C&C - Made in Abyss: Golden City of the Scorching Sun - "The Compass Pointed to the Darkness" *season premiere* [11/5]

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
No one will think lesser of me if I reuse my posts from the talkback thread in the Anime forum right? :p

Ah, so the format might be switching back and forth between the past and the main cast in the present as they explore the Sixth Layer.

And yes, they don't waste time on topping the horrendous things done to children. So much I still question why I watch these series but I'm so invested in seeing Riko and co. make it to the end. And the show is about enduring and staying above the unforgiving, indifferent nature of reality's brutality. But. Jesus... Poor Vueko. But from that pain and horror, it was a relief to see her get out of that and hold such an important role, essentially as the Ganja crew's albatross and finds a friend in the form of the banished native girl (thought wth in reaction to the reason for her banishment). And the others like Wazukyan and Belaf hold her in high regard and are in their way trying to help her with her trauma and lack of self-esteem.

Definitely felt some allusions to the Ganja's backstory as a persecuted religious group that goes on a long journey to find a fabled city. A whole city being down there is rather intriguing. Definitely invokes thoughts of legendary cities like El Dorado. At first I was thinking they were the precursors to the cave raiders and the whole village that lives near the Abyss but bam, there's a native civilization there and others have apparently tried doing down the Abyss. It was weird sense of nostalgia seeing them discover the existence of the Curse. Poor kid.

I was there with Reg being moved by Nanachi's positivity. But eh, he ruins it by sniffing her. Sigh. And then the pooping. Yeah, that's the 'ol Made in Abyss humor cutting through the dread.

And it ends of hopeful sense of awe as both parties witnessed the golden glow after they exit the orb. Curious if it really is a city or is it radiation from the core of the planet? The sun from a portal to another world? I'm also curious if there is something like time dilation going on if Riko's crew might end up meeting the Ganja crew, who have hardly aged.

A few things I was confused about was the ghost ship and how those 3 out of 4 made it that far out until horrible stuff happened to them or how the Ganja crew made it to the Sixth Layer without a white whistle (or they just skipped past that part).

zoombie

If I can talk about the movie for a second. It is so depressing and they knew it. The fact that the movie was followed by two shorts, normally if you have a movie that have accompany shorts, the shorts are shown first, they knew you needed to cheer the audience up some how, though the second short is kind of dark in its own way.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
If I can talk about the movie for a second. It is so depressing and they knew it. The fact that the movie was followed by two shorts, normally if you have a movie that have accompany shorts, the shorts are shown first, they knew you needed to cheer the audience up some how, though the second short is kind of dark in its own way.

The movie would have been so much better if
Bondrewd died
. Anyway, maybe that will happen sometime in a future episode of the show. If only I can hope.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The movie would have been so much better if
Bondrewd died
. Anyway, maybe that will happen sometime in a future episode of the show. If only I can hope.
Kind of unlikely unless they get enough firepower to destroy all the umbras then kill him. Yes, there should be justice for the experimentation and crimes against humanity he was engaging in but unless he dives down the layer, I doubt we'll seen him again (unless it's in flashbacks) for a proper reckoning unfortunately. But there are still there other sovereigns to meet and hopefully they're not as detestable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.
Happy 8th Anniversary to the Loud House! I still enjoy the show, mostly.
I don't care what anyone says, The Super Friends version of the origin of Batman was pretty effective for 1980s Saturday morning TV. Plus, Alfred telling young Bruce Wayne it's time to go when visiting his parents' graves just tugs at the heartstrings.

Featured Posts