"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 36 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
I would think he's African-American as that's the impression given by Christopher Jones's drawing of Freddy, and given by this fan's illustration of Lt. Marvel. But I could be wrong!
His complexion and hair look more like Jaime, Eduardo, and other Latino characters I've seen, but I could be wrong

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
According to Jason Spisak at a recent con interview (5:00), Greg Weisman loved Razer and Aya's story in Green Lantern: The Animated Series and told him he wanted to bring back Razer all way back when season 2 was in production. Apparently, he also told Spisak he was going to bring him in when "season 3" was announced at San Diego Comic Con, but from the details, I think he was referring to the season 4 announcement.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I just asked Chris Jones, and he said he was told to draw Freddy as African-American.

According to Jason Spisak at a recent con interview (5:00), Greg Weisman loved Razer and Aya's story in Green Lantern: The Animated Series and told him he wanted to bring back Razer all way back when season 2 was in production. Apparently, he also told Spisak he was going to bring him in when "season 3" was announced at San Diego Comic Con, but from the details, I think he was referring to the season 4 announcement.
Interesting. I wonder if this was around the time when he was working on the comic before he had to switch to the Players arc because I recall he had an arc in mind involving some GLC rookies but had to shelve it along some others like the Marvel and Arrow Family ones.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, considering they haven't introduced all the other Shazam kids, race-bending Freddy was the easiest way of adding more diversity :p.
Hmm, I haven't thought of that, if W&V plan on introducing the others. Not like they'd tell. Just the 'given enough seasons and comics, yes' general reply, lol.

ShadowStar

Well, considering they haven't introduced all the other Shazam kids, race-bending Freddy was the easiest way of adding more diversity :p.
To be honest, I was half-expecting this since Billy and Freddy (as generally depicted) almost look like twins and there are already "too many" dark-haired, light-skinned males in the series. ;) It's interesting that Freddy's ethnicity has been changed because it distances the character of "Captain Marvel Jr." from his association with both Elvis and Tiny Tim, but I can't say that I am bothered by this. It just doesn't matter to me very much. In the end, the strong friendship between Billy and Freddy is what matters, and ethnicity has nothing to do with that.

I will add though that I'm glad that Weisman and Vietti didn't change Mary's ethnicity. There was always the chance that that might happen, and it would have been more likely to happen if they had introduced her as a foster sister. But I wanted her to be Billy's twin in YJ, as was the case in the original comics. So I'm glad that this was the approach that they took with her character.

Frontier

Staff member
Hmm, I haven't thought of that, if W&V plan on introducing the others. Not like they'd tell. Just the 'given enough seasons and comics, yes' general reply, lol.
It would be interesting to see what they'd do with them, especially considering their use (or lack there of) of Mary and Freddy.
To be honest, I was half-expecting this since Billy and Freddy (as generally depicted) almost look like twins and there are already "too many" dark-haired, light-skinned males in the series. ;) It's interesting that Freddy's ethnicity has been changed because it distances the character of "Captain Marvel Jr." from his association with both Elvis and Tiny Tim, but I can't say that I am bothered by this. It just doesn't matter to me very much. In the end, the strong friendship between Billy and Freddy is what matters, and ethnicity has nothing to do with that.

I will add though that I'm glad that Weisman and Vietti didn't change Mary's ethnicity. There was always the chance that that might happen, and it would have been more likely to happen if they had introduced her as a foster sister. But I wanted her to be Billy's twin in YJ, as was the case in the original comics. So I'm glad that this was the approach that they took with her character.
Well, there's the movies for anyone who wants a more comic-accurate Freddy. I'm just glad he's not blonde like in the New 52 :p.

I didn't love the shows' take on Mary but I at least appreciate they properly adapted her as his sister compared to the movies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It would be interesting to see what they'd do with them, especially considering their use (or lack there of) of Mary and Freddy.
Although it's a bit different than the live action movies right, if Billy did so here on YJ, he'd become really weak wouldn't he? Like 1/5th his original power.

Frontier

Staff member
Although it's a bit different than the live action movies right, if Billy did so here on YJ, he'd become really weak wouldn't he? Like 1/5th his original power.
Well, considering how YJ loves nerfing their heroes, that would actually be right up this shows' alley :p.

ShadowStar

If that happens, then Wonder Girl will be stronger than Captain Marvel, because the power of Shazam will be spread very thinly!

knightwing

Just saw on Superherohype.com that Amazon may get WB animation which my be the Caped Crusader show and possibly Young Justice since no answer has been officially been given on it's status. Anyone else got any insight, Greg W. care to let us know something?

ShadowStar

Just saw on Superherohype.com that Amazon may get WB animation which my be the Caped Crusader show and possibly Young Justice since no answer has been officially been given on it's status. Anyone else got any insight, Greg W. care to let us know something?
Greg Weisman doesn't post on Toonzone, but you could always ask him on Twitter.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Someone already asked him and his reply was, "I have no knowledge of this deal, so your guess is as good as mine."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, Young Justice would be pretty in-line with Vox Machina and Invincible.
And it does seem like Prime is steadily trying to grow the adult animation section of their original programming since they started with Undone in 2019. They're up to 5 right now. Maybe they could be interesting in acquiring existing properties and continuing them like YJ. I wonder if HBO Max is shopping YJ around like they are Caped Crusaders though. Or does W&V have to pitch a season 5 on Amazon Prime to Sam Register, get a greenlit, then they shop it to Amazon? Hope springs eternal.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's funny how the show seems to strive on streaming services... Netflix, DC Universe, HBO Max, and now possibly Amazon Prime.
11/30: True, but would be nice if it found a permanent home where it gets routinely renewed and tie-in titles greenlit. Knock wood. :p

12/3: A new interview with Chris Jones (will edit and add if anything comes up).

-Chris Jones specifically wanted to add in the black carbon fiber and play with lighting of the Kryptonite in Metallo's rib cage.
-Jones spent 2-3 days boarding the wedding audience, he was given a list of characters and specific seating chart.
-Greg Weisman only specified 'this group of characters' are sitting together for the Wally funeral scene.
-While working on Targets, got to use 3d models of locations from the show to cut down on the spent like the Watchtower

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today i learned that David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners) has a son who’s also a director and i saw a very psychedelic arthouse film made by him called Infinity Pool. I hope he becomes a more high profile director some day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people who don’t watch arthouse movies though. It’s also very adult-oriented if you know what i mean
Update on the M&M's situation. He has reliable sources in this video.
Review Metabee wrote on DaGangOfToonz's profile.
is there any chance you are stoonsarchvie/sheetposter
Was "Xiaolin Chronicles" dubbed in both European Spanish and Latin American Spanish, like "Xiaolin Showdown"?

Featured Posts