CN is going (partially) commercial-free.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Starting April 15, CN will run commercial-free from 6-10AM.

Eh, I don't really care. I don't think anybody watch the shows during the morning hours anyways, so they figured, 'what was even the point of advertising during those hours when no one is even watching?'

So, it's not surprising to me they're going to do this.

Markus Nelis

I'm not surprised. They don't even have enough advertisers anymore. I can see the same commericial two times in one break.

Francisque

Often there are ads targeted for older audience these days

These were very rare up to non-existent even on Italian TV some years ago, now they're very common

But why "28 mins"? I hate when they use non-5 mins based times lol, it's just so odd

wiley207

Very interesting. And they don't even really have much of a preschool block anymore!
Before this, Cartoon Network had "Big Bag" (their very first live-action original TV series that ran from 1996 to 1998) that aired commercial-free, what with it being aimed at preschoolers. Originally it ran in an hour-long timeslot, before being shortened to a half-hour for the second season but still without commercials (similar to what happened with "Sesame Street" in 2016; in fact, "Big Bag" was actually co-produced by the Children's Television Workshop (now SesameWorkshop) and Cartoon Network, and created by one of the early 1990s "Sesame Street" producers).

hobbyfan

Waiting to see if the Teen Titans Go! detractors wade in to complain about how they'll spam that series even more.

Ace

Ace
Just weekdays though but many preschool shows are there to sell toys and many they have to air out of obligation for toy deals and stuff.

I guess they can shrink Cartoonito's time down to get more airtime for their main shows. They're down to one hour now. Especially if they're not getting much ad revenue from preschool.

Francisque

Actually it's even!

...I'll see myself out.
:D

I don't think they're dropping all the commercials anyway, otherwise slots would've been much shorter: just showing less of them

Boomerang channel used to be a commercial free channel, until about 2009/2010 when they started doing commercial breaks during shows.
And you really can't tell the difference anyway

Instead of advertising you got a lot of fillers, such as on Disney Channel; this is to fill a 30 minutes slot
Very little changes; maybe safer exposure for children, but you're still exposed to a lot of non-programming

At least, with CN and Boomerang, you get only ONE internal commercial break, and one external break, unlike two or three of channels such as Nickelodeon and Disney XD, which are annoying at frequency (as most US channels intended for an older audience)

Moe

Cartoon Network: Want to buy advertising slot?
Advertisers: Hell no, we aren't paying for slot if nobody watch.
Cartoon Network: Ok, any fix for this problem?
Advertisers: EXPAND the Adult Swim from 5 pm to 10 am.
Cartoon Network: Whoa, that's too much.
Tacomaster: I'm going to play ninja against network and advertisers, so I'm mad as hell. :mad:
Cartoon Network: Okay, we heard you and we goes commercial free.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts