Your Favorite Looney Tunes Short Not Featuring A Legacy Character.

Classic Speedy

John Belushi as Slimer
Staff member
Reporter
I've got a few:

-Dog Gone Cats: Some of the finest rubbery animation from the Art Davis unit.

-Swallow the Leader: Not really a creative premise- it's just another cat vs. bird cartoon- but well-executed gags.

-There Auto Be a Law: One of the better "spot gag" cartoons. It helps that automobiles are a prime subject for parody. The ending is a classic, too.

-Wild Wife: aka "how many things can go wrong for one woman in a single day?"

-A Waggily Tale: Boy dreams he's a dog. A superior remake to 1955's A Waggily Tale, largely due to the little girl not being so unlikable. Plus it has Daws Butler doing many of the voices.

-High Note: A musical note gets drunk and causes havoc on the sheet music of The Blue Danube. A lot of great music in this one, and creative gags within the music atmosphere.

-The Mouse on 57th Street: Four words: "Oh boy! Da diamond!"

-Now Hear This: One of the most surreal Looney Tunes cartoons ever made.

-Chimp and Zee: Mainly for its funky late '60s soundtrack.

matbezlima

I've got a few:

-Dog Gone Cats: Some of the finest rubbery animation from the Art Davis unit.

-Swallow the Leader: Not really a creative premise- it's just another cat vs. bird cartoon- but well-executed gags.

-There Auto Be a Law: One of the better "spot gag" cartoons. It helps that automobiles are a prime subject for parody. The ending is a classic, too.

-Wild Wife: aka "how many things can go wrong for one woman in a single day?"

-A Waggily Tale: Boy dreams he's a dog. A superior remake to 1955's A Waggily Tale, largely due to the little girl not being so unlikable. Plus it has Daws Butler doing many of the voices.

-High Note: A musical note gets drunk and causes havoc on the sheet music of The Blue Danube. A lot of great music in this one, and creative gags within the music atmosphere.

-The Mouse on 57th Street: Four words: "Oh boy! Da diamond!"

-Now Hear This: One of the most surreal Looney Tunes cartoons ever made.

-Chimp and Zee: Mainly for its funky late '60s soundtrack.
Chuck Jones won his first Academy Award with High Note, released in 1960.

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
Some of my favorites are

Nelly's Folly (1961)
High Note (1960)
Three Little Bops (1957)
I Love to Singa (1936)
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs (1943)
Bouldevardier from The Bronx (1936)
Cinderella Meets Fella (1938)

KalloFox34

Some of my personal favorites include...
  • Rhapsody in Rivets (1941)
  • Dough Ray Me-Ow (1948)
  • The Bear's Tale (1940)
  • Beauty and the Beast (1934)
  • Rabbit Stew and Rabbits Too! (1969) (As bad as the post-1964 shorts were, this was a major exception)
  • The Cat Came Back (1936)
  • The Rattled Rooster (1948)
  • Fair and Wormer (1946)
  • Meatless Flyday (1944)
  • Early to Bet (1951)

Classic Speedy

John Belushi as Slimer
Staff member
Reporter
Oh jeez, how could I forget Early to Bet? One of McKimson's best.

"Not Roll Out the Barrel!"

wiley207

Here are most (if not all) of my favorites not featuring any of the main/popular characters...

The Trial of Mr. Wolf (1941)
Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs (1943)
Pigs in a Polka (1943)
I Got Plenty of Mutton (1944)
Bacall to Arms (1946)
A Fox In a Fix (1951)
Sleepy-Time Possum (1951)
Punch Trunk (1953)
The Three Little Bops (1957)
Martian Through Georgia (1962)
Now Hear This (1963)
Bartholomew Versus the Wheel (1963)
Rabbit Stew and Rabbits Too! (1969)

disman00911

I Love to Singa (1936) - One of the first truly great Looney Tunes shorts. Classic about an young owl who wants to be a jazz singer instead of a opera singer.
A Day in the Zoo (1939) - A Tex Avery gag-a-thon about what goes on in the zoo.
Horton Hatches the Egg (1942) - Based on the Dr. Seuss book.
The Dover Boys... (1942) Often considered the turning point in Chuck Jones' career and one of his first truly great shorts.
Fair and Wormer (1946) - A wild and zany chase involving a worm, bird, cat, dog, dog catcher, his wife, a mouse and a skunk.
Chow Hound (1951) - The dog yelling "You Forgot the Gravy!" to the cat.
Early to Bet (1951) - The gambling bug, the cat and the dog.
Much Ado About Nutting (1953) - A squirrel trying to crack a nut but with no success.
Three Little Bops (1957) - A jazzy take on the 3 little pigs and the wolf trying to join the band.
Rocket-Bye Baby (1956) - A couple adopts an alien baby and mayhem ensues.
A Waggily Tale (1958) - A bratty boy who abuses his dog gets a taste of his own medicine when he dreams of becoming a dog and gets abused by his girl owner.
The Mouse on 57th Street (1961) - The gag "Oh boy, da diamond!" is the best part of this short.
Martian Through Georgia (1962) - An depressed alien wants to travel to Earth and unintentionally cause panic among the Earthlings.
Now Hear This (1963) - Very bizarre and surreal and the only one where that creepy Bill Lava version of the Looney Tunes theme/intro works as that theme is more associated with the dark ages period of Looney tunes (post-1964)

I almost put “Hamateur Night” (1939) on the list but that one has Egghead (Elmer Fudd's predecessor) and therefore doesn't count. I also wanted to put "Of Fox and Hounds" (1940) and "The Crackpot Quail" (1941) but those have the minor character Willoughby the Dog.

Last edited:

KalloFox34

I almost put “Hamateur Night” (1939) on the list but that one has Egghead (Elmer Fudd's predecessor) and therefore doesn't count. I also wanted to put "Of Fox and Hounds" (1940) and "The Crackpot Quail" (1941) but those have the minor character Willoughby the Dog.
Yeah... I ran into a similar situation regarding "Cinderella Meets Fella" (1938, with Egghead) and "Cheese Chasers" (1951, with Hubie and Bertie).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Streaker Prower wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
Hey LinusFan303, What did you just said about Kickoff to Christmas on "Freeform (Formerly ABC Family)" Network Thread! I know that Kickoff To Christmas will happen this year, I just wait for the Schedule to happen.
Happy 52nd birthday to Vanessa Marshall.
My tweet become banger?? how?

Did a search for Woody Woodpecker this morning, and I found this...

Featured Posts