"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I was thinking that if Colossus appeared on the show, they might possibly do some version of the Magik story.

I think the Lewalds or someone involved with the old show shared a pitch before about the team falling apart and needing to rebuild after Xavier left with Lillandra. I'm wondering if the show might go in that direction.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sure, I am just wondering how they would handle Magik, in the comics she went through a magic portal as a little girl and came back out as a teen, having spent 7 years in Limbo with Belasco, even though no time had passed on Earth.

I am sure who this show is aimed at, but that might be too dark for TAS. Maybe most of it can happen off screen, get the angst and age up without it being too dark.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
We saw some pretty dark stuff on the original series and we've also seen that Marvel Studios isn't too afraid to play around in that territory after something like What If...? ( although I wouldn't expect this to be TV-14). This is Disney but they still don't really need to play by SatAM rules. I think you can get away with a lot if you tell the story well enough and with just enough propriety, and I hope that there's no story from old comics that kids were reading that they couldn't adapt for a show kids might watch.

RoryWilliams

An intriguing prospect is what potential guest stars could pop up. Larry Houston famously had to sneak in cameos from the likes of Spider-Man, the Hulk, War Machine and Black Panther where he could since those characters' animation rights belonged to other companies at the time. With everything back in-house at Marvel, that's no longer a major constraint.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
With some of the original voice actors having passed away, I wonder if they could fill some of the roles with voice actors from other versions of the cartoon (really, I just want to see a return of the voice actors from X-men: Evolution).

I almost wish it was a somehow a return to 1992 instead of 1997, as X-Men fizzled out in it's last season or two. I know I was done watching it by 1995 (mostly because I had graduated from high school, moved out on my own, started sleeping in on Saturday morning and started watching cable more instead).

But I'm wondering how much "time capsule" they will be with "1997". Would any depictions of cell phones be the big bulky bricks that people used to carry? Would a person getting on the internet hear the classic "dial-up" sound effect? Will people still have mullets?!?

Frontier

Staff member
An intriguing prospect is what potential guest stars could pop up. Larry Houston famously had to sneak in cameos from the likes of Spider-Man, the Hulk, War Machine and Black Panther where he could since those characters' animation rights belonged to other companies at the time. With everything back in-house at Marvel, that's no longer a major constraint.
Could Christopher Daniel Barnes' Spider-Man make a surprise cameo and hint at a 90's Spider-Man revival ;)?

I wonder if they'll acknowledge Carol Danvers at all since they did a Rogue-centric Ms. Marvel episode...
With some of the original voice actors having passed away, I wonder if they could fill some of the roles with voice actors from other versions of the cartoon (really, I just want to see a return of the voice actors from X-men: Evolution).
Well, both Cyclops' have passed away, unfortunately, although we do have Jennifer Hale from WaTXM (although she probably won't be reprising Jean here).
But I'm wondering how much "time capsule" they will be with "1997". Would any depictions of cell phones be the big bulky bricks that people used to carry? Would a person getting on the internet hear the classic "dial-up" sound effect? Will people still have mullets?!?
I am kind of curious how much of the 90's aesthetic they'll keep and how much "modern" they'll get with it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Well, Catherine Disher is part of the cast so I presume she'll reprise Jean Grey and won't be a situation similar to Alyson Court and Jubilee. I was just thinking how both Cyclops from TAS and Evolution passed away last year. I was also mistaken that all of the Magnetos have either died or just retired (obviously I was confusing Christopher Judge with Michael Clarke Duncan for some reason :sweat:)

the greenman

Well, Catherine Disher is part of the cast so I presume she'll reprise Jean Grey and won't be a situation similar to Alyson Court and Jubilee. I was just thinking how both Cyclops from TAS and Evolution passed away last year. I was also mistaken that all of the Magnetos have either died or just retired (obviously I was confusing Christopher Judge with Michael Clarke Duncan for some reason :sweat:)

Dang, didn't know this. May they rest in peace.

I'm hoping the producers have vetted the cast correctly so as not to get some of them who have aged out of their parts. I looked some of them up, and some have still been performing either in Videogames and bit roles in tv or films. Lenore Zann is the real head scratcher. Why or how are you in public office and still performing? Huh.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Ok, but who will be the Overseas Animation studio that will Animate X-Men ‘97 (probably AKOM will return to Animate X-Men ‘97)
I'd be very surprised if AKOM works on this new show. They barely do any western animation anymore (I think The Simpsons is the only thing they still do).

Streaker Prower

I'd be very surprised if AKOM works on this new show. They barely do any western animation anymore (I think The Simpsons is the only thing they still do).
But because The Simpsons is owned by Disney, and Disney also owns Marvel, I will just hope X-Men ‘97 being animated by AKOM will happen “and maybe by some other Korean Studios like Rough Draft Korea, and Digital eMation or even the anime studio behind Full Metal Alchemist

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I wouldn't be surprised at all since they're the ones who did the animation of almost every episode of the show barring eight including the last six episodes.

Frontier

Staff member
Between Ray Chase and Jeff Bennett I could maybe see them as the new voices for Cyclops and Magneto...

ZackSmith1

Beside Psylocke and the others I mentioned, I hope Northstar appears in the revival also.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Speaking of voice actors, I wasn't expecting the next time we see Wolverine in a cartoon, he'd be voiced by Cal Dodd again instead of Steve Blum who pretty much took over the role in recent years. (well, until the character stopped showing up altogether...)

Spider-Man

[Line removed by moderator.] While the original cartoon hasnt aged well at all with its rough animation and clunky writing I am very interested to see what an updated take on the show will be like. Unfortunately its also going to set the precedence where everyone is going to be asking for other shows of that era to come back, like Spider-Man TAS, when maybe they're best left alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirben

Sounds like terrible news, there is no way this will live up to the old series, and I dread to see how the series will be modernized.
X-Man: TAS already felt like they were running out of ideas in the last season, and Disney have not done a decent Marvel cartoon series for many years.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Sounds like terrible news, there is no way this will live up to the old series, and I dread to see how the series will be modernized.
X-Man: TAS already felt like they were running out of ideas in the last season, and Disney have not done a decent Marvel cartoon series for many years.
I disagree on that Disney hasn't done a decent Marvel cartoon in years since What If? turned out to be a lot better than the post-EMH cartoons, while Big Hero 6 had a decent run and then there's MODOK on Hulu.

Roxas_Sora

It was rumored, but this announcement makes it real. According to sources surviving original cast members will return.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Well, in that case, I'll keep my fingers crossed wishing they will do the same for 90s Spider-Man. Some of the voice actors are no longer with us (like Joan Lee as Madame Web), but I believe Stan Lee himself would have wished for Peter finally finding Mary Jane and returning home.

Kirben

I disagree on that Disney hasn't done a decent Marvel cartoon in years since What If? turned out to be a lot better than the post-EMH cartoons, while Big Hero 6 had a decent run and then there's MODOK on Hulu.
Big Hero 6 never focused on the super hero elements, MODOK was a comedy, and What If? was completely episodic.
There have been no decent Marvel action cartoons in the style of X-Men: TAS (on-going elements, and stories) since The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts