“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I grew up with Cartoon Network in early-mid 1990s and yeah, I recognized Moxy.

It was interesting CGI cartoon.

I do think millennials (1980s babies) and earlier generation remember or recognized Moxy, but definitely not 1990s babies, or just very barely.
True, I'm not to going to ignore that, but I'm just saying that I don't think anybody even recognized Moxy compared to other CN originals like Dexter or Space Ghost, you know?

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Moxy was barely even a "show." It was just a series of wraparound segments to showcase old cartoons.

The Moxy Show was a tech demo more than anything. For the early 90s, it was admittedly impressive for what they could do back then, but technology was advancing and Moxy was quickly showing its age, so they dropped it. ToonHeads already existed and was cheaper and easier to produce, so that wound up lasting longer.

mqg96

Moxy was barely even a "show." It was just a series of wraparound segments to showcase old cartoons.

The Moxy Show was a tech demo more than anything. For the early 90s, it was admittedly impressive for what they could do back then, but technology was advancing and Moxy was quickly showing its age, so they dropped it. ToonHeads already existed and was cheaper and easier to produce, so that wound up lasting longer.

Thanks for explaining this. Every time I reacted to old CN commercials & bumpers from the mid 90’s on YouTube I was always confused by the Moxy Show segments.. I always asked myself if this was a “real show”… it felt more like a block to me from what I noticed that hosted old cartoons but maybe I’m wrong. It’s way before my time anyway so I have no say on it.

Cartoon Network didn’t really take off until the late 90’s in the same way Nickelodeon did in the early 90’s. I know there’s Space Ghost…. but it was a talk show host show that eventually got moved to adult swim once the block launched… so honestly I just say Dexter’s Lab, Johnny Bravo, and Cow & Chicken/I Am Weasel are the first major originals in the same way Rugrats, Doug, and Ren & Stimpy were for Nickelodeon. Ones that had the first major cultural impact for the networks.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
IMG_5184.png

IMG_5185.png

IMG_5186.png

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
Thanks for explaining this. Every time I reacted to old CN commercials & bumpers from the mid 90’s on YouTube I was always confused by the Moxy Show segments.. I always asked myself if this was a “real show”… it felt more like a block to me from what I noticed that hosted old cartoons but maybe I’m wrong. It’s way before my time anyway so I have no say on it.
Yeah, every time I look back on mid 90's CN commercials on YT, I always have to remind myself that The Moxy Show was even a thing.
That was the “CN deep cuts” episode. This is the “we get puny enough viewers as is with the big shows” block.
Yeah, I love that episode of OK KO. I don't care what anybody says.

Conttactt

All these words, but never addresses the core issue. Kids aren’t watching cable anymore. How could they take away those precious after school cartoon hours from kids who do not watch cable? Why does this matter? I see so many complaints that AS is taking up too much time but no one ever addresses the reason why CN is losing its time.

So here’s my question - what would YOU air at 5pm on Cartoon Network that would get modern day kids tuning in an encourage kid focused advertisers to show up and spend money? Remember, advertisers care about ratings, higher ratings means more eyes on their ad and better bang for their buck.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
I've said this before, but I really have no issue with CN no longer focusing on kids, since that wasn't the initial goal for CN. I'm totally fine with them going back to being an all-ages channel. My only gripe is if they're going to do that, then they should dissolve the Adult Swim label altogether; keeping the ADULT Swim label around automatically implies that the Cartoon Network side is for kids, and we've established that the kid audience isn't really there anymore. So beyond branding and ads, why keep it?

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I've said this before, but I really have no issue with CN no longer focusing on kids, since that wasn't the initial goal for CN. I'm totally fine with them going back to being an all-ages channel. My only gripe is if they're going to do that, then they should dissolve the Adult Swim label altogether; keeping the ADULT Swim label around automatically implies that the Cartoon Network side is for kids, and we've established that the kid audience isn't really there anymore. So beyond branding and ads, why keep it?
Exactly. Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with Adult Swim existed. I like Adult Swim. But if I was in charge of CN, I would merge two brands into one Cartoon Network, and have keep the Adult Swim programming at night, and relabeled as Cartoon Network After Dark like Mike Lazzo originally intended for. Unfortunately, the people at the top at Warner Bros opt to just don't wanna do it.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
So here’s my question - what would YOU air at 5pm on Cartoon Network that would get modern day kids tuning in an encourage kid focused advertisers to show up and spend money? Remember, advertisers care about ratings, higher ratings means more eyes on their ad and better bang for their buck.
Personally, I'm not concerned with bringing back the back the kids. The kids have their Tik-Toks, their YouTubes and their Minecrafts. They're fine.

There seems to be a belief that I'm against the idea of Cartoon Network trying to appeal to adults first and foremost. I don't. That's not my issue at all. My main complaint (aside from the lack of new and original programming on the channel) is that if everything new is going to automatically go to Adult Swim, why keep the Cartoon Network half around at all?

If the entire channel is going operate under a single label, then that label should be Cartoon Network, not Adult Swim. The name ADULT Swim suggests that it's entertainment for adults only, therefore, having kid-friendly fare such My Adventures with Superman airing under the AS banner makes no sense.

I neither need nor want for Cartoon Network to become a kid's channel again, but cartoons are for everybody. Adults, kids, teenagers, everyone. Perhaps it's time for the current heads of CN to be reminded of why this channel was created in the first place.

This is from 1992, but most of it still holds up.

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
They (WBD) want that sweet, sweet ad money above all else.

Then why not hold a presser or release a sizzle reel or something announcing that CN will be pivoting toward a slighter older audience going forward, though they won't be alienating kids altogether, just not making them top priority (say something like "Cartoon Network will no longer be aimed specifically at kids, but it's OK if kids want to watch for most of the day. We want CN to have a little something for everyone who loves cartoons"), and assure potential Adult Swim advertisers that the AS brand won't be going away, in fact the 'new' CN will encompass some of the AS crowd; they'll just be pushing the AS brand to late at night, which is where the really juicy stuff will go from now on?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Nickelodeon essentially has a 24/7 Checkered Past with their 90's Kids Channel on Pluto. It would be cool if Cartoon Network had the same. What's just weird is the fact that Checkered Past is in a crappy timeslot for those working 9-5 jobs, especially for those in the Central and Mountain times zones when it airs during work. If more adults are watching than kids, what type of adults. Nightshifters, college kids, housewives/househusbands? My guess is that Fox reruns ae still bigger with advertisers than old family friendly cartoons and that's why Checkered Past/Toonami Rewind isn't allowed in Prime Time.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
CN has the worst schizophrenia possible. America: CN/Cartoonito/AdultSwim in 1 channel. CN proper has up to tv pg shows. Max has limited content. International: CN/Cartoonito both their own channels and Adult Swim content on Max, but Max Europe has like 1/3rd of Max US content. CN proper has only kids shows with main demo being 7-10 yo. Both feeds spam Gumball (Europe airs Gumball everyday 9pm-6am!) or TTG. Both feeds are experimenting with ad free hours. And both feeds have different branding - America has Pastel while Europe is still stuck with Dimensional.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Then why not hold a presser or release a sizzle reel or something announcing that CN will be pivoting toward a slighter older audience going forward, though they won't be alienating kids altogether, just not making them top priority (say something like "Cartoon Network will no longer be aimed specifically at kids, but it's OK if kids want to watch for most of the day. We want CN to have a little something for everyone who loves cartoons"), and assure potential Adult Swim advertisers that the AS brand won't be going away, in fact the 'new' CN will encompass some of the AS crowd; they'll just be pushing the AS brand to late at night, which is where the really juicy stuff will go from now on?
Because that would take effort and positioning and a vision on where they want to go. But yes, you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what they should do.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I prefer to have Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, rather than Adult Swim because it does help to recognize the Cartoon Network brand, so they should be primary and Adult Swim should be secondary.

Same with Boomerang - Cartoon Network's Boomerang.

Cartoon Network is parent as Adult Swim, Boomerang, Cartoonito and Toonami are children.
Calling the adult hours of CN by the name Cartoon Network's Adult Swim is a good idea. Sure, it's a longer name (consisting of 4 words rather than 2), but that would be consistent branding throughout the channel's broadcast day. Ideally, I think adult time should start during late night hours (basically anytime after 9 PM EST), but this would be a unified branding and WB gets to keep both names.

Renaming Boomerang as Cartoon Network's Boomerang works for me as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts