"Yabba-Dabba Dinosaurs!" News & Discussion Thread

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Can they just integrate the rest of the app into HBO Max now like they did DC Universe?
I imagine that would be tough. Considering there are still 11min prints of both Courage and KND on the Boomerang app, plus rights issues with Garfield and Friends' first three seasons.
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs premieres on HBO Max on September 30

Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs being a "Max Original" is now canon...

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs premieres on HBO Max on September 30

Boomerang app? What's that?

Granted, WB already canceled Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs after a single season, but the fact that WB chose to skip running YDD on Cartoon Network (in the U.S.) or Boomerang (again U.S.) entirely tells us how much the studio is thinking about Boomerang these days.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I'm guessing the reason it wasn't released last year was because it would be an insult on the show's 60th anniversary year.

Peoples' mileage on Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs! may vary, but I personally don't feel like the show's very existence was an insult to the franchise. Far from it. Y'all ever seen The Frankentsones? Dino & Cavemouse? Those were far worse.

I honestly thought the idea behind YDD! had potential; it was the execution that was lacking.

Last edited:

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Boomerang app? What's that?

Granted, WB already canceled Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs after a single season, but the fact that WB chose to skip running YDD on Cartoon Network (in the U.S.) or Boomerang (again U.S.) entirely tells us how much the studio is thinking about Boomerang these days.
Somehow, the channel is doing better than the app...

Moe

This nails the Boomerang app's coffin shut.
Can they just integrate the rest of the app into HBO Max now like they did DC Universe?
Yes, it is very overdue and Boomerang hasn't fix the issue with subtitles for years, especially Duck Dodgers and that forced me to bought a complete series on iTunes instead.

I imagine that would be tough. Considering there are still 11min prints of both Courage and KND on the Boomerang app, plus rights issues with Garfield and Friends' first three seasons.
and they cut from full episodes with 3 segments of Tom and Jerry Kids into 3 short different episodes with add opening title and closing title in each short episodes. They lumped 70s and 80s Tom and Jerry shows into classic Tom and Jerry series. Camp Lazlo and My Gym Partner's a Monkey use 11 minutes print rather than combination as you said above.

They haven't add more classic H-B shows after 4 years and they are super slowpoke, eventually abandoned.

I felt that situation with Boomerang and HBO Max showed that WB is incompetent to managing their contents.

Boomerang only have one original series that is running - Scooby Doo! And Guess Who?

WB has option to give up the streaming rights to Garfield's first 3 seasons to Tubi but they didn't.

Last edited:

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
The art style is not terrible, but the way they're animated, it looks very....i don't know......stiff? I'm trying not to be a boomer, but I'm not a fan of how they're animated.
Nah, I'm not wild about the art or character designs either. It's drawn by Mark Marek, who previously did the Henry & June host segments on Nickelodeon's Kablam!. This looks more like an early draft than the final product.

Also, no offense to Eli Henry, but I don't like Bamm-Bamm's voice here. The producer's should've hired a kid, or at least a woman who can imitate one.

However, I do like the overall premise and concept. The wild, untamed dinosaurs angle is an interesting idea and one that we haven't seen in previous Flintstones series. Plus, I've seen a couple of episodes and it's definitely not the worst thing that's ever been done with the franchise.

Last edited:

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
As much as I don’t care for Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs this show really got hit hard by getting a season worth as well as being shelved in the US for over a year. Thundercats Roar also was short lived and Cartoon Network gave it a lousy treatment though I’m lukewarm on it too. In some ways it improved on some of the other Flintstones series which are dated but YDD is far from polished. I’m expecting Bedrock to be a major improvement over this series and all the other Flintstones series.

I’m hoping Jellystone doesn’t get screwed over like that, because I’d like at least 40-52 half hour episodes from it.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
As much as I don’t care for Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs this show really got hit hard by getting a season worth as well as being shelved in the US for over a year. Thundercats Roar also was short lived and Cartoon Network gave it a lousy treatment though I’m lukewarm on it too. In some ways it improved on some of the other Flintstones series which are dated but YDD is far from polished. I’m expecting Bedrock to be a major improvement over this series and all the other Flintstones series.

I’m hoping Jellystone doesn’t get screwed over like that, because I’d like at least 40-52 half hour episodes from it.

A second season of Jellystone! (an additional 10 episodes) has already been ordered, so J! is already doing better than Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs.

Having now seen most of YDD!, I can say that I thought that the idea behind the show was better than the show itself. The premise of there being a savage land full of wild dinosaurs just adjacent to Bedrock was a good one, but the producers played that angle far too safely and schticky, for lack of a better word. If the writers were going to introduce a wild, untamed land into the show's universe, then it should've been wild and untamed, not just more cartoon-y dinosaurs telling jokes. (BTW, I'm not saying it should've been edgy and serious; the show was a comedy after all, but the 2 worlds and their inhabitants just weren't far enough away from one another.) There should've been a greater contrast between the wild dinos of the Crags and the domesticated ones in Bedrock; in fact a couple of the stories didn't even feature the Crags, and those were among the weakest entries in the series.

In short, promising idea, weak execution.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
I liked it, I thought it was a funny and clever "sequel" show, contemporary but routed in the aesthetic and tone of the original. For me it's a much more appealing and successful modernization of vintage H-B material than Jellystone, but maybe that show appeals more to the target audience and the problem with this is that it just appeals to old H-B warhorses like me, I dunno.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts