"Man Of Steel 2" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

the greenman

Brainiac always this close to a movie debut :(.
I think this is about the 4th or 5th time actually, dating back to Superman III.
I remember reading about that years ago.
I have always found it strange that he's the easiest villain to do. That is in terms of him being a robot (so no violence), a simple backstory (especially if they take from Timm's version in STAS), and visually could really be creative fodder for any filmmaker. I mean, just very odd to me. Both he and Mr. Freeze lacking in cinema has just puzzled me for years.

Having said that, happy for Mr. Cavill. It was either this or Bond.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Road to Gotham

From what I have seen in 3 movies from Henry Cavill so far, this news rates a Big ***YAWN*** from me. :sad:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I'd appreciate it if I didn't think he was doing it just for the chance of Black Adam getting to beat up Superman :sweat:.

You know quite honestly I don't have a problem with that. Not just in a "I dislike Cavill's take on Clark so I don't mind him being seen knocked around some" (though admittedly that could play a part into my rationale, I won't lie about that) but you know from an actual world building perspective. Like I said earlier Snyder's whole direction with Superman in these movies making him this god figure people are scared of not only tainted the character but by giving him mostly emotional weaknesses it makes a lot of his fights and opponents hard to really care about. When he was fighting Kryptonians or those powered by Kryptonians not so much but yeah that's not the case now and JL, either cut made it apparent how lacking most actual threats are for Kal at full power. So if you actually have someone who can actually challenge and best that power you not only don't have to worry about that whole god narrative anymore but can tell a unique Superman story that let's face it we have seen in the comics and shows but have never really approached in the movies whatsoever; what does Clark do against someone who can actually beat him? That's a story I do feel is worth telling.

Regardless I admit at first I was blindsided by the idea of this potentially happening (especially going off my thoughts in my previous points) but yeah again this shows just the power of those super high level A+ tier celebs and what they can do for you when they're on your side. Like I said three years ago Henry Cavill himself isn't one of those people who can lobby to get back into these roles if Warner Brothers or the DCEU team was done with him, but Dwayne Johnson certainly is. So if he fought for that and is responsible for not only getting Cavill a cameo in his movie but getting him another film then yeah that is just an example of his incredible power. And again why not actually challenge Clark with someone who can truly beat him? We aren't going to really get Darkseid or those kind of stakes in the DCEU on a real "yes Supes and other heroes are going to fight him" level, so you need to take the challenges where you can get them.

Frontier

Staff member
You know quite honestly I don't have a problem with that. Not just in a "I dislike Cavill's take on Clark so I don't mind him being seen knocked around some" (though admittedly that could play a part into my rationale, I won't lie about that) but you know from an actual world building perspective. Like I said earlier Snyder's whole direction with Superman in these movies making him this god figure people are scared of not only tainted the character but by giving him mostly emotional weaknesses it makes a lot of his fights and opponents hard to really care about. When he was fighting Kryptonians or those powered by Kryptonians not so much but yeah that's not the case now and JL, either cut made it apparent how lacking most actual threats are for Kal at full power. So if you actually have someone who can actually challenge and best that power you not only don't have to worry about that whole god narrative anymore but can tell a unique Superman story that let's face it we have seen in the comics and shows but have never really approached in the movies whatsoever; what does Clark do against someone who can actually beat him? That's a story I do feel is worth telling.

Regardless I admit at first I was blindsided by the idea of this potentially happening (especially going off my thoughts in my previous points) but yeah again this shows just the power of those super high level A+ tier celebs and what they can do for you when they're on your side. Like I said three years ago Henry Cavill himself isn't one of those people who can lobby to get back into these roles if Warner Brothers or the DCEU team was done with him, but Dwayne Johnson certainly is. So if he fought for that and is responsible for not only getting Cavill a cameo in his movie but getting him another film then yeah that is just an example of his incredible power. And again why not actually challenge Clark with someone who can truly beat him? We aren't going to really get Darkseid or those kind of stakes in the DCEU on a real "yes Supes and other heroes are going to fight him" level, so you need to take the challenges where you can get them.
I feel like it would be less of an issue if Superman didn't have a reputation for jobbing so much or if people didn't already feel lukewarm about Cavill's Superman.

Although if it leads to him teaming-up with Billy to stop Adam, I could be down for that :).

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I feel like it would be less of an issue if Superman didn't have a reputation for jobbing so much or if people didn't already feel lukewarm about Cavill's Superman.

That jobbing attitude though is something really only in the comics and some of the TV series as that is NOT the case in movies where Superman losing is either really only against people who have Kryptonite like Batman or against impossible for anyone else to really beat monsters. As again I'm talking about this being something unique to the FILMS to explore. And I think people are luke warm about Cavill is because of how he was written and not really being able to portray the more general hopeful and positive superman but we would get that seeing a Supes actually being challenged and humbled and having more of an arc to work through.

Although if it leads to him teaming-up with Billy to stop Adam, I could be down for that :).

I do admit this might work more as a plot to say a Shazam 3 then a Man of Steel 2 but still something worth more exploring if we are supposedly getting Cavill back.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Finally a proper Superman film :).
Not to digress, but I'm really happy at the prospect of a Superman movie, a Black Adam vs. Superman movie, and Black Superman movie all happening in the near future. Plus a new animated series, knock wood.

Frontier

Staff member
Not to digress, but I'm really happy at the prospect of a Superman movie, a Black Adam vs. Superman movie, and Black Superman movie all happening in the near future. Plus a new animated series, knock wood.
To be honest I would be surprised if that still sees the light of day.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I heard Max is giving Scavengers Reign to Netflix. Maybe they'll do more with it over there than Max did.
My reaction that TeenNick is airing more cartoons than live-action.

Quoted for the truth!
PLuto LEGO now is airing LEGO Friends: Next Chapter. Disney channel former recently aired this before.
It bugs me how when you say Looney Tunes, most people jump to the 50's Chuck Jones shorts as the default. I'm not trying to throw shade at Jones; he was great and the 50s LTs were great, but the 40's shorts shouldn't be overlooked; they're that much better IMO.

Featured Posts