"Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

"Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" - Discuss and Rate this DC Universe Movie title!

• Total voters

iammattie

Tucker said the present day story was conceived to take place after the events of Batman: Hush.
Just now seeing this. Really intrigued cause he suggested to me the other day that a year passed between the intro and War, so this would place War to Hush/Bloodlined within a 4 year span. Previously calculated it to 5, but I suppose it could work

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Just now seeing this. Really intrigued cause he suggested to me the other day that a year passed between the intro and War, so this would place War to Hush/Bloodlined within a 4 year span. Previously calculated it to 5, but I suppose it could work
I haven't seen Bloodlines yet but anticipating Tucker would say something like that and having seen that early clip stating the flashback 5 years ago, I starting thinking of a contingency idea that Bloodlines took place in January-ish 2019 so the Bloodlines intro starts in January 2014 (push Hush to November-January and previously I settled on War being in November-ish 2014 based on stuff like daylight savings and the football state finals game) so I'd trim it to 11+ months -- enough to round up to 12 months so nothing is contradicted. But again, I still have to see the movie for myself then brood about math things before I form any real opinion.

Otaku-sempai

I picked up the steelbook today, though I still haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the movie (I have however watched the "Death" short). I do note that the policy of the DC Universe animated movies showing up on the streaming service on the day of physical release did not last long at all.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I picked up the steelbook today, though I still haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the movie (I have however watched the "Death" short). I do note that the policy of the DC Universe animated movies showing up on the streaming service on the day of physical release did not last long at all.
Yep, I missed it at first glance but during NYCC it was revealed the movies would now release on DCU 90 days after the physical release so we won't see Bloodlines on the streaming service until January 20, 2020. Seems like a long wait...

Lord Sidious

Her personality in the beginning is totally different from JL War.

In JL War, she was naive and war prone. While in this one she was already reserve and wise from the beginning.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
3/5 to me.

What I liked

--I like how it presents both sides of Wonder Woman and not just the powerhouse warrior in the Justice League. There's also the part of Wonder Woman who never stops caring for others whether be her friends and family or a civilian she saves from a desperate masked bandit.
---From the start, Diana empathizes with Vanessa over having a strong mother and reassures her things will get better.
---Or instead of beating a minotaur to a pulp, Wonder Woman uses her wits and frees him from the maze then pledges to take care of him.
---Even against a giant-sized Medusa, Wonder Woman tries to plea with her to abandon hostility with the Amazons.

--But don't get me wrong, I'm not against awesome action sequences. And this movie has them but done in new ways, not just the same old choreography, angles, and staging. There's also some nice little touches like Wonder Woman running up Giganta and later, Medusa's arm to sock them or her using a piece of floor to take out Poison's armed goons. The balance of emotion and action can no doubt be credited to the co-directors of the movie, Sam Liu and Justin Copeland.

--I did enjoy that this movie also has the long awaited return of Steve Trevor who disappeared after a quick appearance in "Justice League: Throne of Atlants" and we were left wonder if he quit as the League's liaison or not. There's also the nice little details to flesh out the continuity like the arrival of Parademons, a newly rebuilt Hall of Justice, or Wonder Woman acknowledging she's no longer dating Superman. Plus, if you ever wondered about the pretext to the drive to the White House in War like I have, we finally got an answer.

--I also liked how they didn't shy away from Etta Candy's more modern interpretation - her plus size, being more than a desk hugging secretary, her sexuality, and serving as a foil to Steve. She could have used more scenes but I liked they seemed to put some effort into her being the third partner and not a sidekick.

--There's also some sampling of two great runs from the Wonder Woman comics, the George Perez and Greg Rucka eras. Ferdinand, I believe, and most of the villains are from the Perez run (and I totally welcome the notion of a minotaur living in the Hall of Justice) while the supporting cast are mostly Rucka. I kinda wish there was a end credit teaser of one of the Leaguers entering the Hall, seeing Ferdiand for the first time, and cue the awkward silence.

--Steven Choi both emulating Bourassa's style but also throwing in his own touch.

The issues I had with the movie. Ultimately, I'm not all convinced four movies a year from this line is better than three. I suspects the constraints of the production schedule and budget might have been a bit too much.

--Whether the script needed just one more round of polish or a restructuring to fix the odd pacing is moot. You could even argue it should have been two separate movies. One in this 5 years ago era, flesh out the 20 minutes to a whole movie and build things up. Then have the pay off in the second movie set in the present. Or maybe the movie should have been shifting between past and present until the final act rather than all of the past in one chunk.

--The 20 minute origin story makes a sudden time skip to the present and the audience is left to fill in a bit too many blanks that Vanessa was manipulated and nudged towards a rather extreme choice when all we really see is 'teen step sister jealousy syndrome.' Yeah, they peppered in that she was a straight A, took martial arts, worked for Cale but not enough, imo.

--Or a little like "Batman: Bad Blood" or "Batman: Hush," a whole ton of rogues march out to oppose Wonder Woman -- while very cool to watch and take in... it could be a bit much to some and all these villains are totally expendable and forgettable chess pieces if you don't already have some comic book knowledge of them.
---For instance. It was also a bit of a shame that Giganta and Cheetah have just one scene and aren't there to the end. Still, it's progressively a meatier role for Cheetah compared to her appearance in "Justice League vs. Teen Titans" fighting Wonder Woman.
---Then Villainy Inc. kinda just putters out and are replaced with a big monster battle with no real stakes because we know about the healing ray from the start... and then the real culprit is left standing as a bit of an afterthought in a teaser scene as the credits heat up.

--It's been awhile since I've really read up on Amazon society in the comics but does it always stay classic armor, spears, and arrows? They made a big deal about tech like the healing ray or the cloak around the island but you'd think they would tinker with weapons to avoid a breach by modern society?

--Some of the dialogue comes off a bit flat and could have used polish. The Qurac delivery scene comes to mind.

--Was Digital emation the only studio available...?

"The Cheetah: Ferocious Archenemy" was pretty much an 11 minute abbreviated history and commentary on the two main figures to hold the mantle of Cheetah. I recall there was the creenwriter Mairghread Scott, host of DC Daily Amy Dallen, Ames Kirshen from DC Entertainment, and Rosario Dawson but none of the people who worked on WW comics or past voice actors. And footage from the movie and from the classic Challenge of the Super Friends. It was somewhat interesting they went into the transformative aspects of Cheetah, both the literal and figurative. The shameless plug for the upcoming Wonder Woman 84 live action movie at the end was hammy. While it is a good primer on the villain, I was left wondering why the featurette didn't also focus on the other villains of the movie. Especially with Wonder Woman, the general public doesn't have a deep knowledge of her rogues gallery compared to Batman and Superman so a featurette about all who appear in the movie seems like slam dunk of an idea. Granted, perhaps this featurette was finalized before the story shifted from Cheetah to Villainy Inc. in the drafting phase.

Bottom line. It's been 10 years since we had a Wonder Woman solo animated movie. Let's hope it's not another 10. I want to get to a point where we're tired of seeing Wonder Woman movies like we keep complaining when another Batman movie gets announced. I want, and I know I'm not the only one, to see a genuine solo Wonder Woman animated series before I turn gray and senile. While it did suffer from a faulty script and from trying to do everything at once, "Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" is proof positive such a series of movies and animated series can and will work. She doesn't have to just keep appearing as part of a team! She has just as interesting a supporting cast as Batman or Superman, a really untapped rogues gallery, and a rich mythology that's been explored in animation off and on and not enough.

In JL War, she was naive and war prone. While in this one she was already reserve and wise from the beginning.
You've rewatched War? I recall she was walked out the White House and was bombastic and jumped right into battle against the Parademons -- the former, yeah she was being kinda haughty but after watching this movie, I concluded she was getting annoyed with the U.S. government missions she was being sent on because it conflicted with her Amazon mission to protect the world. The latter, well it was her warrior training kicking in. Pointing her sword at the ice cream guy, well that was more ripped from the Origin comic, wasn't it? Naive, well I'd contend she still is in the present day story -- I mean, it took her whole movie to figure out it was Cale. Or somehow still doesn't know to correctly say "the harder they fall" so...idk, moot. I can kind of see what you're saying but they had to tow the line of setting up story points for this movie and continuity patrol.

Last edited:

Zentron

Trying to watch this right now, but the horrendous animation is really putting me off! What was the budget? Twenty bucks?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Trying to watch this right now, but the horrendous animation is really putting me off! What was the budget? Twenty bucks?
Digital eMation isn't exactly my favorite animation studio so I can understand your reaction.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I thought the animation and the characters designs were really great but the story wasn't the best.

Pretty much my thoughts. I was actually getting into it at first before I realized it was just going to be this story of jealousy and parental issues, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ABrown

This is exactly what I was thinking after watching this movie. What happened to the lovable funny fish out of water Wonder Woman that we saw in War? I wish that Michelle Monaghan would've continued to voice the character after War, I like her portrayal a lot more than Rosario Dawson's.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

I think the original Keri Russell cartoon movie got a LOT of slack because there wasn't a ton of Wonder Woman in media to compare it to, much less an entire movie. Next to Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman: Bloodlines suffers for the comparison. The Bruce Timm cartoon admittedly had an easier job, but this movie wasn't great either.

Let's talk about things I liked and things I didn't. I did not like Vanessa's redemption story. While I believe Julia WAS a horrible mother, and it's no wonder the kid became messed up, I don't feel the need to see her redeemed because she's a straight-up murderer. Oh, you forgot about that, did you? So did the producers apparently. It's a pretty neat racket being the friend of a famous superhero. You will literally get away with murder.

On the other side of the fence, it beats me why Diana doesn't bring Veronica into the authorities at the end. She already knows everything. Is it because she can't prove it in a court of Man's law? Then maybe she should be taking her to a trip to Themyscria after all to face some Amazon justice. It's what she deserves.

Those are my biggest gripes. There were two or three things I liked. The Gargoyles fan in me thinks it's fun to hear Michael Dorn voice a Minotaur. Bonus points for the movie basically turning him into Diana's butler midway through.

I also thought the idea that Diana blinded herself with Medusa's venom so she couldn't be turned to stone was quite clever. Is that from Greek mythology? Because it really should have been. Basically that one thing was better than the Greek Myth. Take a bow, producers. As underwhelmed as I was with the rest of it, that's still a feat and impressive.

But I think nothing beats Gal Gadot, cartoon or otherwise. ***.

Superman: Red Son Sneak Peek:

Lois and Lex? Ick! Paul Williams? Yay! What is Jim Krieg doing in that Soviet military uniform? What a freaking goofball. ****.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
December 6th, 2019:
I also thought the idea that Diana blinded herself with Medusa's venom so she couldn't be turned to stone was quite clever. Is that from Greek mythology? Because it really should have been.

The blinding herself was straight out of the Rucka run in 2004 or so. I give credit to the movie creators for paying homage to popular elements from WW comics, and in fact, the movie feels a little like her greatest hits from 1987-2012 in one movie. On the flip side, because it pulls many ideas from different runs, few (if any) of those ideas get the full payoff that the comic counterparts received. None of us readers really believed that WW would stay blind in the comics, but it had lasting impact for a few issues. When I was watching the movie, I thought the self-blinding was cool, but I knew the Purple Healing Ray was right around the corner.

April 3rd, 2020:
Just out of curiosity, I looked up sales numbers for this movie. Per the-numbers.com, BluRay sales were at $1,654,425. That's 58% of what Reign of the Supermen brought in. Obviously, digital sales are not included, but this has got to be a disappointing number for Warner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts