"Kaiju No. 8" Talkback Thread *spoilers*

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Trailer:

Synopsis:
A man working a job far removed from his childhood dreams gets wrapped up in an unexpected situation...!. Becoming a monster, he aims once again to fulfill his lifelong dream...!.

Streaming Saturdays on Crunchyroll.

Episode 1
"The Man who Became a Kaiju" April 13, 2024
A man named Kafka work's in a company responsible for cleaning up kaiju remains. After an incident with kaiju during work with his new coworker, Kafka end's up at the hospital injured and become a kaiju himself after a mosquito looking kaiju goes inside his mouth.
1713120737506.png

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Actually, new episodes come out on Saturdays(unless that was a one-time thing), although depending on where you live, it could be Sunday.

I decided to check it out based off the synopsis and I thought it was an enjoyable episode. Very easy to follow along. This would be a nice show to air on Toonami(especially since the dub is coming out at the same time as the sub), hopefully by 2028.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Just saw the first episode. It seems like "protagonist transforms into something awesome" is a new subgenre of battle shonen that Chainsaw Man started. At least the kaiju motif sets it apart from Chainsaw Man. Also holy crap about another interesting aspect of this series, the protagonist is my age and a working adult instead of a teen. I can actually relate to this protagonist. It seems like the trend of adult battle shonen protagonists died out after the turn of the century. The concept of foot soldiers who are able to go toe to toe with kaiju was also a cool concept. Also, great that that dub fans don't have to wait like with most anime. Great premiere and I am looking forward to seeing how Kafka uses his new kaiju powers to avoid being killed by that lady with the attack tiger. Fun premiere.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, definitely along the lines of Chainsaw Man. Even with the female lead having a way higher position and way stronger. Underdog rises to the top show. Ok, I'm in. I agree it is interesting they made him a bit on the older side to boot. And I'm assuming reunited with Mika after their paths diverged. That's legit that she has a tiger. lol.

Ha, and that is a good one. Delving into what the clean up crew has to go through in the first episode, rather than just focus on this show's G-Force. Though it seems like we'll see less of them. Intestine duty sounds brutal. And also it starts time skipped, like it's business as usual era. Not this is the first of the kaiju to appear, they've been dealing with them for looks like around 20 years if they're 10 in that flashback. Also seems like corporations will be touched on and how they're profiting off kaiju, it is mentioned some company wanting a sample of the kaiju that got killed.

"I found you." Cryptic. Jumping into a human and giving him the power to transform?! That's one way to end the premiere, haha.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Episode 2
"A Kaiju that Defeats Monsters" April 20, 2024
1713590732821.png

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Looks like we're starting to get the rest of the cast now. Really funny gag in how a Kaiju uses the bathroom.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
So judging from the trailer this anime copies the trend where the main hero wants to wipe out all X but ends up becoming an X.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I did like how they're jumping from overly humorous stuff like Kafka accidentally discovering his strength, trying to put people at ease, or... how he pees in kaiju form then jumps to the serious fight of the week and saving 2 lives.

Mina knows of a 'good Kaiju' that saves people. Hmm, can't be too long before she finds out Kafka is No. 8 or will it be revealed at the end of the season? Hope the former but you never know.

Cue the rest of the cast, all with weird hair styles. Definitely an anime. :D

Couldn't have just pushed across? Whoa, brat girl has a super suit. If Ichikawa reacted to her last name like that, she must be related to a general in the Defense Force, the lab, or a politician.

Well, he can sorta tell the truth and say he's with the cleaning crew to account for the smell...

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This episode we got to see what Kafka's new kaiju form could do and he got take down a kaiju with one punch!!! This show does seem like it's going to be significantly lighter in tone than its contemporaries as lots of silliness ensued in this episode, including a memorable nipple pee gag. The show is still in the introductory phase as he just got into testing for the defense force. From the looks of it, we'll have a fun action comedy and the second episode continued the momentum of the solid premiere.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Episode 3
"Revenge Match" April 27, 2024​
1713590732821.png

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Not surprised as the older candidate, Kafka is well behind the others(minus using his kaiju powers of course). We get introduced to the other characters, especially Kikoru, who's clearly the prodigy of the group and also comedic foil for Kafka. Looking forward to next week, especially since I'm sure Kafka will find a way to up his percentage.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This episode was the classic cliché of the exam episode, but it was executed decently well. Kafka using his knowledge of kaiju anatomy was a nice touch. Kikoru is one of the most fun female shonen characters I've seen and her flashy attempts to prove her superiority over the male characters was another highlight. Another good episode.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ah, so the woman in the end credits is an 'operator' in the Third Division.

Really cementing Kafka's underdog status with a low fitness score, getting stomped by Shinomiya's bodyguard detail, getting a 0% reading, getting almost insta-killed yet showing some heart getting up and also using his kaiju knowledge in aiding others.

Conversely with Kikoru they're really hyping her genius prodigy and arrogance. Even though she's top of the class, if they are watching for teamwork, she scores a zero.

Feels all of this episode could be foreshadowing this exam might take a Naruto route and something goes wrong only for her to be shown up by Kafka. After all, there's something over the top and reckless by making them fight actual kaiju. Who's to say if those locked up living kaiju might attract other kaiju to them - even a tougher one? I think Kafka's going to have to use his powers and maybe a few of the others will learn his secret but agree to not tell because he saves their lives.

edit: "Abyss" is growing on me as well as that opening title sequence. Great choices.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Episode 4
"Fortitude 9.8" May 4, 2024​
1713590732821.png

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Like I thought, totally sideways but luckily no fatalities. Didn't think another like Kafka (or more like the reverse, a kaiju that can shapeshift into a human form?) was showing up so soon... and he's infiltrated the clean up crew. Hoo boy. So he/it was able to mass revive all the kaiju? That's some ability. And now we know Kafka's kaiju form is the most powerful they've seen so far.

Phew, Shinomiya covered for Kafka. Not surprised that's her back story. But ulp, the director's daughter. Man that scene where he didn't care about her score, the pan to the butler, and his 'brainwashing' mantra to be perfect. Something tells me being around Kafka and Ichikawa may change her for the better.

Bowl cut guy is pretty perceptive. Belies his exterior. That was hilarious he wanted to pass Kafka and Ichikawa just because they make him laugh so much.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This episode revealed another side of Kikoru, a very insecure vulnerable side. Some would probably cry foul about her having to be saved by a male character, but Kafka's save had more to do with his species than his gender. At least the characters are very different from Chainsaw Man despite the similar premise. Kafka and Kikoru are very different from Denji and Power. They also seem to to have some complexities too as Kikoru's arc of not wanting to disappoint her father by being perceived as weak is an interesting arc. Characterization seems pretty strong and this episode of high stakes exam arc was another winner.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Well Kafka made it to the group(albeit under some conditions). I also thought it was interesting to see them already reveal the connection between Kafka and Mina to the other members so early in the show. Now we get to see the first battle since they became official members next week.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I loved the little rivalries and comradery forming. "Spare tire" lmao. Interesting to see Mina inspired a lot of those guys and they hung on Kafka's every word about her. Loved the training montage - reveals a lot about the big cast in seconds like the blue-haired girl wolfing all that food down. Iharu and Kafka arguing strategy then the beefy guy interjects with a better set up. Happy he's up to 1%. :D Shinomiya's got a wicked kick, lol. The tiger only perks up to girls, lol. Vice Captain Hoshina is a interesting dude. Mercurial on the outside but on the inside, a serious intelligent soldier who's probably lost a lot of friends going on that comment in the library and is already forming the theory that Kafka was the 9.8 fortitude kaiju.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Oh, the training/setup episode, which is thankfully a training setup episode and not a training/setup arc as some titles, looking at you Demon Slayer, know how to stretch this kinda thing to five episodes or more. It seems like we have hints that Kikoru is tsundere for Kafka, which is kinda awkward when most sites list Kikoru as 16. I think they'll just be platonic frenemies. Mina is the obvious love interest, yet we haven't see her get much screentime yet. The anti-kaiju force looks like they have spiffy uniforms. This was the least action-packed episode, but slow setup episodes are part of the battle shonen experience.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm thinking about leaving animesuperhero forums in the future. I don't know if I want to continue posting much if nobody else is interested.
Also another thing is I have lot of stuff to do and too busy.
Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.

Featured Posts