"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanx54

reflection said:
(Miss Martian confronts Kaldur and hordes of Black Manta soldiers)

MM: "You betrayed us, Kaldur! You killed Artemis. I have to do this."

(Miss Martian begins to lobotomize Kaldur)

MM" "Hello, Megan! You're just using your biological father to spy on The Light! I knew you wouldn't betray us!"

I am dreading the moment when M'Gann lobotomizes Kaldur. I'm about ready to join the Miss Martian hate club...

Nygma

When the failure to balance out screentime between the original kids and the new cast has been this apparent in the first 8 episodes, I can't see the writers adding ANOTHER four new full-timers to the cast. Maybe one of them will stick around.

Alright this first point is somewhat petty, but there's only been 7 episodes this season not 8.

Who says there's been a blatant failure to give certain cast members screen time? For all we know, members like Tim Drake, Bumblebee, Batgirl might get the episodes they need to flesh them out, later on.
For example, the screen time Beast Boy got in Earthlings was more than enough in terms of getting to know him and his bonds with the other team members. Some of them already have certain bonds/dynamics and/or screen time that makes it apparent that that member will play a role in the season.
Lagoon Boy- Already has a role in being Ms. Martian's boyfriend.
Blue Beetle- Has gotten a lot of screen time for a newbie on the team.
Wondergirl- Has been shown to be easily distractable, and usually eager to get in on the action. This all has been heightened by Mae Whitman's grade A voice work.

...anyways you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. Just because there's many members doesn't mean they will all get lost in the shuffle. And they don't all need massive amounts of screen time to stand out.
Also as far as 4 new members joining the team, do remember Greg and Brandon said that certain members will get cut later on in the season.

By the end of the season, the amount of screen time characters get will probably look better in hindsight.

Skaddix

Well then they should probably spend time cutting those who are not getting developed or its kinda of waste.

Still I don't have any reason to believe they can balance this many characters. Last Season we had 10 teen characters. Although Roy was bouncing in and out. Miss Martian missed the first two episodes essentialy. Artemis came in at six. Zee halfway through. Rocket at the end.

Lets be fair and say they had 6. The character development spread was god awful. Artemis had a complete story arc. SuperMartian dominated the screen time. While Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin got shafted. Robin disappeared for stretches in the first half and Aqualad never did anything after he teamed up with Red Arrow in the second half. Kid Flash was just there most of the time besides his focus episodes. And that is hindsight for S1 so enlight of that I have no reason to expect the character development to be fair.

Now on S2. Yeah Beast Boy got some development of course that was another episode basically wasted by being all about SuperMartian. They are the only characters who get episodes just about them where the rest of team essentially does nothing.

Lagoon Boy though has not gotten anything positive to flesh him out.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
While Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin got shafted.

I'd disagree with the latter two. While they did not dominate the screentime, they did get their own character arcs. Kid Flash learned to be more humble and re-think his priorities, while Robin had to face the fact that he wasn't ready to lead the team yet and to do it under his own terms, not to be a mini-Batman.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
What about Aqualad? He started off as rather passive and became the leader of the team in "Drop-zone". He also had focus in "Downtime" and "Alpha Male". "Downtime" focused on his conflicting loyalties between Atlantis and the surface world, as well as deciding which one to fully commit to. The climax of "Alpha Male" has him cementing his place as the leader in the face of criticism from his teammates.

So it seems to me that everyone had character development at some point in the series.

RoryWilliams

Besides Robin has the most exposure of any of the kids in the series, by far. He got his own little character arc and now gets to run the team with Kaldur gone. Not exactly complaining that he didn't get as much screentime as some of the other kids.

JusticeLeaguer

Watchtower
Anyone else think it would be smart of CN to have Young Justice and Green Lantern return on the 22nd instead of the 29th? Considering Ben 10: Omniverse has its one-hour premiere that day it would make sense to just start up premieres that day rather than the 29th. Although that date hasn't been confirmed yet so it's all speculation but still.

Marvelman02

Alright this first point is somewhat petty, but there's only been 7 episodes this season not 8.

Who says there's been a blatant failure to give certain cast members screen time? For all we know, members like Tim Drake, Bumblebee, Batgirl might get the episodes they need to flesh them out, later on.
For example, the screen time Beast Boy got in Earthlings was more than enough in terms of getting to know him and his bonds with the other team members. Some of them already have certain bonds/dynamics and/or screen time that makes it apparent that that member will play a role in the season.
Lagoon Boy- Already has a role in being Ms. Martian's boyfriend.
Blue Beetle- Has gotten a lot of screen time for a newbie on the team.
Wondergirl- Has been shown to be easily distractable, and usually eager to get in on the action. This all has been heightened by Mae Whitman's grade A voice work.

...anyways you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. Just because there's many members doesn't mean they will all get lost in the shuffle. And they don't all need massive amounts of screen time to stand out.
Also as far as 4 new members joining the team, do remember Greg and Brandon said that certain members will get cut later on in the season.

By the end of the season, the amount of screen time characters get will probably look better in hindsight.

Greg has flat-out said on Ask Greg that the new kids will probably not get as much development as the senior class. I think we will probably have to accept that the newbies are not going to be stars but interesting supporting characters.

Skaddix

Oh I agree Robin not getting much time makes sense. He is the most famous character anyway. Heck you can stretch and say Wally was on JLU. None of that explains why Aqualad gets shafted compared to his fellow first timers.

Aqualad was still pretty passive. I go so far to say this undercover mission the best thing that has happened to the character. I count two awesome things he did in S1. S2 he is already owned Superboy and trashed Lagoon Boy.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Well hey, that's your opinion. To me it felt like everyone got character development, so I'm not complaining. Also what qualifies as awesome is subjective. I can think of several awesome things Aqualad did in season 1, but that's just my opinion.

Aqualad didn't seem so passive after "Alpha Male", where at one point he basically told his team: "Shut up! I am in charge! Once the mission is over you all can elect another leader and I will willingly step down!". That was one of my favorite Aqualad moments.

If we are not going to reach a compromise, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skaddix

Maybe passive is not the right word. I just don't remember him doing much after that point. Compared to the rest of the team especially.

Geodude

If there was going to be a live-action Young Justice movie, which actors do you think would be best suited for the characters?

I think Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) is an obvious choice for Artemis.

ToonsLover

Lover of Toons
I apologize if this has already addressed, but was it ever explained why they chose the 6 founding leaguers from Justice League to go missing for 16 hours, but excluded The Flash?

Was it because Wally West was The Flash in the Justice League series, so it wouldn't have made any sense?

Geodude

The only thing I can think of for that is that Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and one of the Green Lanterns might be, from an outsider's perspective, the most powerful members of the League and would therefore send the most effective message as they did on that alien planet. Bats is self-explanatory, depending on said outsider's knowledge of him. Can't really explain Hawkwoman though.

Avengers

I apologize if this has already addressed, but was it ever explained why they chose the 6 founding leaguers from Justice League to go missing for 16 hours, but excluded The Flash?

Was it because Wally West was The Flash in the Justice League series, so it wouldn't have made any sense?

I would guess it was so they could do the recent story with the future flash and nuetron, besides in my mind they referenced the JL version of flash as well with his death being a plot point

Skaddix

If there was going to be a live-action Young Justice movie, which actors do you think would be best suited for the characters?

I think Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) is an obvious choice for Artemis.

No Whitewashing. Find an someone is half white and half asian to play or an asian. I am tired of minorities especially Asians always getting whitewashed.

I think its clear homage to JL/JLU hence those six minus the Flash.

Geodude

Fine, she could play Mia Dearden instead. :p Dare I suggest Kristin Kreuk for Artemis then?

Tom Welling as Supes. Cause he deserves it.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'm guessing the line-up for the brainwashed League members was based on the Justice Lords. After all, Flash was dead in that timeline, just like how he is absent in that line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts