50 Greatest Cartoon Characters Analysis

Dudley

Staff member
It's a nice list, though TV Guide's list is better.

Plus your list lacks Daria. I mean, come on, not only is she an icon, but I bet she has more depth than any other female toon characters!
Though if anyone can find someone better, I'd like to hear it.

MegaMus

It's a nice list, though TV Guide's list is better.

Plus your list lacks Daria. I mean, come on, not only is she an icon, but I bet she has more depth than any other female toon characters!
Though if anyone can find someone better, I'd like to hear it.

Well, I don't think Daria has more depth than other characters. The fact is that Daria is more like a human. I mean the action takes place at present days, she's a schoolgirl (nothing special and extraordinary), she acts as one of us at schooldays would. It's not depth of a character, she's just the person we all know or can easily imagine - that's the thing. In other cartoons main character often has special abilities (Supeman, Popeye, Batman, etc) or capable of doing some unexpected, extraordinary stuff. For example one can place a u-turn sign and bullets will fly back to the shooter. Characters are often superheroes or superagents or they've come from another planet or thery're toons from cartoon world - something of the kind. There's always something new we aren't aware of. And what about Daria? She's just a plain bookworm girl, who lacks communication skills. She's a cynic and that feature makes her look even more like a real human. It's uncommon to give such a character a leading role and that's what makes her special. In other background such a person will fade away, it's just that the others in Daria cartoon are silly. Cynics - intelligent, others - dumb. I just don't argree. For a couple of series it's rather fun, but then - it isn't. There isn't much potential in her, she's predictable. So what depth are we talking about?

PS It's just my opinion, feel free to argue.

Zen Man

It's a pretty good list! Although I haven't heard about some cartoons. But nevertheless it's good. Bugs is over Mickey, huh? I completely agree with you! But why Buster and Babs Bunny aren't in the list? I won't mention those who I'm not familiar with but Babs alone is much better than for example Super Mario Bros. As for myself, I'd put these characters a lot higher than 49-th place. Why do you think they don't deserve it? Only because they weren't something like "the first and the only in some way"?

Well I based the list on popularity, longevity and overall impact and I think Buster and Babs are more modern then most of the characters on the list. Now if the list was based on popularity alone, Buster and Babs would probably be on it as I was a big fan of TTA. Though Mario's shows are pretty cheesy by todays standards, they were one of the few cartoons based on a video game that actually reached a certain degree of success and are still remembered. Most of the characters on the list had a bigger impact on animation than the Mario Bros which explains their ranking at number 49 but I feel they were significant enough to be placed on the list.

byron lomax

Well, I don't think Daria has more depth than other characters. The fact is that Daria is more like a human. I mean the action takes place at present days, she's a schoolgirl (nothing special and extraordinary), she acts as one of us at schooldays would. It's not depth of a character, she's just the person we all know or can easily imagine - that's the thing. In other cartoons main character often has special abilities (Supeman, Popeye, Batman, etc) or capable of doing some unexpected, extraordinary stuff. For example one can place a u-turn sign and bullets will fly back to the shooter. Characters are often superheroes or superagents or they've come from another planet or thery're toons from cartoon world - something of the kind. There's always something new we aren't aware of.

In other words, what you're trying to say is that fantastical characters are better suited to cartoons than "normal" people, because in them the medium can be used to better effect. Well, I for one don't really agree with that - for me it depends on the quality of the writing. Does it really matter that shows like Daria or King of the Hill could just as easily be live-action sitcoms (though actually I don't think Daria would work as one)? Does that lower their value as cartoons? Not in my opinion.

And what about Daria? She's just a plain bookworm girl, who lacks communication skills. She's a cynic and that feature makes her look even more like a real human. It's uncommon to give such a character a leading role and that's what makes her special. In other background such a person will fade away, it's just that the others in Daria cartoon are silly. Cynics - intelligent, others - dumb. I just don't argree. For a couple of series it's rather fun, but then - it isn't. There isn't much potential in her, she's predictable. So what depth are we talking about?

I disagree that she "lacks communication skills" - in most cases she doesn't interact with characters like Kevin or the Fashion Club because she expresses no desire to. And not all supporting characters in Daria are silly or dumb - Jodie is an equal intellect with Daria and is just as level headed, and so is Mack. Characters like Sandi and Quinn aren't dumb either - they simply apply their intelligence to matters they consider important.

MegaMus

byron lomax, no-no-no! I didn't mean that! I don't think that fantastic characters are better or that "normal people" don't suit for cartoons (actually, I don't really like these supermutant-batspidermen from Mars). All I wanted to say is that we cannot fully understand fantastic characters, what it's like to have superpowers or live in a toonworld. None of us can truly understand the motives of these characters. Who can guess what trick Bugs Bunny is going to use next (as long as it's not a cliche of course)! Daria is more simple in that way. She's a human, she's just a smart schoolgirl. We can see or imagine her whole life with ease. Her deeds are often obvious and easy to predict. Also that cynism of hers and her being "not-like-the-others" - that makes her look mature and makes us think the depth of her character is greater than that of the others.

As for who's-the-smartest, well, I agree with you. Not all the supporting characters are stupid. But still most of them are! When it comes to her sister and her boyfriend(s) =) - their silliness is fun, but that's that! Why did they have to make MOST of all the charasters stupid?

It's not a question of interest that Daria doesn't communicate much with people around. It's just her maximalism and her complexes. She's smart and so problems inside her family have made her such an introvert and cynic. She cannot make decisions on her own, it's this defence wall of cinism and solitude that does.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.
I'm thinking about leaving animesuperhero forums in the future. I don't know if I want to continue posting much if nobody else is interested.
Also another thing is I have lot of stuff to do and too busy. I'll still be around.

Featured Posts