Jonny Bravo

batboy2001

Spider Jerusalem
Thoughts on this cartoon? I think at times it can be funny, ie the Adam West crossover and it has tons of movie jokes, but some times it is just stupid. Thoughts?

Calhoun07

It's Me
I don't seek out this show to watch it, but chatch episodes every now and then. The cross over type shows and the more satirical ones are the best, but I think the show has delved into more lame territory lately. It's too inconsistent for me to keep watching on a regular basis.

Singin' Stray Cat

Still Alive Somewhere
I don't watch it that much anymore either. It's kinda gone downhill ever since that episode where he got stuck with the Scooby-Doo gang...

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
In my opinion...

This show started out pretty good. With such talents as Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane working on it, how could it be anything but?

Unfortunately, the second season bit it...hard. In the first season, Johnny was somewhat likable, but in the newer eps, they turned him into an unlikable moron, and no one in their right mind wants to see, let alone enjoy, something like that. (somewhat O/T: this is why I'm avoiding that new Ben Stiller movie "Zoolander"). Plus, the addition of Carl was completely uncalled for.

First season: *** (out of 4)
Second season: *

Overall: **

Calhoun07

It's Me
Steering off topic here....

So I am not the only one with trepidations about Zoolander? Coming from Meet the Parents, I was hoping for more. That movie...I dunno, just something about it that doesn't sit right with me.

Anyway, keeping the thread on topic....I thought that episode where Jonny crossed over with the Scooby characters was rather funny.

batboy2001

Spider Jerusalem
It was kinda funny "Jinkies is that some kinda breakfast cerial or somthing"? The twilight zone ones were kinda funny too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vin

Hi!
Re: In my opinion...

Originally posted by Lonestarr29
This show started out pretty good. With such talents as Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane working on it, how could it be anything but?

Unfortunately, the second season bit it...hard. In the first season, Johnny was somewhat likable, but in the newer eps, they turned him into an unlikable moron, and no one in their right mind wants to see, let alone enjoy, something like that. Plus, the addition of Carl was completely uncalled for.

Plus, the animation changed with character redesigns too. I heard the show wasn't renewed for another season.

Joe Tully

I want the toilet seat.
I agree with the general sentiment here: quality went down quickly after the first season. For some reason, they dont seem to like repeating the first season eps. very much.

I 've heard the loss of quality attibuted to Van Partible's leaving. I don't attibute it so much to Macfarlane, whose Family Guy really doesn't agree with me.

The Mad Hatter

Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
I've asked before, and know one has known. Still, I'll give it one more shot:

What the heck happened to the show's creator, Van Partible? He did the first season, then vanished off the face of the earth.

Vin

Hi!
Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

What the heck happened to the show's creator, Van Partible? He did the first season, then vanished off the face of the earth.

Hmmm...I don't know. I've been wondering that myself.

CookieS

Scooby!

I personally thought the Scooby crossover episode was the funniest. It played on all the jokes...... Fred and Daphine's relationship.......scooby's ability to talk....."jinkies"......oh boy, it was funny. lol.

Calhoun07

It's Me
Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

Last I heard of the man, he was teaching animation at Loyola Marymount. I don't know if that's his current gig or not, or how old that information is.

Sailor Goon

Just another Blind Ron Fan...
I really liked the first season. It had scathing humor, and Johnny had more "politically incorect" freedom. My favorite episode was the one with Suzy's "devil doll".

From the start of the second season, it seemed that CN stifled the show's creativity. God, I HATE CARL! If I were Johnny,I'd have strangled his little maggot #!@$ in the first episode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Fox

Toonix Guru
Re: In my opinion...

Originally posted by Lonestarr29
Unfortunately, the second season bit it...hard. In the first season, Johnny was somewhat likable, but in the newer eps, they turned him into an unlikable moron, and no one in their right mind wants to see, let alone enjoy, something like that. (somewhat O/T: this is why I'm avoiding that new Ben Stiller movie "Zoolander"). Plus, the addition of Carl was completely uncalled for.

I agree the ep the gets me was when the girl that teased him when he was young came back and Bravo though she was going to trick him again. The body of the ep was ok but the ending stinks.

DR. BELCH

In a squashed gob of dung on the Missouri Bootheel
Bravo Dooby Doo

CartoonFridays:
I personally thought the Scooby crossover episode was the funniest. It played on all the jokes....
That and the "Schoolhouse Rock" parody. The animation/score was pretty spot-on. Another favorite of mine was Johnny meeting Farrah Fawcett. "I don't remember that last time I was blindfolded. Oh...wait. Yes, I do."
I'm glad to see I'm not the only Carl hater on this board. He's basically Jerry Lewis' "nutty professor" character, but not funny like Mr. Director. And the Suzie redesign is terrible!

Singin' Stray Cat

Still Alive Somewhere
Add me to the "I Hate Carl" list. That laugh - (shudder) I don't see how anyone could stand even 10 milliseconds of it. I also agree that Suzie looks much worse in the later seasons. Good grief, who was in charge of that redesign and what were they thinking? :rolleyes:

Nftnat

professor/historian/chronicler
I dunno what happened to JB. For some reason the original crew split after the first season. In the second season I gave it chance after chance; it just didn't work with me either.

I also have heard about Partible's teaching gig; the founder of one of the premier Road Rover sites has said that she took his class @ LMU.

Carl doesn't work for me, but I can take him. There's someone who's posted on here from time to time who counts Carl among his favorites; everyone to his own taste.

I've asked before what happened. If you read the credits like I do, you'll notice a few familiar names on those post-first season eps, names familiar from KWB. Kirk Tingblad, Jed Spingarn, Russell Calabrese, Gary Hartle, even Charles Visser turned up @ least once (A Cake Too Far). I asked once before why the people who turned out such A! / P&tB magic fell flat on this show. Someone --- I think it was Belchie --- opined that they probably just didn't care anymore. I dunno. And I recently noticed that in the last season they switched from Rough Draft to Koko. Or maybe that was just for a few eps. Well, I didn't say I'd read the credits for all the eps. Yet.

don Jaime

I think a big chunk of the problem is the time lapse between the first and second seasons, too. It was close to two years before CN ordered a new batch of what had been one of their better shows. Now Partible's gone, apparently most of the original writing staff is gone, and the show is awful. Carl is the human Scrappy-Doo. Pops is no treat, either. Mama is overused. Lil Susie and Johnny himself are waaay off character.

Also, Jungle Boy and his weird little cohort like King Raymond is gone. I guess Partible kept the rights to them. Jungle Boy did the monkey in the first season opening sequence, so I always look for him to tell me if this is an episode worth watching or not.

Killtacular

the race wars had begun
Don't worry folks. Johnny Bravo has been put to rest, finally.

Unless some sort of anti-miracle happens, there won't be any more episodes of Johnny "Idiot" Bravo. It's been officially..er... not renewed.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts