Cartoon Network Rebrand in 2007

JUS28

When Jim Samples was still president of CN, he wanted the channel to be kid-oriented in the vein of Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, so they made unused logo in 2007. But plans were cut after Samples was fired due to the infamous bomb scare. (Here's a fun fact: Do you know that Flapjack and Secret Saturdays were both greenlit under Samples?)

tykroma94

Wow, very interesting. So the plan for CN to be kid-oriented like Nick and Disney was gonna happen under Samples then, not Snyder. And here I thought it was because of Snyder why CN was the way it was in the late 2000s when it Samples the whole time. Snyder just accelerated the progress. I do wonder what CN would’ve been like in the late 2000s/early 2010s had Samples still been around. Would we still have live action stuff? Would we still have anime?

Also I had no idea Secret Saturdays and Flapjack were greenlit by Samples. That kinda does make sense. Things like Re-animated also make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I did see that CN black and green logo before, and I unsure if it was fanmade or not. Thankfully, it was confirmed to be legit. It looks interesting.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not surprised that Jim Samples wanted CN to become kid-oriented in order to compete against Nick and Disney. The writing was on the wall since 2006 (and arguably 2005, but still). Hell, Re-Animated getting the greenlight really shows. Gone of the days of being a cartoon channel for all ages. Let's make CN a kids network for boys 6-11 above everything else. Kinda like Kids WB as a cable channel, if you will.

Sometimes, I really have to wonder, if the Boston Bomb Scare never happened, Jim Samples will still be around, but making Cartoon Network a completely different channel. Whatever it is a good thing or a bad thing, I can't really say. All we can do is speculate.

Although, I'm not sure if he'll kept the legacy blocks (CCF/Fridays, Toonami, Miguzi, and Cartoon Theater) around or not, but I do heard that Fried Dynamite was planned before he left, so there's that.

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist, Researcher, Inactive YouTuber
I did see that CN black and green logo before, and I unsure if it was fanmade or not. Thankfully, it was confirmed to be legit. It looks interesting.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not surprised that Jim Samples wanted CN to become kid-oriented in order to compete against Nick and Disney. The writing was on the wall since 2006 (and arguably 2005, but still). Hell, Re-Animated getting the greenlight really shows. Gone of the days of being a cartoon channel for all ages. Let's make CN a kids network for boys 6-11 above everything else. Kinda like Kids WB as a cable channel, if you will.

Sometimes, I really have to wonder, if the Boston Bomb Scare never happened, Jim Samples will still be around, but making Cartoon Network a completely different channel. Whatever it is a good thing or a bad thing, I can't really say. All we can do is speculate.

Although, I'm not sure if he'll kept the legacy blocks (CCF/Fridays, Toonami, Miguzi, and Cartoon Theater) around or not, but I do heard that Fried Dynamite was planned before he left, so there's that.
That pretty much proved that Fridays was going to be canned anyway, even before Samples left

tykroma94

Yea that CN black and green logo looks very interesting indeed. It’s like 2004 logo but without the borders.

All the things that’s happen to CN during those years really starts to make sense but damn I didn’t think things were looking dire for them around that time.

If I remember correctly, wasn’t Miguzi axed off during his tenure? Honestly I don’t think Toonami would’ve stuck around especially since the block was in a downward spiral ever since it moved to Saturday nights. I’m not even sure if anime in general would’ve stuck around on the network, as sad as that is. I’m definitely convinced Fried Dynamite was planned before he left.

cartoonnetworkpoke

Yeah very interesting to see what would have happened. Maybe Toonmai gets to stay around even more?

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
This is being super-optimistic, but if MeTV Toons really takes off with viewers, maybe WBD can use that success as leverage to pivot Cartoon Network's focus to that channel's audience: Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials. Not targeting kids specifically, but it's OK if they want to watch.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
If I remember correctly, wasn’t Miguzi axed off during his tenure?
Yes, mostly because of Master Control. Remember that used to be a thing?
Maybe Toonmai gets to stay around even more?
Eh, I don't know. I mean, Toonami started to go downhill by time it moved to Saturdays, especially during the time when CN was becoming more of a kids network than a all ages network. For a lot of Toonami fans, it just wasn't the same.

Though, TOM 4 and Naruto fillers afterwards did not help it.
This is being super-optimistic, but if MeTV Toons really takes off with viewers, maybe WBD can use that success as leverage to pivot Cartoon Network's focus to that channel's audience: Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials. Not targeting kids specifically, but it's OK if they want to watch.
I said this before, and I'll say it again: That idea is great.....if WBD actually gives a crap! :D

tykroma94

Andy Merrill, voice of Brak and veteran CN worker, has confirmed it's real.

Wow that’s crazy so the logo is real! Very interesting. It would’ve be interesting to actually see this CN logo in use. Imagining the logo being yellow with Pikachu stripes actually sounds pretty cool. Too bad it didn’t happen.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
Andy Merrill, voice of Brak and veteran CN worker, has confirmed it's real.
Yup, there ya go.

Though I wonder what kind of rebrand would look like with the unused logo. There's no branding graphics for the unused logo online, so any guesses?

Markus Nelis

Noods was great anyway so I'm glad we didn't get this planned 2007 rebrand. Part of me would have wanted to see this but at the same time I feel that this 2007 look was never going to be as good as the official rebrand in 2008.

TheGuy

I'm Just TheGuy
Kinda glad this never happened considering that to me the logo looks kinda plain and is literally just the previous one just without the blocks and the Noods era was really good from a graphic perspective and I’m not a fan of the channel being more kid oriented instead of just being for everyone so I think things played okay (for the most part)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Random thought; if Marvin (Garfield-esque comic strip about babies) had been turned into a Saturday Morning cartoon in the late 80s, rather than being confined to a one-off special, would Rugrats have ever existed?
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
Congrats for becoming a staff member. :)
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on themidnightlore's profile.
Congrats for becoming a moderator. :)
Any rumor that says Boomerang is shutting down in 2024 is a big fat fake lie!
I had a dream last night that Cartoon Network brought shows like Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw back to their lineup.

Featured Posts