Misconceptions that you see about cartoons?

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is NOT a Studio Ghibli film, in spite of it being directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

It was actually made by Topcraft, who was well known for provide animation work for Rankin-Bass Productions. After Nausicaa's release, much of its staff went to form Pacific Animation, and later Walt Disney Animation Japan. Miyazaki and over 20% went on to form Ghibli.
Neat little trivia fact: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind inspired the name of the Nausicaan alien species on Star Trek: The Next Generation. They're known for being the reason why Captain Picard has an artificial heart, a result of him getting into a bar fight with a few members of said species in his Academy days.

Pooky

Staff member
Also, for new fans, Looney Tunes is not refer to the cartoon characters in that series itself.

That's been going on since my day! I feel like the name caught on in part because of Roger Rabbit popularising "Toon" as a contraction and nickname for "Cartoon Character" (thus why a lot of people think it's "Looney Toons"). That said, there was an earlier line of VHS tapes prior to that called The Looney Tunes Video Show, so it may predate that (the tapes used Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies Shorts interchangeably. Interestingly there was a 1990 Syndication package called The Merry Melodies Show in 1990).

I actually dislike Looney Tunes becoming the overall brand name for the Warner Bros Characters, especially when people say "The Looney Tunes". Do I have a better name though? No.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
That's been going on since my day! I feel like the name caught on in part because of Roger Rabbit popularising "Toon" as a contraction and nickname for "Cartoon Character" (thus why a lot of people think it's "Looney Toons"). That said, there was an earlier line of VHS tapes prior to that called The Looney Tunes Video Show, so it may predate that (the tapes used Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies Shorts interchangeably. Interestingly there was a 1990 Syndication package called The Merry Melodies Show in 1990).

I actually dislike Looney Tunes becoming the overall brand name for the Warner Bros Characters, especially when people say "The Looney Tunes". Do I have a better name though? No.

On a similar vein, I don't like how people now refer to the characters of Yakko, Wakko and Dot as "The Animaniacs"; the title never referred to them or any specific set of characters, it referred to the zany, anarchic nature of the show itself, but now that A! has become a brand, folks on the internet started calling the Warner Brothers and Sister the Animaniacs, and the name has stuck. I don't like it, but I don't have a better alternative. Admittedly, "The Warner Brothers and Their Sister Dot" takes longer to say.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Here are two misconceptions that I see that were a massive pet peeve of mine.

1. I hate when people say the upcoming Dragon Ball series, Dragon Ball Daima, is gonna be Dragon Ball GT 2.0. Look, the Daima concept sounds weird to me, and I'm sure as hell don't like GT, but it's not gonna be GT 2.0 since Diama is supposed to accommodate the original Dragon Ball by going back to basics.

Come on, guys? It's just a teaser trailer. We don't know what Daima is gonna be about. I'm not saying it's gonna be good, but I'm not saying it's gonna be trash either. Let's wait for the first episode comes out before we start complaining.

2. Inspired by @Goldstar! 's point from the other thread. It really make me rolled my eyes when people called 2 Cartoon Network Originals, Powerpuff Girls and Codename Kids Next Door, as action cartoons, like what?

Just because both of those shows were on 2 CN's William Street produced blocks (PPG for Toonami and KND for Miguzi), that doesn't automatically make them action cartoons. They're still Cartoon Cartoons, at the end of the day.

Cartoon Cartoons = Comedy cartoons produced for Cartoon Network. Think about that.

Last edited:

AngusTinMan16

1. I hate when people say the upcoming Dragon Ball series, Dragon Ball Diama, is gonna be Dragon Ball GT 2.0. Look, the Diama concept sounds weird to me, and I'm sure as hell don't like GT, but it's not gonna be GT 2.0 since Diama is supposed to accommodate the original Dragon Ball by going back to basics.

Come on, guys? It's just a teaser trailer. We don't know what Diama is gonna be about. I'm not saying it's gonna be, but I'm not saying it's gonna be trash either. Let's wait for the first episode comes out before we start complaining.

2. Inspired by @Goldstar! 's point from the other thread. It really make me rolled my eyes when people called 2 Cartoon Network Originals, Powerpuff Girls and Codename Kids Next Door, as action cartoons, like what?

Just because both of those shows were on 2 CN's William Street produced blocks (PPG for Toonami and KND for Miguzi), that doesn't automatically make them action cartoons. They're still Cartoon Cartoons, at the end of the day.

Cartoon Cartoons = Comedy cartoons produced for Cartoon Network. Think about that.

From the second point you just made, the first CN Originals were named Cartoon Cartoons to distinguish themselves between the other cartoons that aired on the channel at the time.

Kirben

1. I hate when people say the upcoming Dragon Ball series, Dragon Ball Diama, is gonna be Dragon Ball GT 2.0. Look, the Diama concept sounds weird to me, and I'm sure as hell don't like GT, but it's not gonna be GT 2.0 since Diama is supposed to accommodate the original Dragon Ball by going back to basics.
Except Dragon Ball Diama will be Dragon Ball GT all over again, Dragon Ball GT clearly showed you can't just de-age Goku, because there is no room for the character to grow. The problem is the Dragon Ball franchise can't move beyond Goku, the only way to do a fresh adventure would be to use newer characters like Goten & Trunks, or even the next generation. Dragon Ball was special because it was Goku starting out for the first time, a naïve kid going on a great adventure, meeting new friends and growing in abilities. The Dragon Ball GT movie was the last time, they actually tried anything completely fresh.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Except Dragon Ball Diama will be Dragon Ball GT all over again,
And thus you already proven my point. How do you know Daima is gonna be GT all over again? How? Yeah, Goku and friends being turned into kids again, but that just ONE element. Everything else could be completely different, for all we know.

Look, I may not like the fact that Goku and friends being turned into kids again, but just because I don't like the premise, that doesn't mean Daima is gonna suck. Especially, when it's not even released yet.

All I'm saying is can we please be patient on Daima when it comes out before we start complaining? That's all.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
While I think Diama looks good and I understand where you're coming from...let's be honest, it's pretty wild that a franchise has used the device of mystically de-aging the character twice, without nominally rebooting. GT comparisons were inevitable.

(I haven't seen GT yet BTW so I have no idea if I consider "like GT" to be a default insult. Knowing me I might well like it!)

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
While I think Diama looks good and I understand where you're coming from...let's be honest, it's pretty wild that a franchise has used the device of mystically de-aging the character twice, without nominally rebooting. GT comparisons were inevitable.

(I haven't seen GT yet BTW so I have no idea if I consider "like GT" to be a default insult. Knowing me I might well like it!)
Okay, fair enough. I just don't like when people judging something when it's not even out yet.

But, we're getting way too off-topic. I'm sorry everyone.

Kirben

And thus you already proven my point. How do you know Diama is gonna be GT all over again? How? Yeah, Goku and friends being turned into kids again, but that just ONE element. Everything else could be completely different, for all we know.
I used Dragon GT as the example, the early episodes actually copied the original Dragon Ball series, and they forced limits on Goku, which just ended up annoying. Goku is literally the best example of an over powered main character, with no room for growth at all, but they won't stop using him. Using Goku means that can't do more than simply re-tread elements from the original Dragon Ball series, while forcing pointless limits on him again. Even Gohan would be better choice, if they wanted to focus more on magic elements, but they already killed the option of focusing on Gohan, back in the Buu saga of Dragon Ball Z.
Meanwhile the next generation of characters (Goten, Trunks, Pan, and their children) are screaming out for new stories, but it will never happen... they won't take any chances at all.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
One pet peeve I have is when people think all shows from PBS Kids are preschool shows. Sure, Arthur and Magic School Bus don’t have anything that is inappropriate for preschoolers, they aren’t preschool shows.
Agreed. All educational shows aren't geared towards toddlers. Magic School Bus, Arthur, Kratt's Creatures, Where On Earth is Carmen San Diego, etc. were aimed at school aged kids. Heck, PBS used to have an entire block of edutainment shows aimed at school age kids: PBS Kids Go!.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I used Dragon GT as the example, the early episodes actually copied the original Dragon Ball series, and they forced limits on Goku, which just ended up annoying. Goku is literally the best example of an over powered main character, with no room for growth at all, but they won't stop using him. Using Goku means that can't do more than simply re-tread elements from the original Dragon Ball series, while forcing pointless limits on him again. Even Gohan would be better choice, if they wanted to focus more on magic elements, but they already killed the option of focusing on Gohan, back in the Buu saga of Dragon Ball Z.
Meanwhile the next generation of characters (Goten, Trunks, Pan, and their children) are screaming out for new stories, but it will never happen... they won't take any chances at all.
I understand what you are coming from, and I would love a continuation of Dragon Ball AFTER Z like have Goten, Trunks, and Pan as the main characters, but I'm not gonna blame on Diama for not having it. Same thing with Dragon Ball Super. I heard a lot of people wanted to see a Moro arc adaptation in the Super anime, but again, it's not Daima's fault for not getting a Super continuation.

I personally blame more on Shueisha and Toei than anything else because they have the most creative control. They are the ones had the final say if Dragon Ball were to continue after Z or not. That's why we are getting Dragon Ball Daima in the first place.

Last edited:

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!

And it's spelled "Daima", not "Diama", dang it!

Pooky

Staff member
Speaking of Arthur, a handful of times in meatspace over the years I've heard others around my age call it "Hey Arthur", a confusion caused, I guess, by Arthur and Hey Arnold coming to prominence at the same time.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
People who watch Home Movies and think Brendon’s name is “Brendan” or “Brennan.” Sometimes even “Brandon.”

It’s such a minor thing but I find it amusing. Even crew members have joked about it.

They get McGuirk’s name wrong too, though more understandably I guess. I’ve seen the names misspelled more often than I’ve seen them spelled correctly.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
People who watch Home Movies and think Brendon’s name is “Brendan” or “Brennan.” Sometimes even “Brandon.”

It’s such a minor thing but I find it amusing. Even crew members have joked about it.

They get McGuirk’s name wrong too, though more understandably I guess. I’ve seen the names misspelled more often than I’ve seen them spelled correctly.
On a similar vein, several Adult Swim fans can't seem to get the proper spelling of the Family Guy clan's surname. I've seen it spelled 'Griffen' or 'Griffon' when it's Griffin like the mythical Griffin. They even illustrated this on the show once by having an actual Griffin fly past the screen.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Fone Bone's profile needs to get a restore, like how it happened to IlPuyoPuyotchi.
It looks like Bob Backish may be out as CEO of Paramount. Can David Zaslav be next? Please?
nick.com has banner (since past few weeks) has KCA 2024 on July 13 at 8pm. But no further news, nor any promos for it yet.

I thought Nick would get new promos for other shows or new episodes, but still NOTHING.
Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.

Featured Posts