"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodie999

Ok, I think the most recent comments were in April and October 2018. Feige, in April, agreed was complicated, "It is. I think there’s a way to probably figure it out but it does have — it's not as a clean or clear as the majority of the other characters." Then in October, his tune changed a little confirming Namor could appear in a movie then saying, 'still deciding IF & when.' Then this year, some rumors were fueled at separate times by Scott Derrickson and Dwayne Johnson but just rumors right now.

It might have been a perpetuity deal. I'm hoping that's the next goal of Disney/Marvel Studio in the wake of the Fox merger. Universal is basically refusing to give up the licensing rights to distribute Hulk movies out of spite because Marvel is clearly using Hulk in starring roles like in Thor: Ragnarok and the latest two Avengers movies without Universal making any revenue from the old deal. Obviously they're a business and want to make money so leaving the rights to collect dust won't fly for long. I could see them making a deal with Marvel that gives them either a flat fee for the distribution rights, or a deal that pays them a smaller amount of money up front and supplies them with a small portion of revenue from any solo Hulk movies that Disney releases. But Disney seems like it's in a way better position to negotiate to get the licensing rights back. I would think it's in Universal's best interest and best financial outcome to sell the rights back rather than renegotiate the deal, as soon as possible. There may be no plans for more solo Hulk movies but Disney is a stickler for having full rights to a character in their ledger.
I agree. Marvel likes to tease characters before announcing some big plans for them. If there were plans for Namor, they would've come out at Comic-Con, but Marvel is known for keeping secrets for big reveals. He recently just started to appear in Marvel Games again. So we can only hope they finally announce he and Hulk's distribution rights are officially back at Disney/Marvel Studios in 2-5 months.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
When she worked with Chris Pratt, she had responded to a reporters question on if she would work on a MCU film. She said she would love.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I guess that just goes to show how much things change when Fox is out of the equation :sweat:.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I don't see Lawrence doing a big-budget Superhero movie again.

Well I don't see Lawerence ever doing a role like Mystique ever again. As Jennifer has admitted her hatred of the make up process (even when they tried streamlining it after First Class) even when she was enjoying playing the character and actually was at least friends with Dark Phoenix writer/director Simon Kinberg. And maybe when she was doing big Oscar related movies I could see her being totally disinterested in playing a role in a big budget superhero movie but... the days of her being an A list star of Hunger Games and David O Russell movies are over and her projects have pretty much dried out since then. Like barely anyone saw mother! or Red Sparrow, and she currently has no other major projects lined up. So if a major role was offered to her for the MCU I don't see her turning it down. Especially since we're in the age where of all people Natalie Portman came back to the MCU. Like would anyone of thought that she would majorly play Jane Foster again in anything even... a month ago? No but that's what is happening so I wouldn't really be counting anyone out yet.

I agree. Marvel likes to tease characters before announcing some big plans for them. If there were plans for Namor, they would've come out at Comic-Con, but Marvel is known for keeping secrets for big reveals.

Yeah but Comic Con was for all the Phase 4 announcements. It's been speculated that for D23 in August Marvel Studios is going to reveal their Phase Five line up even if that includes just titles and release dates for their major projects likely from 2022 to 2024. So if Namor did have a big role in one of those movies we'd probably find out there. Of course it's hard to know exactly what the state of that character is (especially since yeah Universal is not giving up any of their still very limited rights to what Marvel properties they have even if at this point it's just being able to name a movie Hulk or the character of Namor I believe when it comes to films) but if it was happening in Phase 5, we'll hopefully know about that in a month.

BTW Here is what I think Phase 5 should be

February 18th, 2022: Black Panther 2 (IMHO I kind of still would want this to be the introduction of Storm as the whole "mutants" thing Feige teased could hint we'll see various mutant characters teased in other films instead of just giving them their own specific movies but a story about Wakanda vs Atlantis and Black Panther taking on Namor could be cool as well).

May 6th, 2022: Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 3 (Obviously this will not only be about the search for Past Gamora and as Gunn talked about before introducing a love interest for Rocket Raccoon (hope again Thor is still around as the banter for that would be great) but finally pay off that tease from Volume 2 about the team confronting Adam Warlock. If there is a cast reveal of someone for D23 kind of hoping it's for the reveal of Mark Hamill in that role).

July 29th, 22: Marvel's Blade (Again this is total fan speculation on my part that may/probably is likely 100% off but I would imagine the title would be Blade: Daywalkers. Why Daywalkers? Because not only do you have Mahershala Ali as Eric Brooks, but Wesley Snipes as well replaying the role from his Blade trilogy thanks to the multi verse shennigans of Dr. Strange's sequel from the previous year. Again totally likely won't happen but how cool would a movie having both of these two Blades be?)

First 2023 Movie: Captain Marvel 2 (Again I would go with a more earth based sequel not only fully introducing Photon after grown up Monica Rambau was introduced in WandaVison, but Miss Marvel Kamala Kahn as well dealing with Carol getting a lot of power drained by Anne Marie aka Rogue. Though if we were going to deal with the more cosmic side of things that will probably happen based on the hinting from Spider Man Far From Home we could get more on the Kree/Skull war and show off some of the more hostile factions on both sides. Since I again still like the idea of doing a Secret invasion esque story but one where you can still have good Skrull to help out our heroes though one Skrull that would be evil and maybe the main villain here to challenge Carol is Super Skrull.

Second 2023 Movie: Ant Man 3 (IMHO I think every franchise should have a may release unless it doesn't really need one. Plus I have a way to justify Ant Man having one as the movie would be called "Ant Man, Wasp And The Young Avengers" as it would focus on Scott and Hope training the new generation of Avengers like Cassie Lang/Stature. So though not a traditional Avengers movie it would still relate ot the Avengers and probably have cameos of a couple of others though focus would be on the Ant Man crew training obviously the more youthful heroes since that seems like something I could certainly see that team doing).

Third 2023 Movie: Marvel's Fantastic Four (Yeah the original family of Marvel comics and honestly it's hard to say exactly how this movie should go besides you know being good and actually getting the four. I'm not sure I need for them in the world of the MCU to be like the first heroes as you could have them have an origin story or variation of it here though honestly I'd probably have the origin story be brief and them mostly focused on dealing with a new threat... and have it NOT BE DR. DOOM. You can have him in the movie and hint at stuff with him later on but for the first MCU Fantastic Four movie have the FF face another one of their Rogue's gallery to establish themselves in this universe.)

First 2024 Movie: Eternals 2 (Since the entire point of these franchise starters in 4 is likely for them to have other outings outside of I guess Black Widow let's say Eternals does well enough for another movie so it should be the one to get a sequel in Phase 5 and if Shang Chi does well it can get a sequel in Phase 6)

Second 2024 Movie: Dark Avengers (Another switch up like with the whole "Ant Man Wasp And Young Avengers" as a way to have a unique Avengers team obviously saving the "New Avengers" team for Phase 6 properly. I imagine Norman Osbourn being set up in a previous Spider Man movie in the background since yeah Spider Man films are Sony and wouldn't be on an official Marvel Cinematic Universe annoucement done by Disney/Feige at all to justify him calling in his own team and having a story around that.)

Third 2024 Movie: Nova (Well everyone's been asking for a Nova movie so why not have that close out Phase 5? You who know or care more about Nova can imagine what happens in it here)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Well I don't see Lawerence ever doing a role like Mystique ever again. As Jennifer has admitted her hatred of the make up process (even when they tried streamlining it after First Class) even when she was enjoying playing the character and actually was at least friends with Dark Phoenix writer/director Simon Kinberg. And maybe when she was doing big Oscar related movies I could see her being totally disinterested in playing a role in a big budget superhero movie but... the days of her being an A list star of Hunger Games and David O Russell movies are over and her projects have pretty much dried out since then. Like barely anyone saw mother! or Red Sparrow, and she currently has no other major projects lined up. So if a major role was offered to her for the MCU I don't see her turning it down. Especially since we're in the age where of all people Natalie Portman came back to the MCU. Like would anyone of thought that she would majorly play Jane Foster again in anything even... a month ago? No but that's what is happening so I wouldn't really be counting anyone out yet.
mother! was a surprisingly strong film. Word of warning: It's polarizing and violent, and it's best to read a spoiler filled review going in to understand the allegory it is making beforehand. I would have hated it unreservedly if I hadn't known the Biblical parallels ahead of times. Instead it made me think.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I'm not saying Lawerence has been in poor movies as of late, especially as one of the few people who actually LIKED Dark Phoenix. As yeah I liked mother! as well (it's one of those movies that freaks me out too but since that's the point I can't name that as a negative) and though Red Sparrow had issues it wasn't terrible. But none of her movies as of late have done well critically or commercially so she doesn't again have the A lister recognition she did like 5 years back when she clearly decided to slum it in X-Men Apocalypse just to be done with the X-Men franchise... that again she wound up returning to just to make sure she died for sure in Dark Phoenix. So again if offered a role that might interest her I could see her going to the MCU though I'd argue you could say that of... 70% of Hollywood at this point.

the greenman

Lawrence is setting up Mob Girl. A kinda female "Donnie Brasco".

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Hey, you've got the FF. Galactus is a must. Especially if they do him right ;).
Makes you wonder what the thorough line is now or if they're going to do what DC did and just develop multiple properties in their own direction...although obviously still with continuity and tie-in's, particularly with the Disney+ series'.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Makes you wonder what the thorough line is now or if they're going to do what DC did and just develop multiple properties in their own direction...although obviously still with continuity and tie-in's, particularly with the Disney+ series'.
I'm thinking the thorough line is "Thanos was the tip of the iceberg." :p

Frontier

Staff member
I'm thinking the thorough line is "Thanos was the tip of the iceberg." :p
In walks Kang "You thought you could use time travel to save the day? Well I've conquered time travel" :p.

Or next thing you know the Power Cosmic will come in and eclipse the Infinity Gauntlet :rolleyes2:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Or next thing you know the Power Cosmic will come in and eclipse the Infinity Gauntlet :rolleyes2:.
Exactly what I was thinking. It would be rather interesting if the first hint of it or Galactus would be in the Strange sequel like in an exposition sequence about the nature of the multiverse.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
ABC is actively working with Jeph Loeb and Marvel TV to develop a new show for the network to fill the void that will be left by AOS next year. The series will follow "something brand new, mostly" and fit in-line with ABC's strategy of female-focused superheroes. It has nothing to do with Allan Heinberg's shelved female-led project. ABC President Karey Burke confirms ABC is in active talks about one project in particular.

Frontier

Staff member
ABC is actively working with Jeph Loeb and Marvel TV to develop a new show for the network to fill the void that will be left by AOS next year. The series will follow "something brand new, mostly" and fit in-line with ABC's strategy of female-focused superheroes. It has nothing to do with Allan Heinberg's shelved female-led project. ABC President Karey Burke confirms ABC is in active talks about one project in particular.
Considering how all the other attempts at Marvel shows on ABC have gone, I'll wait until I see it :shrug:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts