Why Sonic X needs an uncut dub (and how it could work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
First, before I start, I would like to address some of the reasons people have given to me as to why it couldn't happen.

It's too niche of a series: Even niche series can get redubs. Prince of Tennis, which was originally dubbed by Viz in a slightly edited state, was later redubbed by Funimation in an uncut state.

It's too long: Prince of Tennis is technically longer. Sonic X has 78 episodes, while Prince of Tennis has 178. Funimation is dubbing all of those 178 episodes.

It's a bit too risque for Sega: Honestly, the only things I could see being a bit risque are Rouge and some of the swearing. Rouge shouldn't be changed at all, as that is her character. As for the swearing, maybe tone it down a bit, but replace it with more milder swears.

And now on to the reason you are here. Here is why I think Sonic X needs an uncut dub, and how exactly it could work.

All things considered, Sonic X is still very popular in the Sonic fandom. It is probably the most game-accurate adaptation we have as of now. Chris may be a bit of a whiny brat, but maybe a new actor/actress could fix that. Also, a new dub would have less cheesy lines (if you have seen the 4Kids dub, you know what I am talking about). Because most dubs nowadays stick to being as close to the Japanese version as possible, the lines in the uncut dub would be genuinely funny and pretty serious when it needs to. That leads into another thing: dubbing practices have changed over the years. Most dubs nowadays are uncut. They even keep the original music intact. This is something 4Kids did not do. The soundtrack in the dub never stops, it just keeps playing. A new dub would not have that problem.

Now, how exactly would a new dub work? Well, it would have to be recorded in Los Angeles, because that is where the voice acting for the games is recorded. The current games cast would reprise their roles. It would most likely be distributed by either Viz Media, Discotek, or TMS Entertainment's US branch.

So, what do you guys think? Are you now convinced that an uncut dub of Sonic X is possible? Or do you disagree with my points? Let me know.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
I didn't really like Sonic X and I watched most of the sub and dub. I think the franchise is better off moving forward.

aegisrawks

I really want a redub as well. Also another redub for Latin America.

I would love to see Cosmo's death uncut.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I wouldn't really say that it would be too risque for Sega, but I don't think that they'd be that interested in doing more with the Sonic X brand. They'd probably be more interested in just pushing out new games and doing more with the live action movies given how successful they have been. The idea of using the current voice cast from the game sounds nice, but I think that Sega would have more priorities on other aspects of the franchise instead of redubbing Sonic X.

Pooky

Staff member
I just can't see it happening. The dub that exists may fall short for many fans, but it serves Sonic's primary audience, kids, just fine. Those that are most bothered by the dub have likely watched it subbed by this point. I'd watch it if it were made, but I don't see it being made.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I really don't think Sonic X needs an uncut dub, if I'm being honest. I mean, would it improve from the original dub? I'm just unsure about that.

Streaker Prower

I really think that a Redub can happen in the vain of 2018 Gundam Build Divers. That was dubbed in LA, And was a Faithful Dub of the series while still being Family Friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts