Why was it so hard to establish a "4th" kids network

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
i wish fox television animation was formed in like 1988 or 1989 maybe started out as 20th television animation and producing children shows for fox kids and the simpsons before renaming it to fox television animation in 1994 with the foundation of fox animation studios, and if fox kids got a channel like in europe and as a sister channel to fox family make original programing maybe they get cross promotion for not only fox animation but also blue sky, dreamworks, and locksmith and make shows based on blue sky and boom you got fox kids to complete with the 3 kids networks and be the fourth one
Too much wishful thinking, not enough proofreading.

Streaker Prower

I Guess This why Sony Has Never made a Kids TV Network or Streaming Service in General, and License their Movies and TV Shows to other Network and Streaming Services, one day Sony Will buy PBS and Commercialize it and turn PBS into the Sony Network and turn PBS Kids into Sony Kids

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I Guess This why Sony Has Never made a Kids TV Network or Streaming Service in General, and License their Movies and TV Shows to other Network and Streaming Services, one day Sony Will buy PBS and Commercialize it and turn PBS into the Sony Network and turn PBS Kids into Sony Kids

PBS is owned by the government, it would be pretty hard for Sony to just buy it and turn it into a commercial station and that wouldn't make much business sense.

Streaker Prower

Yup, I agree. If The Hub Network would've lasted much longer if it was on basic cable instead of high tier digital cable, then I think it could worked. But no, it didn't happened. It also didn't help that Mattel and Lego backed away from The Hub as much as possible because they thought it'll cause more harm to their business than good.

As for this topic at hand? I think the problem of launching a fourth kids network is that these companies are trying so hard to get into the kids market and trying to be like the big three kids networks but they completely don't understand on what made them so great.

You can say whatever you want about Nick, CN, and Disney and you can say whatever opinion you want about their shows, but at least you can acknowledged that they changed. They evolved. They're not the same networks decades upon decades prior. Sure, they kept the core aspect on what made them so special in the first place, but as demographics changes, and kids taste's changed, they had to keep on changing in order to stay afloat for many years. Something that Fox Family, Discovery Hub, and Universal Kids tried and failed to do.

Let me put it this way, If the big three kids networks kept airing the same shows and movies when they first launched on TV back in the day for many many years to come, they're done. End of story.

But I'll say this. Unlike, the other two, at least with The Hub tried to do something different and at least they tried to evolved, but they completely falls apart many years later due a lot of people focusing on Netflix now than anything.

I think Benzie Johnson Jr made very good point on why it's hard to launch a new channel in the USA on his Discovery Family video. (Timestamp: 7:07-7:25)

I think that statement on what he said still rings true on what the topic question that we are in right now.

Since we are living the streaming age, a lot of people consuming their content on streaming services than on cable TV. Sure, they had good shows on cable TV right now, but streaming services are the most popular and more profitable right now during these struggling times.

Will they be a fourth competitor in the kids TV industry in the future? Absolutely not. Cable TV lost it's popularity in recent years, so doing a fourth kids network in this day and age is a waste of time and money, to be honest.

Streaming services, on the other hand? I can defiantly see the possibility. The big three kids networks has their own streaming services in recent times like Nick with CBS All Access/Paramount Plus, Disney with Disney Plus, Hulu, and ESPN Plus, and CN with HBO Max and the Boomerang app. Granted, the fourth competitors kinda had that already like Universal Kids with Peacock, Fox with their owns shows and movies on Disney Plus and Hulu, and Discovery Family has their own GO app which let's be honest, I really doubt people using that app anyways.

So I guess it's safe to say that Universal and Fox did adapt pretty decently in the streaming market right now with their own kids content. But with Discovery? They just don't care.

Honestly, at this point, I can't wait for Hasbro just ripped up the contract with Discovery next year because there is no point for Hasbro to keeping airing their shows on a network that no gives a crap about these days. Used to with The Hub, but with Discovery? Nah!

I mean they bought Entertainment One recently, so who's to say that Hasbro can make their own streaming service in the future? I just want to see The Hub come back because I'm getting sick and tired of Discovery's crap. It may take a long time to do that, but anything is possible.

So that's my take on it.

What do you think?
I think Discovery will just continue to use Discovery Family as what it is and fix there schedule

Streaker Prower

PBS is owned by the government, it would be pretty hard for Sony to just buy it and turn it into a commercial station and that wouldn't make much business sense.
Also why doesn’t the animation Comunity really talk about PBS Kids outside of the 1 Billion Rants about why Cailiou Sucks and is the worst thing since Patty the pelican

Streaker Prower

Yup, I agree. If The Hub Network would've lasted much longer if it was on basic cable instead of high tier digital cable, then I think it could worked. But no, it didn't happened. It also didn't help that Mattel and Lego backed away from The Hub as much as possible because they thought it'll cause more harm to their business than good.

As for this topic at hand? I think the problem of launching a fourth kids network is that these companies are trying so hard to get into the kids market and trying to be like the big three kids networks but they completely don't understand on what made them so great.

You can say whatever you want about Nick, CN, and Disney and you can say whatever opinion you want about their shows, but at least you can acknowledged that they changed. They evolved. They're not the same networks decades upon decades prior. Sure, they kept the core aspect on what made them so special in the first place, but as demographics changes, and kids taste's changed, they had to keep on changing in order to stay afloat for many years. Something that Fox Family, Discovery Hub, and Universal Kids tried and failed to do.

Let me put it this way, If the big three kids networks kept airing the same shows and movies when they first launched on TV back in the day for many many years to come, they're done. End of story.

But I'll say this. Unlike, the other two, at least with The Hub tried to do something different and at least they tried to evolved, but they completely falls apart many years later due a lot of people focusing on Netflix now than anything.

I think Benzie Johnson Jr made very good point on why it's hard to launch a new channel in the USA on his Discovery Family video. (Timestamp: 7:07-7:25)

I think that statement on what he said still rings true on what the topic question that we are in right now.

Since we are living the streaming age, a lot of people consuming their content on streaming services than on cable TV. Sure, they had good shows on cable TV right now, but streaming services are the most popular and more profitable right now during these struggling times.

Will they be a fourth competitor in the kids TV industry in the future? Absolutely not. Cable TV lost it's popularity in recent years, so doing a fourth kids network in this day and age is a waste of time and money, to be honest.

Streaming services, on the other hand? I can defiantly see the possibility. The big three kids networks has their own streaming services in recent times like Nick with CBS All Access/Paramount Plus, Disney with Disney Plus, Hulu, and ESPN Plus, and CN with HBO Max and the Boomerang app. Granted, the fourth competitors kinda had that already like Universal Kids with Peacock, Fox with their owns shows and movies on Disney Plus and Hulu, and Discovery Family has their own GO app which let's be honest, I really doubt people using that app anyways.

So I guess it's safe to say that Universal and Fox did adapt pretty decently in the streaming market right now with their own kids content. But with Discovery? They just don't care.

Honestly, at this point, I can't wait for Hasbro just ripped up the contract with Discovery next year because there is no point for Hasbro to keeping airing their shows on a network that no gives a crap about these days. Used to with The Hub, but with Discovery? Nah!

I mean they bought Entertainment One recently, so who's to say that Hasbro can make their own streaming service in the future? I just want to see The Hub come back because I'm getting sick and tired of Discovery's crap. It may take a long time to do that, but anything is possible.

So that's my take on it.

What do you think?
Also NBCUniversal (The Owners of Universal Kids) Also Own

Dr.Pepper

Also why doesn’t the animation Comunity really talk about PBS Kids outside of the 1 Billion Rants about why Cailiou Sucks and is the worst thing since Patty the pelican
I think it’s because most of their shows gear towards younger kids, and sites like these are mostly populated by teens and adults.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.

Eh, I don't know about that. That would be a terrible idea.

I think Discovery will just continue to use Discovery Family as what it is and fix there schedule

I'm gonna had to disagree with you because 'fixing their schedule' just isn't enough. I much rather had a complete overhaul (both the channel and management) than fixing their schedule. Discovery may want to 'keep' Discovery Family as it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if Discovery want to change to DF into something else like they usually would their other Discovery channels because there's no point of keeping it around anymore, unless if they want to keep their partnership with Hasbro and actually do something with it (which I doubt).

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are all media. More time consumed on YouTube = less time can be consumed watching TV / Netflix.
I halfway agree with that; I usually have the TV on every evening & mess around on my pc or phone at the same time.

TheMisterManGuy

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are all media. More time consumed on YouTube = less time can be consumed watching TV / Netflix.
YouTube is that weird space between social media and streaming. You can watch YouTube videos on your TV through the various apps like Netflix, and you can also comment on and upload videos as well.

RegularCapital

Staff member
The UK has a population that's five times smaller than the United States, but yet has more or near enough the same amount of kids channels (BBC, ITV, WarnerMedia, ViacomCBS and Sony all operate channels), even Nick and CN do well with a competitive free-TV market, Disney didn't do too well.

I guess the reason why there isn't a fourth competitor is the difficulty on getting carriage, which is tougher in the States than it is here. If there has to be a competitor it has to be a FTA broadcast channel because of cord-cutting, it would be interesting to see a channel like POP launch in the U.S. or/and an AVOD streaming service, a standalone subscription service just for kids won't be successful.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts