan (2020)
Animaniacs (2020)
Rugrats (2021)
Scooby-Doo meets Courage the Cowardly Dog (2021)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (TBA)
Freakazoid reboot (TBA)

I'm probably forgetting something.

5YearsOnEastCoast

I just hope there doesn't come a day when someone is nostalgic for CN Real.

"Bobb'e Says was so underrated!"

That (hopefully) will never happen. It bombed hard. I don't think that they would be nostalgic over any cartoon that exists. I never saw anybody liking Wacky World of Tex Avery.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Paul Rugg was hinting to it last year.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
Going off on a tangent here, but I noticed that NickRewind (formerly known as The 90's Are All That, The Splat, and NickSplat) is trying to cater to the 80's and 2000's crowd along with the 90's crowd. The block did air Jimmy Neutron, and it is currently airing Invader Zim early in the morning. As of now, they haven't aired any shows from the 80's. In addition to the shows, NickRewind is trying to be similar to MTV during its 90's glory days by playing music videos.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Paul Rugg was hinting to it last year.
I was gonna say, "your source is another AS post?" but then I noticed who it was from. An old user from back in the early TZ days, with deep connections. Keeper would know.

rattis1

Well, like other have said, nostalgia for a decade peaks 20 years after it ended. So now in the 2020's, we are definitely going to see a lot of 00's nostalgia... Which, for me personally, is something that bums me out a bit. See I grew up in the 90's, and I would love for 90's nostalgia to just keep being the big thing. The 00's for me was mostly a pretty crappy decade, and I'm not very fond of most of the pop culture from that era.

copper20

Eric
Oh boy, this one's going to be a long post.

My main issue is that the 2000s were just blech. Sure games were fine in the 2000s (There were some REALLY good games in the 2000s, Halo, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Tooie, Ratchet and Clank, PopCap, Counter Strike, etc.) but cartoons were going downhill, especially post-September 11. It's not like all of the cartoons of the 2000s were bad there were some really good ones. The initial four adult swim shows were incredible and I can definitely say that Season 12 of the Simpsons wasn't too bad, and of course SpongeBob was all over in the early 2000s.

But movies in general? Only Shrek and the *gulp* prequel star wars trilogies are the only movies I usually look at from that decade when it isn't Pixar. All of the action movies of the 2000s and even late 90s were littered with CGI and looking at them now they look completely trashy and grimy, even the 2010s movies weren't much better. Music was just complete garbage in the 2000s and even worse in the 2010s.

While I mentioned that video games were still really good in the 2000s, too many games started cashing in on the motion control gimmicks that plagued even the best of the decade like Super Mario Galaxy, and good luck trying to use the bow in Twilight Princess on the Wii! In fact speaking of Nintendo, all of the franchises they owned (except Pokemon) had a cold streak on the GameCube. Super Mario Sunshine was tedious with blue coins and those horrible "secret" levels, and Corona Mountain. (More like Coronavirus Mountain) Wind Waker was horrifically inferior to Ocarina of Time (The main complaint from people was it wasn't realistic looking whereas Ocarina of Time was JUST as cartoony as Wind Waker was.) with that awful sailing and the that rat Tingle basically panhandling you (THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FIXING THAT IN THE WII U VERSION!!!) just to get some triforce shards, and they made Ganondorf into some pathetic wimp when in Ocarina he was a selfish jerk that was hated by everyone including his OWN race! I tried to enjoy Twilight Princess but that one was just kind of confusing.

Music, well... I'm just gonna say that it was plagued with boy bands, emo, and rap music. None of which is enjoyable to me except Tupac and that was 90s. 80s metal rules! Halford and Rammstein were good in the late 90s and early 2000s though.

Simply put, almost every form of entertainment got contaminated shortly after September 11th 2001. I'm not trying to be political, but think about it; life just got more troublesome afterwards. The 1990s in general were a far more simpler time. No stupid selfies, no Coronavirus, no warm weather fanatics, better education, just.... better everything. Again it's not like the 1990s were the best times either; it had its' share of tragedies such as Barney the Dinosaur, Hurricane Mitch, the Andover (1991) and Moore (1999) tornadoes, the Columbine massacre, the Los Angeles riots, etc. It's just that the 2000s just started out fine, and then only 1 3/4 through the world just completely changed for the absolute worse, what with Hurricane Katrina, Virginia Tech massacre, and our educational system was completely thrashed.

Last edited:

rattis1

Oh boy, this one's going to be a long post.

My main issue is that the 2000s were just blech. Sure games were fine in the 2000s (There were some REALLY good games in the 2000s, Halo, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Tooie, Ratchet and Clank, PopCap, Counter Strike, etc.) but cartoons were going downhill, especially post-September 11. It's not like all of the cartoons of the 2000s were bad there were some really good ones. The initial four adult swim shows were incredible and I can definitely say that Season 12 of the Simpsons wasn't too bad, and of course SpongeBob was all over in the early 2000s.

But movies in general? Only Shrek and the *gulp* prequel star wars trilogies are the only movies I usually look at from that decade when it isn't Pixar. All of the action movies of the 2000s and even late 90s were littered with CGI and looking at them now they look completely trashy and grimy, even the 2010s movies weren't much better. Music was just complete garbage in the 2000s and even worse in the 2010s.

While I mentioned that video games were still really good in the 2000s, too many games started cashing in on the motion control gimmicks that plagued even the best of the decade like Super Mario Galaxy, and good luck trying to use the bow in Twilight Princess on the Wii! In fact speaking of Nintendo, all of the franchises they owned (except Pokemon) had a cold streak on the GameCube. Super Mario Sunshine was tedious with blue coins and those horrible "secret" levels, and Corona Mountain. (More like Coronavirus Mountain) Wind Waker was horrifically inferior to Ocarina of Time (The main complaint from people was it wasn't realistic looking whereas Ocarina of Time was JUST as cartoony as Wind Waker was.) with that awful sailing and the that rat Tingle basically panhandling you (THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FIXING THAT IN THE WII U VERSION!!!) just to get some triforce shards, and they made Ganondorf into some pathetic wimp when in Ocarina he was a selfish jerk that was hated by everyone including his OWN race! I tried to enjoy Twilight Princess but that one was just kind of confusing.

Music, well... I'm just gonna say that it was plagued with boy bands, emo, and rap music. None of which is enjoyable to me except Tupac and that was 90s. 80s metal rules! Halford and Rammstein were good in the late 90s and early 2000s though.

Simply put, almost every form of entertainment got contaminated shortly after September 11th 2001. I'm not trying to be political, but think about it; life just got more troublesome afterwards. The 1990s in general were a far more simpler time. No stupid selfies, no Coronavirus, no warm weather fanatics, better education, just.... better everything. Again it's not like the 1990s were the best times either; it had its' share of tragedies such as Barney the Dinosaur, Hurricane Mitch, the Andover (1991) and Moore (1999) tornadoes, the Columbine massacre, the Los Angeles riots, etc. It's just that the 2000s just started out fine, and then only 1 3/4 through the world just completely changed for the absolute worse, what with Hurricane Katrina, Virginia Tech massacre, and our educational system was completely thrashed.

You and me both! I didn't feel like going into lenghts in my earlier post in this thread, but I also feel that most forms of entertainment was in a rather bad state in the 00's.

copper20

Eric
That (hopefully) will never happen. It bombed hard. I don't think that they would be nostalgic over any cartoon that exists. I never saw anybody liking Wacky World of Tex Avery.
Some people ACTUALLY are nostalgic about Barney and Friends. No joke. The same with the Teletubbies. If those are the case then I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one person like Wacky World of Tex Avery.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This thread reminds me a bit of this comment from another website :D
1587306002683.png

Some people seem to be unaware that an average life lasts about 80 years. If you are going to be drown in nostalgia for 60 of those years...

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Well, like other have said, nostalgia for a decade peaks 20 years after it ended. So now in the 2020's, we are definitely going to see a lot of 00's nostalgia... Which, for me personally, is something that bums me out a bit. See I grew up in the 90's, and I would love for 90's nostalgia to just keep being the big thing. The 00's for me was mostly a pretty crappy decade, and I'm not very fond of most of the pop culture from that era.

Only so many truly good cartoons came out for me in the 00s that still hold up, IMHO. Despite some personal gripes here and there, the 2010s is still my favorite decade for this medium, regardless. In some ways, I can kinda see your point.

Although, even though I grew up in the 90s and 00s, only so many (but still a reasonably large amount of, thankfully.) shows hold up for me from either decade, now - nothing changes the fact that the 90s and 00s still had the common courtesy to be more OK with violent material, something I'd like to that little bit more of in this current decade that unfortunately slouched off in this past decade (the 2010s), honestly.

Some people ACTUALLY are nostalgic about Barney and Friends. No joke. The same with the Teletubbies. If those are the case then I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one person like Wacky World of Tex Avery.

Yeah.....
EW.
EW.
EW.
EW.
EEEEEWWWW.

Dr.Pepper

-Simply put, almost every form of entertainment got contaminated shortly after September 11th 2001. I'm not trying to be political, but think about it; life just got more troublesome afterwards. The 1990s in general were a far more simpler time. No stupid selfies, no Coronavirus, no warm weather fanatics, better education, just.... better everything. Again it's not like the 1990s were the best times either; it had its' share of tragedies such as Barney the Dinosaur, Hurricane Mitch, the Andover (1991) and Moore (1999) tornadoes, the Columbine massacre, the Los Angeles riots, etc. It's just that the 2000s just started out fine, and then only 1 3/4 through the world just completely changed for the absolute worse, what with Hurricane Katrina, Virginia Tech massacre, and our educational system was completely thrashed.
I respectfully disagree. I’m not sure how old you are, but I was an adolescent in the 2000’s. I am nostalgic for things from that era. Just because there were natural or man made disasters, doesn’t mean that everything was trash. A personal example would be Im nostalgic for watching Pepper Ann on Toon Disney. When did my family first get the channel? September 2001! I didn’t let the fact that one of the worst terrorist attacks in history just happened cloud my mind from enjoying something.

creator

The 2000's nostalgia is already here and it will continue to grow as more kids from that era find themselves with disposable income. I've experienced it in my circle of friends (late 20's / early 30's). It's so strange hearing friends talk about things like Nintendo and Samurai Jack again. I guess I'm just lucky that I spent so much time doing uncool things that they became cool again haha.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Dr Martin Luther King Jr Day, everybody!
I can see predictions of Nickelodeon Making the next Sonic Cartoon after Sonic Prime, Mainly Because they mentioned Sonic the Hedgehog on today's Broadcast of the Dallas-49ers Wild Card Game on Nickelodeon

And the Sonic Movie 2 TV spot.

Talk about going the extra mile.
One thing I like about Amazon and Netflix original films is that they’re greenlighting or picking up movies that are riskier,niche,or alternative then most major studio films in the last 5 years or so.

Sure they’re not all winners but at least you can tell they give writers and directors more freedom with their projects
today marks the first anniversary of when tvguide.com had rebranded their website.

Featured Posts