"My Adventures With Superman" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Missed these earlier (or they weren't even posted), but TV Passport also has log-lines for the first two episodes. I'm guessing the preview clip released is from the second episode.

More Things in Heaven and Earth
May. 25, 2024

Clark agonizes over what to do for his and Lois' first Valentine's Day; Visions of his father lead him, Jimmy, and Lois to the remains of his spaceship and the new villains of Task Force X.

Adventures With My Girlfriend
May. 25, 2024

Perry saddles Jimmy with a new team to run Flamebird; Clark and Lois investigate Stryker Penitentiary and discover how far Amanda Waller will go to rid the world of Superman.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Missed these earlier (or they weren't even posted), but TV Passport also has log-lines for the first two episodes. I'm guessing the preview clip released is from the second episode.

More Things in Heaven and Earth
May. 25, 2024

Clark agonizes over what to do for his and Lois' first Valentine's Day; Visions of his father lead him, Jimmy, and Lois to the remains of his spaceship and the new villains of Task Force X.

Adventures With My Girlfriend
May. 25, 2024

Perry saddles Jimmy with a new team to run Flamebird; Clark and Lois investigate Stryker Penitentiary and discover how far Amanda Waller will go to rid the world of Superman.
5/14: Ah, was wondering when these were going to be posted. So timeskip confirmed. Just a few months. S1 ends on Thanksgiving. Comic is in December. S2 picks up on Valentine's Day.

5/16: An interview with Josie Campbell.

At 6:29, she teases season 2.
-more stuff about Clark's past popping up
-Clark, Lois, and Jimmy are 1st year cub reporters, try to settle in their new roles, some friction in their tight relationship esp. Lois and Clark
-New threats pop up, more Task Force X and what we teased at the end of season 1
-new characters and new faces
-more action
-more emphasis on the friendship and romance, what survives and what doesn't

At 8:10, she talks about the comic and some unlettered pages are shown.
-Between seasons, our Christmas episode essentially, a story idea we tossed around for season 1
-Clark's first Christmas in Metropolis without his family because they're still fixing up the farm
-Jimmy and Lois try to make a good Christmas for him
-a piece of tech that looks like it's made by Ivo wreaks havoc, twists and turns, who the real villains is, where Ivo's tech went, who grabbed it, what else was in his lab
-ends right before season 2 begins
-basically a fun, extra episode
-working with Pablo to make something kinetic and dynamic

edit: Wonder if we're getting Amazo in the comic.

5/17: Solicits for Issue #3. Out August 7.
With Clark Kent arrested by Team Seven, he’ll need to figure out a way to use his powers and keep Amazo hidden, but will his identity as Superman be revealed in the process?!

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
5/16: An interview with Josie Campbell.

At 6:29, she teases season 2.
-more stuff about Clark's past popping up
-Clark, Lois, and Jimmy are 1st year cub reporters, try to settle in their new roles, some friction in their tight relationship esp. Lois and Clark
-New threats pop up, more Task Force X and what we teased at the end of season 1
-new characters and new faces
-more action
-more emphasis on the friendship and romance, what survives and what doesn't
I wonder if Lana plays into the Clark's past stuff? I mean, the Krypton stuff is kind of obvious :p.

I wonder if Lois still trying to prove herself as a reporter and the stuff with her dad will be some of the main friction...

It's kind of surreal that the major overarching villains of a Superman cartoon have been Task Force X. Like we don't have enough of them :rolleyes2:.

New characters - Well, Supergirl is kind of obvious ;).

More action - And hopefully more of Clark as a competent and capable Superhero and less getting beat up all the time :anime:.

People come to the show for the friendship and romance ;).
At 8:10, she talks about the comic and some unlettered pages are shown.
-Between seasons, our Christmas episode essentially, a story idea we tossed around for season 1
-Clark's first Christmas in Metropolis without his family because they're still fixing up the farm
-Jimmy and Lois try to make a good Christmas for him
-a piece of tech that looks like it's made by Ivo wreaks havoc, twists and turns, who the real villains is, where Ivo's tech went, who grabbed it, what else was in his lab
-ends right before season 2 begins
-basically a fun, extra episode
-working with Pablo to make something kinetic and dynamic

edit: Wonder if we're getting Amazo in the comic.

5/17: Solicits for Issue #3. Out August 7.
The preview pages definitely look good :cool:.

You always got to fit in a Christmas episode :proud:.

I wonder if Amazo is like Crisis Amazo and there's more to him...plus Team Seven (who might play into season 2) :confused:?

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Cool, I guess we're getting a more traditional Amazo.

Josie Campbell mentioned "Batman villains" in that interview, but I don't think we've seen any in season 1. I guess that might mean the muscle-bound robot-armed guy from the previews might be Blockbuster, or perhaps she's talking about something else.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Josie Campbell mentioned "Batman villains" in that interview, but I don't think we've seen any in season 1. I guess that might mean the muscle-bound robot-armed guy from the previews might be Blockbuster, or perhaps she's talking about something else.
Yes, I was wondering about that, too. But given they used a mix of Superman like Livewire, Silver Banshee, and Mr. Mxyzptlk and non-Superman villains like Slade Wilson, Waller, Mist, Heatwave, I wouldn't be surprised they get in a Batman rogue. Plus, Vicki Vale already appeared so wouldn't be the first Gothamite to show up. And the show name dropped the Gazzo Crime Family in an episode or two, Bludhaven and Falcones as well. Yes, that guy in trailer could be Blockbuster. Could be Amygdala.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
When it comes to Batman villains showing up in a Superman project I usually think of Bane. But could be any other powerhouse.

"Most Eligible Superman" on June 16th. Log-line is "Lois and Clark's relationship is pushed to the breaking point when Superman is named Metropolis' most eligible bachelor; Jimmy gives a girl a tour of the city; a girl is on a mission to find her long-lost cousin."

Otaku-sempai

When it comes to Batman villains showing up in a Superman project I usually think of Bane. But could be any other powerhouse.

"Most Eligible Superman" on June 16th. Log-line is "Lois and Clark's relationship is pushed to the breaking point when Superman is named Metropolis' most eligible bachelor; Jimmy gives a girl a tour of the city; a girl is on a mission to find her long-lost cousin."
We could (eventually) get a competition between Mxy and Bat-Mite.

Frontier

Staff member

This would be a perfect episode for Maxima :p.

So Jimmy meets Kara first? Could they end up being love interests? Or are they separate girls :confused:?

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Shows up at the halfway point of the season amid the chaos. Interesting. Can't wait to see Task Force X react to another Kryptonian on Earth.

Frontier

Staff member
Shows up at the halfway point of the season amid the chaos. Interesting. Can't wait to see Task Force X react to another Kryptonian on Earth.
I'm kind of curious how Clark and Kara will interact with Brainiac showing up, because she could probably answer a lot of his questions about Krypton and what really happened before he has to face off against "The General."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm kind of curious how Clark and Kara will interact with Brainiac showing up, because she could probably answer a lot of his questions about Krypton and what really happened before he has to face off against "The General."
5/18: True, she could provide a lot of exposition more so if the Jor-El program goes offline permanently.

5/20: Josie Campbell will be doing a AMA on the DC reddit tomorrow May 21 at 12 pm PT.

Another interview with Campbell

-On adapting Amazo:
And for the comic specifically, looking at it, we wanted to keep the sort of same feel as the show, the same sort of approach to the villains. Because the second, more serious part is, you know, we look at what we feel the core of that villain is. Who is this person? Or who is this creature or thing or robot or whatnot? And what do we best remember them for? And then kind of like fitting them into our universe, where we kind of change them a little bit and modernize them.

The runaway robot at the center of this first issue looks like it escaped from Ivo's lab in episode 4, like it looks like Parasite, it's connected to Ivo. Also on our show, we connected Ivo to Parasite because we thought it'd be really cool to like have this like, techno organic Parasite being created by a Superman villain, but also just like, a horrible DC guy.

That's basically it. Do we like that character? And when we're changing them, do we make sure we still retain the core essence of who that character is? Or deepen the character in some specific way that makes us like them and see a whole new facet to them?

-Who's appearing:
As for characters, we've got some Task Force X characters coming in, as well as some new characters coming in that Pablo has designed, and they look exactly like they would if we were putting them on screen in the show. Another big Superman villain is coming into this, and we're going to be seeing a lot of Jimmy and Lois, and maybe even a little bit of Ma and Pa as the story goes on toward Christmas - and maybe the destruction of Metropolis.

-Does it need to be read before season 2
It's definitely a comic you'll want to have read. We were trying very hard not to spoil anything for season two, but to make this feel complimentary. There are going to be some emotional beats that will make a little bit more sense if you've read the comic. And sort of seeing how, you know, especially Lois has gone from point A at the end of season one to point B at the beginning of season two, there's going to be a little bit more backstory and background about the Kryptonians that will enhance I think what's going on in season two.

But we really wanted to make something that wasn't like, homework. This very much feels like we got an extra episode of the show to bridge the gap between seasons one and two, and here it is.
We're getting into the nitty gritty of a lot of Clark's emotional trauma and his relationship with Lois, and that's going to continue into season 2.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
"That's basically it. Do we like that character? And when we're changing them, do we make sure we still retain the core essence of who that character is?" - That's kind of an interesting thought process considering how much they've changed the villains. The only ones I feel like this was accurate were Parasite (despite the civilian identity change) and Mxy.

But hey, Bloodsport ;).

New clip:

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Some of Campbell's answers from Reddit-
- "If you got the chance to create a spinoff for an unrelated DC hero set in the same universe as MAWS, which hero would you choose?"

"That's a tough one! I think I would choose Wonder Woman. In a world where the US Government freaked out upon learning aliens existed, I think there would be a lot of storytelling potential in Wonder Woman showing up and being like, "Oh yeah, there's a whole island nation of super-strong demi-immortals you knew nothing about. Anyhow, what's shaking?"

Plus I think a MAWS-style Diana and our MAWS Lois Lane would immediately become friends."

- "I was wondering if you could share some of the thought that went into casting the voice actors for Clark, Lois, and Jimmy"

"For Clark/Superman, our most important criteria was finding someone who could nail the Clark voice. People all tend to have good Superman voices, and we have 80+ years of actors putting on a Superman voice to pull from, but finding an actor who could be charming and anxious as Clark was a lot harder. Luckily, Jack Quaid auditioned and nailed it on his first try!

For Lois, Alice Lee was one of the first voices we heard, and her grit and determination instantly won us over.

Jimmy was actually the hardest to cast, because we needed an actor who could go from shouting ridiculous conspiracy theories about dino-men to conveying real, genuine love and concern for his friends. We wrote a special, very serious side for the Jimmy actors to try, and Ishmael made us all tear up. That audition we actually ended up writing into the show, as the moment Jimmy reveals he knows Clark is Superman and that he wished Clark would have been honest with him."

- "Will the 6 issue comics story play a role in the story of season 2?"

"Both the release for the comic and season 2 got moved around, which is why they're now happening at the same time. But my goal was always to have the comic feel like an extra episode of the TV show, our Christmas Special, which would help tee up some of the emotional stuff oin season 2, and also give a bit more details about Krypton that are not touched on in the show. So while the comic story events won't be referenced on the show, it will fill in some more of the gaps in lore and backstory!"

- "Since promo material for S2 has shown Supergirl, are you able to talk at all about the decision to add her to the cast?"

"Kiana Madeira is her voice actress, and she brings a really unique grit and humor to the character. We knew we wanted to expand the super world and touch on Krypton more, and Supergirl was the way to do it; in fact, having her in season 2 was part of the pitch that got the show greenlit."

- "How much of the DC Universe is available for MAWS? Are there any characters that are off-limits?"

"We had a ton of freedom on the show, which was great -- Batman was the only character off-limits as there were a LOT of other shows and things featuring him, but WB and DC were cool with us taking some of the side Gotham characters like Vicki Vale."

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
Some of Campbell's answers from Reddit-
- "If you got the chance to create a spinoff for an unrelated DC hero set in the same universe as MAWS, which hero would you choose?"

"That's a tough one! I think I would choose Wonder Woman. In a world where the US Government freaked out upon learning aliens existed, I think there would be a lot of storytelling potential in Wonder Woman showing up and being like, "Oh yeah, there's a whole island nation of super-strong demi-immortals you knew nothing about. Anyhow, what's shaking?"

Plus I think a MAWS-style Diana and our MAWS Lois Lane would immediately become friends."

- "I was wondering if you could share some of the thought that went into casting the voice actors for Clark, Lois, and Jimmy"

"For Clark/Superman, our most important criteria was finding someone who could nail the Clark voice. People all tend to have good Superman voices, and we have 80+ years of actors putting on a Superman voice to pull from, but finding an actor who could be charming and anxious as Clark was a lot harder. Luckily, Jack Quaid auditioned and nailed it on his first try!

For Lois, Alice Lee was one of the first voices we heard, and her grit and determination instantly won us over.

Jimmy was actually the hardest to cast, because we needed an actor who could go from shouting ridiculous conspiracy theories about dino-men to conveying real, genuine love and concern for his friends. We wrote a special, very serious side for the Jimmy actors to try, and Ishmael made us all tear up. That audition we actually ended up writing into the show, as the moment Jimmy reveals he knows Clark is Superman and that he wished Clark would have been honest with him."

- "Will the 6 issue comics story play a role in the story of season 2?"

"Both the release for the comic and season 2 got moved around, which is why they're now happening at the same time. But my goal was always to have the comic feel like an extra episode of the TV show, our Christmas Special, which would help tee up some of the emotional stuff oin season 2, and also give a bit more details about Krypton that are not touched on in the show. So while the comic story events won't be referenced on the show, it will fill in some more of the gaps in lore and backstory!"

- "Since promo material for S2 has shown Supergirl, are you able to talk at all about the decision to add her to the cast?"

"Kiana Madeira is her voice actress, and she brings a really unique grit and humor to the character. We knew we wanted to expand the super world and touch on Krypton more, and Supergirl was the way to do it; in fact, having her in season 2 was part of the pitch that got the show greenlit."

- "How much of the DC Universe is available for MAWS? Are there any characters that are off-limits?"

"We had a ton of freedom on the show, which was great -- Batman was the only character off-limits as there were a LOT of other shows and things featuring him, but WB and DC were cool with us taking some of the side Gotham characters like Vicki Vale."
See, more people want to do a Wonder Woman cartoon! Get on it DC :rolleyes2:.

Why am I not surprised Josie Campbell pitched having Supergirl involved from the get-go :p?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
PR embargo must have dropped today, lol. An interview with the producers, they do mention Heatwave was originally written as male like in the comics.

Reddit AMA also confirmed Bloodsport appears in Issue #1 and Kiana Madeira voices Kara (the latter was a rumor that popped up around July 2023 along with 2 others Jeannie Tirado voices Lana Lang, Michael Yurchak voices Winslow Schott) I'm loving the tease of more deep cut DC characters. Not surprised Batman was off-limits but I'm good with him not showing up immediately.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
PR embargo must have dropped today, lol. An interview with the producers, they do mention Heatwave was originally written as male like in the comics.

Reddit AMA also confirmed Bloodsport appears in Issue #1 and Kiana Madeira voices Kara (the latter was a rumor that popped up around July 2023 along with 2 others Jeannie Tirado voices Lana Lang, Michael Yurchak voices Winslow Schott) I'm loving the tease of more deep cut DC characters. Not surprised Batman was off-limits but I'm good with him not showing up immediately.
I like muscle mommy's myself though not sure it really benefited Heatwave much compared to if they'd just used the male version o_O.

Yeah...I am in no rush to see Batman on this show, much as I'm curious what their take on him would be. Wonder Woman or the Marvel Family will probably show up before he does :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts