"Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon" (Inuyasha Sequel) Discussion Thread

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I've been afraid to try it as Anime News Network really seems to hate it and I feel wary of sequels to decades old shows anyway. Being a major shonen with a My Anime List score below 7 is also a negative accomplishment. 2020 seemed to be a really disappointing year
What do you mean ANN really sees to hate Yashahime?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
As in rarely gives an episode a review over two stars and sometimes providing snarky GIFs instead of stars for certain episodes like episode 14:

1612461013925.png

I know they are very hard to please and sometimes their hate is overblown, but this is even more of a beatdown than what they gave to Tower of God and God of High School. I'm actually shocked that they are giving decent review scores to Jujutsu Kaisen considering their pickiness. The fact that the MAL score is also low and there's no good word of mouth to countact ANN's low score (a la Tower of God and to a lesser extent God of High School) also scares me.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
As in rarely gives an episode a review over two stars and sometimes providing snarky GIFs instead of stars for certain episodes like episode 14:

View attachment 285582

I know they are very hard to please and sometimes their hate is overblown, but this is even more of a beatdown than what they gave to Tower of God and God of High School. I'm actually shocked that they are giving decent review scores to Jujutsu Kaisen considering their pickiness. The fact that the MAL score is also low and there's no good word of mouth to countact ANN's low score (a la Tower of God and to a lesser extent God of High School) also scares me.
How soon do you plan to watch and form your own opinion? I'll check this out after I'm done with all the other ongoing older IP I've put on hold to binge watch.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
How soon do you plan to watch and form your own opinion? I'll check this out after I'm done with all the other ongoing older IP I've put on hold to binge watch.

I guess when I'm not super busy with other life obligations and when I'm not distracted by other media (my comics backlog. I'm marathon reading Zdarsky's Daredevil).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

View attachment 285582

Have you looked at the IMDb score for it?

Light Lucario

Staff member

View attachment 285582

I've only glanced at some of the reviews on ANN and I am surprised with how negative they are as well there was a bit of hype for the series initially. For what it's worth, some friends of mine elsewhere are fans of Inuyasha and have been enjoying the sequel. I can't judge it myself since I haven't watched it yet, but there are people who do enjoy it, so the negative reviews and reactions might not necessarily reflect the quality of the series, or at least those reviews don't mean that it is universally hated.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Okay, I had a little bit of free time to finally try an episode before work. Episode 1 is very much a nostalgia episode focused on the original cast kicking butt. It was a fun throwback to those like me who have fond memories of the original cast. Episode 2 looks to introduce the cast proper. I was surprised to see a violent decapitation scene as I heard this series was supposed to be aimed at little girls rather than be a shonen like the original or take the Digimon Tri approach and aim it at nostalgic Millennials. The show at least got rid of the maroon colored blood the original series was famous for. Can this series use nostalgia and appeal to an almost 30 something like me? We'll have to wait and see. Boruto disappointed many fans because of the kids seemed to be pretty much exact clones of the parents and the plot and stakes were substantially less exciting than the original, and I hope this show doesn't fall into that trap.

Got through episodes 2 and 3, Moroha is by far the most fun character like many commentators have said and she probably will sell lots of merch. Towa has a lightsaber and that's kinda cool. episodes 2 and 3 revolve around
a battle with a centipede demon, just like OG Inuyasha as a nostalgic callback
I think episode 4 is probably when the series introduces the big bad. Overall, episodes 2 and 3 are decent action anime episodes. Nowhere near as bad as Ex Arm.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
If Yashahime ends in a cliffhanger, then I will be sad.

I have no idea how many season they have planned for this or how successful it is. When I watch Crunchyroll, it seems like it's never advertised for some reason. Of course, it's ratings in Japan are all that matters to determine if it will get additional seasons. If it is a one season anime, they will probably at least give the show a definitive end.

Finally got through episode 4 and I now know why this show is so controversial
The girls go back to the feudal era and the Tree of Exposition takes the form of Kikyo and tells them that Shesshomaru and this other demon guy are the main villains and that they should go kill him. They refuse to do so. What in the world are they doing with Shesshomaru's character?
I'll have to wait until the show ends to find out how in the world this plotline ends. How the show is received will definitely be determined by its ending.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I have no idea how many season they have planned for this or how successful it is. When I watch Crunchyroll, it seems like it's never advertised for some reason. Of course, it's ratings in Japan are all that matters to determine if it will get additional seasons. If it is a one season anime, they will probably at least give the show a definitive end.

Finally got through episode 4 and I now know why this show is so controversial
The girls go back to the feudal era and the Tree of Exposition takes the form of Kikyo and tells them that Shesshomaru and this other demon guy are the main villains and that they should go kill him. They refuse to do so. What in the world are they doing with Shesshomaru's character?
I'll have to wait until the show ends to find out how in the world this plotline ends. How the show is received will definitely be determined by its ending.
Maybe someone evil has corrupted the tree, thus causing this to happen?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Okay, got through episode 5
We learn that the still unseen main villain has four minions and that Moroha killed one of the minions before the show even began. The villain of the week is the son of this villain and he tries to resurect him. The heroes kill both effortlessly. Here we see one way this show contrast with Inuyasha. The rogues gallery in the original Inuyasha (Kagura, Kanna, and especially Naraku) were tough enemies who kept around for dozens of episodes. This show seems to be just monster of the week without a reocurring rogues gallery and the anticlimactic fights are a major problem.
I think I'm seeing seeing what the criticism is about and I know there is one major element that made the original so popular that is conspicuously absent, the romance. Inuyasha was one of those shonen that had massive cross appeal to both genders and it's memorable world, cast, and character relations worked. Here, the chemistry between leads doesn't seem to work quite as well. It's clearly inferior to Inuyasha, just as Boruto was Naruto-lite, but it's still a watchable series. 2020 had many far worse titles.

Well, that one episode 4 plotline has kept me from dropping the series and here's my commentary for episodes 6-8.

Episode 6 commentary: Just a monster of the week episode. 7-8 are much more interesting to talk about.

Episode 7 commentary:
We meet Riku the pirate of ambiguous moral alignment and he's obviously important as he's voiced by Zach Aguilar in the dub. He gives Towa a stolen sword so she can get trapped by the law enforcement who are really demons in disguise. We find out this is how the scenario in episode 1 happened.

Episode 8 commentary:
Our main heroes fight off one of the four elite soldiers of the main bad guy and said elite soldier is beaten just after her introduction like the other one. Yes, half of the four elite soldiers die by episode 8. Inuyasha is famous for being slow, but this show feels like ludicrous speed by comparison if it weren't for episodes like episode 6. Again, the elite general has no personality to speak of. We learn that Inuyasha and Kagome abandoned Moroha as a baby Sonic Underground style. Wondering if eventually finding Inuyasha and Kagome will be a plot point. If Naruto was portrayed as neglecting his family in Boruto, Inuyasha just beat him as an uninvolved parent. Admittedly, it was heavily implied they were trying to protect from Sesshoumaru and other bad guy's evil plan, which we still don't know what it is.

Okay, the show is getting a lot harder to enjoy as it goes on. The whole mystery of what is up with the original cast is the only interesting thing about this show. It's the anime equivalent of elevator music. Not really grating to watch, but not entertaining.

Miroku now has a new voice actor, fellow Ocean VA Ian James Corlett, adult Goku's original English voice who we haven't heard in anime since 2002: Yashahime: Princess Half Demon Announces Kirby Morrow's Miroku Replacement.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I do wish the execution was better. Wow. I thought this thread was dead. It seems like hardly anyone wanted to talk about this show.
To be fair, I'm not sure how many Inuyasha fans frequent the site anymore. If the sequel came out a couple of years after Final Act, it might have attracted more discussion.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
To be fair, I'm not sure how many Inuyasha fans frequent the site anymore. If the sequel came out a couple of years after Final Act, it might have attracted more discussion.

I think Yashahime struggled to attract discussion across all anime platforms. It seems only Inuysha nostalgists were excited for this title and most discussion is just how deflated and disappointed most of them were. Tvtropes YMMV section for Yashahime is just a depressing look at all the emotions a lot of those fans had, Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon / YMMV - TV Tropes

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think Yashahime struggled to attract discussion across all anime platforms. It seems only Inuysha nostalgists were excited for this title and most discussion is just how deflated and disappointed most of them were. Tvtropes YMMV section for Yashahime is just a depressing look at all the emotions a lot of those fans had, Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon / YMMV - TV Tropes
In my experience, TV Tropes isn't really the best place for good discussions, so that kind of makes me wary about using it as an example. I have heard of plenty of fans being disappointed with the series though, but I've also seen a lot of love for the series too. Granted, I'm just seeing reactions from the grapevines, but despite how some fans were disappointed over it, I think it did well enough in Japan and they did announce a second season as well.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Well... It's been a while. What happened to the show? Was that show the unfortunate victim of the Warner Bros.-Discovery merger, perhaps?

No, the show aired all the episodes on Toonami. There's no word if there's a third season but if there isn't, ended on a good note.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts