"Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Talon

Thor's the MCU franchise that's made the least amount of money compared to the others, so there's a good chance they could just put it on the shelf like Hulk.

Couldn't the Inhumans count as a female-led movie? Black Bolt can't speak that much, so it'd be Medusa running the show. Maybe it could be the franchise role Jessica Chastain's been looking for.

Frontier

Staff member
I could see the Thor franchise being put on hold for a bit after Thor 3, or at the very least having the next movie taking place in Asgard focus on a different character. A Loki spinoff movie would likely have a decent-sized audience willing to go see it :sweat:.

Oddly enough though, Chris Hemsworth might be the only member of the trinity (Cap, Iron Man, Thor) whose the most likely to stay on as his character after Avengers 3. I can't seem to recall any speculation or statements from him that implied he'd be hanging up the hammer anytime soon. Though he did already suggest the MCU use female Thor :p.

I'd think She-Hulk would have to be introduced in a Hulk movie, but Marvel studios seem hesitant to really do a straight Hulk movie :shrug:.

At this point, Black Panther is looking likely to be happening and after that I'd imagine Captain Marvel and maybe Nova wouldn't be far behind after Guardians' success :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
All right! Happy to see an update with the Inhumans other than that (coincidental?) tease from Vin Diesel.

the greenman

Diesel as Black Bolt would be the best casting since Steve Buscemi's early films where it was always an ironic role based on his last role. I'm all for him as Black Bolt, but I just want my CGI Lockjaw.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was there an old screenplay bandied about a while back?
I don't think so. There was just a rumor it was in development back in Fall 2011, then EW claimed it was true, then it showed up on page 40 of EW's October 2011 issue in Avengers article. There was a box something like "What's next for Marvel?" and they had Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Inhumans each a little blurb. Inhumans was
Another Marvel comic dating back to the '60s, this one follows a society of heroes who evolved from alien experiments on primitive earthlings, and were then cast off into their own galactic kingdom. If either of these last two becomes a movie, Feige says, expect an X-MEN style ensemble, a la THE AVENGERS.
Then I don't think it was really talked about much until this year. Maybe a Stan Lee blurb somewhere in between. lol.

the greenman

I never heard of an actual script either, only them talking about it's on the shortlist. I think Feige or Quesada said they'd like it to have a Game of Thrones feel and that was't too long back.

Personally, this is all about timing and with GOTG and our new mutant but non-mutant heroes in Avengers, bringing Inhumans in makes perfect sense. My money on Star Lord's dad is an Inhuman.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well the reason people ask for those movies more then say Avengers 3 is that's a forgone conclusion: we all know that Avengers 3 is coming and honestly with the reveal of what the time frame of the phase 3 movies we even know when it's most likely coming. Black Panther and Captain Marvel though aren't characters we've really gotten anything about yet or know anything about what's happening with them other then people want them. And it's that lack of knowledge of what's happening with them that makes people curious more then something we already know. Same with Iron Man 4: you know that's going to happen as soon as RBJ agrees and signs a contract for one which seems likely now. That's all Marvel or anyone will need before starting work on that.

the greenman

The whole RDJ thing is not one sided. So I think it's best to let an Iron Man 4 wait till after Avengers 3. There's no need for it now anyway until they get other heroes a chance. This isn't WB.

Monte

Hmm, it's possible. Danvers was a officer in the USAF in the comics and we've seen that Rhodey is appearing in at least the party at Avengers Tower. Maybe that's how she could appear?

Another possibility is the question of how she might get her powers. Her powers were of kree origin, but they may not follow the comics... maybe she gets her powers from briefly running afoul with Thanos and the infinity gems. Cosmic power + Freak accident + million to one Survival = super powers

TFormersMarvel

Not sure if it's still related to the MCU but:
Marvel's got the Blade, Punisher and Ghost Rider movie rights back

Marvel now has The Punisher, Ghost Rider (thank goodness), and Blade back in their movies rights. Maybe they could use them for potential side characters or cameos in future films like Doc Strange? (If you've seen the "AFLAC!"-credits scene (sorry) in Guardians, it doesn't seem like Marvel is holding back certain characters from having a film debut in the MCU)

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
IMO, those three should get their own Netflix shows for "Phase 2" of MCU Netflix, after Defenders.

RoryWilliams

That's old news. I think they announced it a year or so ago. They also mentioned they were avoiding using them because the only reason they got them back is because audiences were either sick of them or never responded well in the first place (which is why the speculation about Marvel reclaiming Spidey, the X-Men, and FF is a bit misguided).

Frontier

Staff member
Well, they're movie franchises certainly didn't take off so I could see putting the characters in their own Netflix shows as a way of testing the waters to see if their's an audience for those characters while also not devoting the massive amount of attention to them that a movie would probably require.

Heck, it's always possible that if the Netflix shows prove successful that the characters from there could eventually get their own movie or join the Avengers in a future film :).

Though Ghost Rider might need more CG than a budget for a Netflix show would provide :sweat:.

reflection01

I don't think you can apply logic about unpopular properties pre-Guardians to popular properties post-Guardians.

It's pretty clear that if Marvel made a Ghost Rider movie, it would be pretty good. Marvel has that level of trust with moviegoers. Guardians may be the #1 film this weekend.

If Disney did what was necessary to get the rights to any of those more popular properties, it would be so they could make movies right away.

RoryWilliams

I don't think you can apply logic about unpopular properties pre-Guardians to popular properties post-Guardians.

Sure I can. The difference is the Guardians were a complete unknown. They were not a property that was attempted before and flopped. Reboots are a mixed bag to begin with because chances are, if the original wasn't well received, you still have that stink on it. The MCU rebooted the Hulk and it sold less tickets than the critically divisive Ang Lee version, which many people chalked up to the audience not wanting to give the character another shot. Or even more recently you had Dredd, which by all accounts was a great comic book movie and just a really good movie in general, which bombed. And again, many chalked it up to the fact that America's first mass exposure to Judge Dredd was the awful Stallone movie.

Most of the audience isn't aware of the rights issues so "A Ghost Rider movie made by Marvel!" or "A Punisher movie made by Marvel!" isn't going to matter to most of the people who would otherwise remember those characters from their past, crappy movies. Which is why they're being kept on ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

there are many parts of my childhood I wish I could erase from my memories. so much bullying. I was mentally, emotionally and physically traumatized. really, my current personality is me trying to reclaim that part of my life.
Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.

Featured Posts