Unpopular Opinions

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
True. What is executive meddling anyways? I can picture it, but coming up with a workable definition is hard.

I'd say it's when an executive changes some element in a production without input from the artists in said production. But isn't a producer supposed to pick a story, then hire a team of artists to bring it to life? What if the artists are doing a bad job? What if they can't stick to a budget? What if they stray from the story? The "good'" executive meddling stories I've read usually involve stuff like that; a director blows the budget, or a screenwriter adapts a book too loosely, etc.

I can think of a few other examples, & a few others situations, but this is enough for now; the post is already too long.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Name some examples, please. I'm curiously piqued to see how true to life this is.
Meddling is a strong word, but Daria was created for Beavis and Butthead from a suggestion from an executive for MTV who suggested that there be a female character who could tolerate the two enough to appear occasionally.

I'd say the world was a better place thanks to her suggestion.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The show Lucifer should have had an episode where the title character ventures into an alternate universe where the version of him is played by Mark Pelligrino.

Mandouga

I don't know how "unpopular" this is, but it still has to be said:

HiDive is wrong to label certain shows it has as "TV-14". Take Waccha! Primagi, a show they're currently simulcasting. It's the latest entry in the "Pretty Series", a family-friendly franchise that revolves around a series of arcade games where you use physical things--in this case, cards--with clothes on them that the characters can wear in the game. I've watched 3 episodes so far, and while Myamu (a magical cat who can take on a human form) isn't exactly one of the best people to be around (right now), there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this show. It airs on Sunday mornings in Japan, though admittedly, that doesn't always mean anything. It does in the case of this show, though. Maybe it was some kind of ridiculous technicality? Maybe HiDive is trying to reassure thr older fans that this show is worth their time? I guess only HiDive knows. All I know is that "TV-14" is the wrong rating for this show. If anything, it's the kind of show that could air on Toonami (the real one, not that in-name-only one that the Cartoon Network is currently showing on their 8PM-6AM block)...

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
The Star Trek: Voyager episode Year of…[well, you know] was originally going to be an entire season. Executive Meddling stopped that from happening. Otherwise it would have been a non-video game example of “Fake Longevity”. So, yes there are a few or so examples of executive meddling having a positive effect, but these are exceptions, not the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I remember reading somewhere that for Enterprise, Berman and Braga originally wanted the first season to be about the building of the NX-01 and would be mostly set around Earth and the solar system, and then the first season finale would be Broken Bow. I'm glad a UPN or Paramount exec put the kibosh on that idea; I could just see the "Boldy Going Nowhere" headlines in the mainstream press if that where to have happened.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm still uneasy about Sony's Spider-Man Universe as while I like Venom and I am planning to see Venom: Let There Be Carnage later today, I'm not really keen on seeing the likes of Morbius and Kraven the Hunter, especially that I'm still not happy with Sony on their handling of the hacking scandal seven years ago as well as their control of the film rights.
Name some examples, please. I'm curiously piqued to see how true to life this is.
David Bowie wanted to have a cover version of Chuck Berry's "Round and Round" as the fourth track of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars but his record label RCA Records told him to put "Starman" instead as they felt the album lacked of a great lead single and considering that the song turned out to be his breakthrough hit, it was a wise decision.
The Star Trek: Voyager episode Year of…[well, you know] was originally going to be an entire season. Executive Meddling stopped that from happening. Otherwise it would have been a non-video game example of “Fake Longevity”. So, yes there are a few or so examples of executive meddling having a positive effect, but these are exceptions, not the rule.
I never said they were the rule at all.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I'm gonna forget this one if I don't do it now.
I have a soft spot for Home Alone 3, it's not as good as Home Alone, but it's pretty fun for being it's own. It's also the only non Christmas themed one. It's not the best movie , but it's alright. Though I think it might not be an unpopular opinion as much as many times I've seen the reply of "There's a Home Alone 3?" But I'll at least post this.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I'm gonna forget this one if I don't do it now.
I have a soft spot for Home Alone 3, it's not as good as Home Alone, but it's pretty fun for being it's own. It's also the only non Christmas themed one. It's not the best movie , but it's alright. Though I think it might not be an unpopular opinion as much as many times I've seen the reply of "There's a Home Alone 3?" But I'll at least post this.
At least it's better than Home Alone 4

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I consider Alita: Battle Angel to be the best post-Terminator 2: Judgement Day project from James Cameron as either writer/director or writer.
You and me both - such a fun and action-packed film that could use a proper sequel, as well. I'm not holding my breath if a sequel comes out or not, however - that is what it is.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I actually think Limp Bizkit's cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" is one of the best covers from the Noughties.
You and me both - such a fun and action-packed film that could use a proper sequel, as well. I'm not holding my breath if a sequel comes out or not, however - that is what it is.
Well, I could see the sequel being a Disney+ TV series.

Pooky

Staff member
I don't want to post this in the thread for the film as I don't want to be a spoil-sport, and I'll see the film but even as a near-lifelong fan of the "franchise" I'm finding it hard to get excited about Ghostbusters: Afterlife. When people say it's the sequel they've been waiting for; really when you pictured Ghostbusters III you thought it should star Paul Rudd and a bunch of tweens? Wasn't "junior Ghostbusters" the one network recommendation the writers of the cartoon thought was so naff that they put their foot down and after like two 20-minute attempts? And I feel moving it out of New York and into Oklahoma is a mistake; the busy, modern, urban environment is part of what makes Ghostbusters so unique, ghost stories are usually set in dusky southern or midwestern environment or subdued suburban houses. For all the 2016 film's faults, it at least got that right. That said critics who think the film is "socially irresponsible" or whatever for not recognising that (unprofitable) film can do one.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I don't want to post this in the thread for the film as I don't want to be a spoil-sport, and I'll see the film but even as a near-lifelong fan of the "franchise" I'm finding it hard to get excited about Ghostbusters: Afterlife. When people say it's the sequel they've been waiting for; really when you pictured Ghostbusters III you thought it should star Paul Rudd and a bunch of tweens? Wasn't "junior Ghostbusters" the one network recommendation the writers of the cartoon thought was so naff that they put their foot down and after like two 20-minute attempts? And I feel moving it out of New York and into Oklahoma is a mistake; the busy, modern, urban environment is part of what makes Ghostbusters so unique, ghost stories are usually set in dusky southern or midwestern environment or subdued suburban houses. For all the 2016 film's faults, it at least got that right. That said critics who think the film is "socially irresponsible" or whatever for not recognising that (unprofitable) film can do one.
I think the change of location was to make this movie resemble Stranger Things as much as possible; that would also explain the focus on kids. It's almost as if someone at Columbia saw that photo of the kids from Stranger Things dressed as the Ghostbusters and thought, "Hey, we should do that for real!".

Pooky

Staff member
Yeah it does look like it's trying to jump on the Stranger Things bandwagon, and while that's still popular I feel it peaked in the culture around the time they would have started filming, so that makes it seem a little tired too.

Pooky

Staff member
Games and TV shows aren't films! ;)

That aside I don't think Extreme really ties in with the continuity of the first two? It follows on from Real Ghostbusters.

The game was nice but it would be nice to think an actual third film with the original cast would have been less of a retread of the first. Probably wishful thinking though. It also didn't tie in that well with the earlier films in places, kind of following worldbuilding and logic more along the lines of the cartoons.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Featured Posts