Korean Dramas (K Dramas) Discussion Thread

FirePuppy

1713363816337.png

I believe "K" dramas -- both shows and movies alike -- are equally naughty. Aside from being overemotional, a lot of them, especially those taking place centuries ago, also contain all kinds of violence that should never be tolerated in real life. Therefore, I myself avoid "K" dramas at all costs.

Anyone else?

Pooky

Staff member
Renamed for clarity

If there are any Korean Drama fans here feel free to discuss them here, don't feel constructed to debating whether or not they are "naughty"

Francisque

Then why is there a picture of My Little Pony and Peppa Pig in the opening post?

Honestly, the original post telling me they are avoiding dramas from a specific country strikes me as distasteful
That

Moreover, there are some renowned Korean dramas that are actually very structured and good, or so my friends are always telling me
It's bad to generalize dramas only because they came from a specific nation: same as you can't generalize a banal procedural drama from ABC with an award-winning drama from HBO such as The White Lotus

Or a banal production from my country such as "Elisa di Rivombrosa" with an award winning TV dramas such as My Brilliant Friend or Romanzo Criminale

Francisque

OT: but I think most of the general "bigger channel" TV around the world has quite a generic vibe, of course more than others
E.g. I for instance think Turkish drama is often quite bad, but nevertheless, there are some good products

Anyway: I can't stand many "generic" linear TV production, both from the US (mostly the big five and beyond) and my country
Then of course, there's the exception, but on the main channels you're always going to cater the mass which is going to be more "sensible" about topics such as violence (I don't see the problem, if well contextualized), sexuality, social issues and so on; at times it gets as flat as a pancake

Especially in countries like the US, as it's quite known (on the big five); but many countries are capable of creating something good, especially those wealthier ones which have more investment going on

Netflix and the likes these days are SO much better

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Going to be super semantic here, but here goes. K-drama is no more a genre than anime is. Within anime, there are many different genres, e.g. mecha, suspense, fantasy, etc. "Drama" is a genre. "K-drama" just tells you where the drama comes from and may have cultural idiosyncracies. It's probably the cultural idiosyncracies that's made K-dramas so popular Stateside in recent years, as well as throughout the Pacific rim in the late 2000s.

My dad and wife are Korean, but I'm not particularly into K-dramas. I'll watch a few based on friend recommendations, but I tend to agree K-dramas are too over the top. Way back when I was taking Korean language classes in college, we'd watch a few movies here and there, and we all felt the melodrama was palpable. And on another potentially inflammatory comment, one visual thing about K-dramas I hate are Korean beauty standards for both men and women. I mean, the ladies look fantastic, but I hate the social pressure it puts on women to look a certain way, far worse than in the US IMO. And the guys just look... let's just say I don't approve LOL.

Anyway, if I type much more, it's just going to become a rant post. But saying avoid "K-drama at all costs" is really akin to saying "avoid anime/US TV/telenovelas at all costs." I can sympathize with the general sentiment, but you're saying that out of thousands of hours of content spread across hundreds of shows and movies, there aren't a handful of good exceptions?

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
At least not to me.
Ok, that's fair. We should all set our own standards for what to watch. I'm just curious, though, if you have any specific examples of why K-dramas are worse (for you) than other dramatic shows or movies. I don't think they're necessarily worse with the melodrama than day- and primetime soaps from the 1980s and 1990s; have you ever sat through an entire episode of Melrose Place, Dynasty, or All My Children?

Clarifying my earlier post, "K-Drama" is an all-encompassing term that tends to include non-dramas, too. Namja Set Yeoja Set ("Korean Friends") and High Kick are a couple of older shows that typically get lumped in with actual Korean dramatic shows but really are more aligned with sitcoms.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, you may have a better point that I original acknowledged. There's probably a reason why 20th century soap operas aren't popular Stateside anymore...

... or maybe K-Dramas picked up steam Stateside because people stopped making shows like Beverly Hills 90210. This subject is complicated...

FirePuppy

Ok, that's fair. We should all set our own standards for what to watch. I'm just curious, though, if you have any specific examples of why K-dramas are worse (for you) than other dramatic shows or movies. I don't think they're necessarily worse with the melodrama than day- and primetime soaps from the 1980s and 1990s; have you ever sat through an entire episode of Melrose Place, Dynasty, or All My Children?
The worst example is that characters often leave with sore shins for committing certain crimes. Remember China's Qing dynasty?

Another example is that there is sometimes too much shouting (which is bad for anyone in real life), unlike in any of the three American soap dramas you mentioned.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Going into this thread, I was not expecting the responses I've seen so far, huh.

Anyway, I have watched K-dramas and I have enjoyed it but just like any output from any country, you'll have your really good shows, you'll have your decent shows and then you'll have shows that are not very good. That being said, I can see why they have become popular in the west in the past 5-6 years. There are some unique things that you don't really see in American stuff.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts