Your personal Top 10 of Tex Avery's MGM cartoons!

matbezlima

I can't promise that I won't ever change my list. But here it goes:

Red Hot Riding Hood (1943)
Northwest Hounded Police (1946)
Slap Happy Lion (1947)
King-size Canary (1947)
Lucky Ducky (1948)
Bad Luck Blackie (1949)
Little Rural Riding Hood (1949)
Rock-A-Bye Bear (1952)
Drag-Along Droopy (1954)
Deputy Droopy (1955)

Classic Speedy

Let it haunt your nightmares
Staff member
Reporter
Mine:

Who Killed Who?
The Hick Chick
Screwball Squirrel
Symphony in Slang
TV of Tomorrow
Wags to Riches / Millionaire Droopy
Cellbound
Cock-a-Doodle Dog
Rock-a-Bye Bear
The Shooting of Dan McGroo

If you're wondering why I didn't explain why choices, it's hard to do for a Tex Avery cartoon, because they're pretty much purely gags. All I could really do is list the stuff that made me laugh.

matbezlima

Mine:

Who Killed Who?
The Hick Chick
Screwball Squirrel
Symphony in Slang
TV of Tomorrow
Wags to Riches / Millionaire Droopy
Cellbound
Cock-a-Doodle Dog
Rock-a-Bye Bear
The Shooting of Dan McGroo

If you're wondering why I didn't explain why choices, it's hard to do for a Tex Avery cartoon, because they're pretty much purely gags. All I could really do is list the stuff that made me laugh.
Not a criticism of your list, to be clear. This is one of the weirdest lists of best Tex Avery MGM cartoons I can imagine. Without the likes of Red Hot Riding Hood, Northwest Hounded Police, King-Size Canary, Bad Luck Blackie and Little Rural Riding Hood, cartoons that seem to be unanimously praised as among Avery's masterpieces and best cartoons.

Again, I'm not criticizing your list! Love what you love! And I love some of the cartoons you listed as well, like Rock-A-Bye Bear, The Shooting Of Dan McGoo, Cock-A-Doodle Dog, and a fee others you mentioned. Cheers, thanks for replying in this thread!

Pooky

I can't speak for Classic Speedy, but I personally just went through Avery's MGM filmography and built up and edited a list from the ones that I had the strongest personal affection for. I know Cellbound has sometimes been considered a damp squib ending to Avery's MGM career, but I've always really liked it and found it very funny, and I saw it quite a bit back in the 90s. I know Red Hot Riding Hood is considered one of his masterpieces, and I like it, but I don't have as strong a personal attachment to it. Weirdly, I don't think Cartoon Network UK even played it in the 90s.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Twitter, why are you such a bane of my existence?
the_joker wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I just found out a life-size Lucario plush exists.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of (the "formal" premiere of) Codename: Kids Next Door. This show is one of (if not) my favorite Cartoon Network show(s) and I remain hopeful that Tom Warburton's wish for the sequel show to see the light of day become a reality.
Damnit, I’m so distraught. Why can’t these times ever let the hell up?

Mills Lane, Hall of Fame Referee, Passes Away at 85 - Boxing News
Here's Comic Book Buy's opinion on the Toon In with Me episode: Goldie's Farewell.

Featured Posts