Would Family Friendly DVD Movies Be In CGI?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

When it was mentioned about the Super Sons getting adapted into a CGI DVD movie, my first thought was that it was going to be one of those PG-13 movies that are in the usual DVD lineup aimed at older audiences. However, I recently discovered that the comic is apparently from the DC Zoom/DC Comics Graphic Novels For Kids. This is something meant to be a gateway for younger audiences to be introduced to DC Comics. I actually own some of these graphic novels, mainly Primer and 2 graphic novels from the 2015 DC Superhero Girls, and they definitely have the vibe of mainly being lighthearted fare with some serious moments to help market them to young audiences. I've never read Super Sons, but I assume it's in a similar boat of being lighthearted enough to be family friendly yet still has some serious moments.

I bring this up mainly in regards to what the movie's target audience is. Is it a family friendly movie where it's mostly lighthearted but with some seriousness thrown in, or will it be more for the older audience of teenagers and adults? If it's something meant to be family friendly, will future family friendly DVD movies also be CGI? Would it be seen as an indicator of what's family friendly and what isn't in order to market the movie to a certain audience? While it's not a spoken rule in the television animation industry (and there can be some exceptions) , there does seem to be something that indicates how CGI animation is to help market to a younger audience while 2D animation is to help market to an older audience. Take for example Paramount Plus. The 2D content that debuted on there (like Star Trek Lower Decks and that 2D news show with Stephen Colbert or some other celebrity) are for older audiences while the Nickelodeon animated content that debuted there first is all in CGI (The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run, The Paw Patrol Movie, Kamp Koral, the Rugrats reboot, Star Trek Prodigy, and the upcoming Big Nate series). Would people still think of Star Trek Prodigy as a kids show if it was 2D instead of CGI? Similarly, when you look at Disney, outside of What If, the various Star Wars shows, Tron Uprising, and Monsters At Work, their CGI shows are usually for the Disney Junior audience while it's usually their older skewing shows that get to be 2D. Bringing the conversation back to DC, the only confirmed upcoming movie that is family friendly is the crossover between DC Superhero Girls 2019 and Teen Titans Go (and possibly that Scooby Doo/Krypto movie), which is 2D. After that, what else do we have that's 2D? Will family friendly movies be CGI? Sorry if this is long. What do you think?

Otaku-sempai

I don't think that such movies, targeted at a younger demographic, need to exclusively be made in CGI. I'd like to see a hypothetical adaptation of Superman Smashes the Klan animated in a more traditional form but in the same style as the graphic novel.

1643509332501.png

harry580

I don't know, I remember seeing something about a idea of a multiverse superman movie in lines of spiderverse

the_joker

I don't see a reason for family friendly DTV movies to be exclusively in CG.

I remember an interview from Giancarlo Volpe stating that CG animation is more expensive to produce than hand-drawn animation. Admittedly, this was in regards to GL:TAS, which is just a bit more than 10 years ago, so I don't know how much that idea applies now. I'd say with technology for CG animation constantly improving, the costs are either roughly the same or more expensive, but I'm going on a tangent.

The bottom line is that I don't think future movies for younger viewers need to be in CG. I'm pretty sure the marketing for traditionally animated movies would still look like lighthearted adventures, and I don't think a child would just latch onto something because it's in 3D. And I'm also not sure if something like Primer would even look good in CG, or at least lower-budget CG.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts