Would it be feasible to get an independent Comic Book streaming service?

the greenman

The first and closest we've had was DC Universe which lasted from 2018-2021. It was of course going to highly limited for strictly DC comics films and television. However, it ran into licensing issues such as the Dark Knight trilogy being pulled off of it fairly quickly (probably first month). Which if people hadn't subscribed long enough were left with older content. No problem there, as many youth had no access to alot of older content.

It featured exclusive content such as a new season of popular CN series Young Justice, new series of Swamp Thing, Titans (live action Teen Titans), Doom Patrol, and an animated unrated Harley Quinn series. As a former subscriber, my issue was the lack of some of DC's content. That being no USA Swamp Thing series or the two films which are owned by Universal. We couldn't have the very popular CW series for rights issues as well. We did get HD versions of the old 70's Captain Marvel/SHAZAM tv series and Wonder Woman. Just wasn't enough to sustain the audience.

With Marvel we had few upticks of popular series such as X-Men, Avengers: EMH, and older Spider-man & His Amazing Friends. Yet, Sony was and is holding onto some Spider-man content like Spectacular Spider-man. Don't know why Disney are not trying to get the 60's Marvel Heroes (Captain America, Iron Man, Namor Submariner, Mighty Thor). Universal is still holding onto the original Bixby/Ferigno Incredible Hulk tv show.

Now those studios are not likely to give up their IP any time soon. However, they are not the only studios to own superhero or comicbook films. Going back to even the 1970's we had the Tales From the Crypt movies (Vault of Horror was the other). Was at one point distributed by Fox and WB. Now who knows. Then the 90's with Dark Horse & other independent stuff, Tank Girl, Ghost World, The Mask, Sin City, The Crow, and Judge Dredd. Getting into television there were those created for film like Isis (DC again), TMNT (Paramount), Bucky O'Hare, Savage Dragon, The Maxx, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Sam & Max, Fish Police, and of course The Tick.

What would be needed is a television network or even something like Amazon that could theoretically pay for it. This idea would be similar in nature to Shudder.com presented by AMC TV. What say you all?

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

It featured exclusive content such as a new season of popular CN series Young Justice, new series of Swamp Thing, Titans (live action Teen Titans), Doom Patrol, and an animated unrated Harley Quinn series. As a former subscriber, my issue was the lack of some of DC's content. That being no USA Swamp Thing series or the two films which are owned by Universal. We couldn't have the very popular CW series for rights issues as well. We did get HD versions of the old 70's Captain Marvel/SHAZAM tv series and Wonder Woman. Just wasn't enough to sustain the audience.
DC also doesn't have the Batman '66 series since they're under Disney as it was produced by 20th Century Fox.
With Marvel we had few upticks of popular series such as X-Men, Avengers: EMH, and older Spider-man & His Amazing Friends. Yet, Sony was and is holding onto some Spider-man content like Spectacular Spider-man. Don't know why Disney are not trying to get the 60's Marvel Heroes (Captain America, Iron Man, Namor Submariner, Mighty Thor). Universal is still holding onto the original Bixby/Ferrigno Incredible Hulk TV show.
Marvel also doesn't have the first Fantastic Four cartoon since they're under Warner Bros. as it was produced by Hanna-Barbera.

the greenman

DC also doesn't have the Batman '66 series since they're under Disney as it was produced by 20th Century Fox.
Well, I will give a better detailed explanation a little later in this post on other stuff. To answer this factoid, I believe WB made a deal with 20th century Fox for the rights to the TV series on DVD. #1 Pretty sure that probably did not involve streaming rights. #2 That was before the Disney acquisition of 20th century FOX. So it looks like it might be in some sort of limbo for WB right now.

Marvel also doesn't have the first Fantastic Four cartoon since they're under Warner Bros. as it was produced by Hanna-Barbera.
This involves WB as well. A little tricky as, yes, they had the original 60's FF animated series (probably the best interpretation of FF). The later 70's iteration involved H.E.R.B.I.E. instead of the Human Torch, who was being optioned as film. Then the Thing had his own solo cartoon where they teamed him with Hanna-Barbera characters. So, that would be a big issue for Disney.

In terms of rights, legalities, and ownerships, I have a few to list.

Malibu Comics Entertainment-
Not certain who owns the rights to these Ultraverse line of superhero titles. Notable titles under the Malibu label included The Men in Black, Ultraforce, and Night Man. We know Sony has MiB, but to what end? Ultraforce had a cartoon & Night Man had a live action tv show. I suspect Disney is too preoccupied to concentrate on these titles. Even though there was some crossover with Marvel comics.

Superboy-
The Adventures of Superboy (TV series) 34 6-minute episodes was in the 1960's as I believe a part of Superman/Aquaman Hour. I saw the series was on DC Universe but did not watch the series to see if the Superboy shorts were there.

The Superboy character has been the subject of a legal battle between Time Warner, the owner of DC Comics, and the estates of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Apparently the Rights are with WB until 2033. After that "Superman" will become public domain. Remember, this does not include Superboy.

I am still interested if someone with the finances can get a streamer on that level. Heck I'd expect a science fiction/fantasy streamer if any.

AdrenalineRush1996

Well, I will give a better detailed explanation a little later in this post on other stuff. To answer this factoid, I believe WB made a deal with 20th Century Fox for the rights to the TV series on DVD. #1 Pretty sure that probably did not involve streaming rights. #2 That was before the Disney acquisition of 20th Century Fox. So it looks like it might be in some sort of limbo for WB right now.
I'm aware on that the DVD release happen before the acquisition.
Malibu Comics Entertainment-
Not certain who owns the rights to these Ultraverse line of superhero titles. Notable titles under the Malibu label included The Men in Black, Ultraforce, and Night Man. We know Sony has MIB, but to what end? Ultraforce had a cartoon & Night Man had a live action tv show. I suspect Disney is too preoccupied to concentrate on these titles. Even though there was some crossover with Marvel Comics.
I think Marvel still owns the line but the reason why Malibu hasn't made a return is due to the disputes between them and Malibu founder Scott Mitchell Rosenberg over royalities and Jim Starlin was dismissed from Marvel in 2004 and wouldn't return until a decade later as editor (now executive editor, though I want him and Quesada ousted soon) Tom Brevoort pointed out to him that utilising Ultraverse character Rune, who was at the time the last person to use the Soul Gem, in his Thanos comic book violates an injunction against the use of Ultraverse characters in the main comics, which is ironic considering that Ultraforce member Topaz appeared in the MCU since she appeared in Thor: Ragnarok, as played by Rachel House

the greenman

I think Marvel still owns the line but the reason why Malibu hasn't made a return is due to the disputes between them and Malibu founder Scott Mitchell Rosenberg over royalities and Jim Starlin was dismissed from Marvel in 2004 and wouldn't return until a decade later as editor (now executive editor, though I want him and Quesada ousted soon) Tom Brevoort pointed out to him that utilising Ultraverse character Rune, who was at the time the last person to use the Soul Gem, in his Thanos comic book violates an injunction against the use of Ultraverse characters in the main comics, which is ironic considering that Ultraforce member Topaz appeared in the MCU since she appeared in Thor: Ragnarok, as played by Rachel House

Hmmm, was fairly aware of Starlin's dispute with Marvel over his MCU creations. I was not aware of Topaz, the heck is that about?

AdrenalineRush1996

Hmmm, was fairly aware of Starlin's dispute with Marvel over his MCU creations. I was not aware of Topaz, the heck is that about?
Topaz is a superheroine in the Malibu universe, who is part of the Ultraforce team though her MCU counterpart is a henchwoman of the Grandmaster.

the greenman

Topaz is a superheroine in the Malibu universe, who is part of the Ultraforce team though her MCU counterpart is a henchwoman of the Grandmaster.
Well, Marvel (specifically the MCU) has been busy tweaking stuff for their use. I know Angela (originally Gaiman's Avenging angel from Spawn) now all over the Marvel universe in different ways. I think she showed up the GotG cartoon series.

Be that as it may. I still have uncertainty on a full-fledged streaming service composed entirely of comicbook content. As the DC Universe app was hard enough to find subscribers, and now some of that stuff will probably never see the light of day again.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

No offense intended, but I think that canceling Jaydeep Hasrajani's "Boons and Curses" is like a punishment for the said show's creator being involved in the hated 2016 Powerpuff Girls reboot. Your opinions on my comment?
There is a big difference between "understanding someone's actions" and "agreeing with someone's actions". Sometimes, I get the feeling that some don't recognize the difference.
It feels like crossover fighters are replacing kart racers as a video game genre.

The last point is on the corny side, but it's worth mentioning.
My hopes for the Warner Bros. Discovery upfront tomorrow.
HBO Max picks up Bone from Netflix.
Discovery Family replacement announced.

Featured Posts