"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion Part 2 (Spoilers)

ichorskeeter

It will be interesting to see how the internet reacts to all these changes. X-Men found success by leaning into '90s nostalgia, but this seems to swerve in the opposite direction.

...OK, maybe it WON'T be interesting to see how the internet reacts. ;)

Personally, I can't wait to check it out.

Last edited:

penguincobblepot

Yeah I’ve gotten over myself. I trust Bruce Timm. And I should apologize to him for being so whiny and worried
about the female Penguin. Honestly, if she’s big, looks like a female version of the Penguin, and has that Penguin flair, then I’ll be happy :) Idc anymore what other people have said about her.
I think these designs and character choices are supposed to make us scratch our heads. We’ve already seen classic Batman done before. Why not have some fun with it??? I’m excited too

Mod Note: Added Spoiler tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

#TeamMike

SPOILERS AHEAD I CAN’T FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE THE SPOILER TAGS!!!!!!
I have some interesting and somewhat disappointing news for you all regarding my Penguin dilemma…. The Penguin is in Caped Crusader but The Penguin is a female and has been gender-bent :-( I have heard this from MULTIPLE reliable sources who actually proved themselves to be legit months ago but I just caught on. 1 of 3 things… 1. Idk the rules here so idk if I was even allowed to share that, but I didn’t even have to ask anyone. The info was just out there and I am just sharing what I’ve read. The individuals decided to share that info themselves so that’s on them. Just passing it along 2. This is VERY important info that proves that this was in the works for a WHILE. I found a forum in which someone stated and posted in Spring of 2022, that Maria Canals-Barrera (Hawkgirl) revealed to them at a convention that she was auditioning for the role of the Penguin for a secret project and that the character would be a female. So this has been set in stone creatively since the beginning. Why am I disappointed? It’s not that he’s a girl it’s the fact that 1. It won’t be Oswald, 2. That this is the first time OSWALD will not be in a Batman show since like the beginning of time so the team has ruined his legacy in a sense, 3. That gender-bending him doesn’t make sense for the Penguin, and if they wanted a powerful female crime lord, they could made an original character instead (Bruce is the King of that). They could have done so many cool things with him but oh well. The worst part is that three individuals who saw the first three episodes said online that she was the worst part of the show. Something about her having two british sons and them being used for comedic relief, like if you are going to erase Oswald, at least do it right. They all said she was annoying… That’s all the new info that these people posted online. Everything else was leaked through those photos which you all have seen. I am sad, disappointed, and want to hear your guys thoughts. Once again, I have NO connection to these people I just found the info by digging online and it was just out there.
Also thanks for the welcome Karkull!

Mod Note: spoiler tags added
If this is true there's going to be so many meltdowns from the "Go Woke, Go Broke" crowd.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
How dark do you think this show should be? The recent Superman cartoon was fairly family friendly but X-Men 97 has content that would not suitable in the old Saturday morning cartoon model. X-Men and Batman seems naturally darker than Superman or Spider-Man.

Frontier

Staff member
How dark do you think this show should be? The recent Superman cartoon was fairly family friendly but X-Men 97 has content that would not suitable in the old Saturday morning cartoon model. X-Men and Batman seems naturally darker than Superman or Spider-Man.
I think it's going to feel like B:TAS with less overt censorship.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Rachel Kimberly (presumably the script coordinator for the show) posted the crew sweatshirt on Twitter/X:

CC-Crew-Shirt-Zoom.jpg

Do the ears look slightly less curvy than the original B.T. poster?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Rachel Kimberly (presumably the script coordinator for the show) posted the crew sweatshirt on Twitter/X:

CC-Crew-Shirt-Zoom.jpg

Do the ears look slightly less curvy than the original B.T. poster?
This one? Yes, looks less curvy but to be fair, it was likely very early development art vs. what's on the crew sweatshirt is more likely the final look. Easy to guess there were some tweaking in-between.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
This one? Yes, looks less curvy but to be fair, it was likely very early development art vs. what's on the crew sweatshirt is more likely the final look. Easy to guess there were some tweaking in-between.

Very true. They also seem to have dropped the more overt B:TAS font for the logo design. For the best, I think.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
Entertainment Weekly has the first official look at the show, complete with seven stills:

I'm liking the look a lot, and I'm excited it'll be taking place in the 1940s. I'm not quite sure how
a black Commissioner Gordon Gordon and an Asian-American Harley Quinn
fit into that, but I suppose we'll find out. And a nice bonus is that the series will be premiering on my birthday, August 1st! I can't imagine a better present than that. :D

No word on any voice casting yet.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Bros. Discovery and Amazon have announced Batman: Caped Crusader will make its debut Aug. 1, 2024 on Prime Video. Amazon’s streaming service will drop all ten episodes from the show’s first season on the same day. Press details and images can be found at WF:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Also a premiere date of August 1st. Finally.

Looks good to me. Harley is probably the most radical re-design but it seems fine. I also like the old school Clayface.

I'm a bit surprised there's no voice actors announced yet, not even for Bruce/Batman.

Pretty awesome how we're going through X-Men '97, My Adventures with Superman and now Batman Caped Crusader in a row, with only like 2-3 weeks breaks between the shows.

Last edited:

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
So the leaked designs were accurate after all. As a big fan of the first year of Batman--when the pulp influence was strong, before he was toned down for the kids--I'm quite pleased to see the show is set in the 1940s. The designs remind me of the first ones for Superman, back when the crew was considering a '40s setting for that show.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Memorial Day!
I can’t believe that this dub even exists.
Random thought; if Marvin (Garfield-esque comic strip about babies) had been turned into a Saturday Morning cartoon in the late 80s, rather than being confined to a one-off special, would Rugrats have ever existed?
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
Congrats for becoming a staff member. :)
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on themidnightlore's profile.
Congrats for becoming a moderator. :)

Featured Posts