RIP Akira Toriyama, Creator of Dragon Ball

DBTrilogy100

I don't want to harp on this too long as there are obviously more important things to talk about here, but I did want to point this out real quick

1. Switching the villains in the Android Saga was not actually something Toriyama improvised but rather was something more forced on him by the editor at the time. See the plan WAS for 19 and 20 to be the original androids/cyborgs and be the main villain but the editor didn't really like the designs and felt they were a let down from what Trunks talked about. Thus 17/18/16 being thought of and the editor going "so what now they're just punk kids? There has to be something better then that" thus why Cell became the main villain and a lot of his looks more rushed through then planned out. Like honestly you can sort of see traces of that looking at the story from farther away but honestly it does flow rather seamlessly for the most part and work as a whole.

2. The Whole Potara earring fusion though created to not use Gogeta before movie 12, was thought of more in the first place because Toriyama's original idea of ending the series with Gohan as the hero didn't pan out. And unlike the Cell Saga this wasn't an editor's thing because Toriyama WANTED to end the series originally with the Cell arc and was only convinced to do another arc if he was allowed to do whatever he wanted without ANY editor's notes which was agreed upon. So yeah all the choices there were on him which did include various whims and ideas him not really liking and shifting... last minute which yeah unlike the Cell Saga, makes the Buu Arc's later half feel pretty contrived and poorly plotted at points as it was Toriyama not liking one direction so having to turn a corner... but that other corner not having anything in it so him desperately digging through some sort of pipe to go a new way and us having to deal with some of the sewage as a result.
I really wanted to avoid bogging the thread down over minute details as that's not the point of this thread and, as you said, there are more important things to talk about here but it seems clarifications need to be made.

The first point feels like an argument of semantics/splitting hairs over terminology as I feel we're ultimately saying the same general point. My use of saying Akira Toriyama "improvised the villains of the Android Saga" was to quickly get across the point that "Android 16-18 & Cell (along with his multiple transformations) weren't initially planned" without getting bogged down over the specific details. It's true that this improvising was influenced by editor influence but I wouldn't say that means it's not an example of improvising compared to if he had come up with the switching villains on his own whims; I would simply consider it an example of improvising inspired by outside factors.

It's, indeed, true that Gohan was initially planned to be the main character of the Buu Saga before Akira Toriyama (of his own accord) decided against it in the end. Once again, my focusing on the "Gogeta being in DBZ Movie 12 inspired Akira Toriyama to come up with Vegito/the Potara Earring Fusion" part of the scenario was for the sake of quickly getting the point across without getting bogged down over the specific details. With regards to the notion that Akira Toriyama wanted to end the series with the Cell Saga, the notion that Akira Toriyama wanted to end the series at specific points (whether it be pre-DBZ, the Frieza Saga or the Cell Saga among others) only to be persuaded to continue on is more hazy/not as clear-cut as some might realize. The link here provides a thorough look into the urban legends surrounding the "intended endings" of the series for anyone who wishes to learn more about it because, once again, I really want to avoid bogging the thread down over minute details.

I trust that this clarifies any potential misunderstandings and really hope the matter can rest at that now since I really would rather not bog the thread down any more than it already has as that's not the point of this thread.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
This is me still thinking about Toriyama's passing and Dragon Ball meant a lot to me.

dragonball336.PNG

I'm still bummed out (and almost cry).:(

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I really wanted to avoid bogging the thread down over minute details as that's not the point of this thread

Same which is why I'm going to make these points quick

1. Having another idea that wasn't part of the originally plan and switching it out the last second is different then having to do another idea because forces beyond your control enforced that demand on you.

2. Buu being the final arc because Toriyama wanted to be done after Cell but was asked for another is actual factual truth unlike other claims when Toriyama wanted to leave early.

So yeah that takes care of that.

If this/that's true, then I guess that the Dragon Ball Z/GT/Super/Daima franchise will die, too.

Uh are you trying to say Akira's tragic demise is fictitious Vuxovich cause.... yeah this was reported and clarified by various official sources without any contradictory reports. IE yeah Akira Toriyama DID sadly pass away you can't act like he didn't.

As for the Dragon Ball franchise itself it's not dead at the moment. Likely the manga may have to be reworked (though it should be noted Toriyama wasn't the one directly writing and drawing the Super Manga before just coming up with a few baseline ideas and suggestions for it) but Daima is still happening considering how deep into production they are with that series. Honestly it NOT coming out would be more disrespectful at this point. So there are more things coming but there will be likely talks of more exactly what in the future.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is such tragic news. Admittedly, I've only seen DBZ Kai and Super, so I'm not too involved with the franchise, but Toriyama's influence was incredible. The modern shonen landscape simply would not exist without Dragon Ball. He effectively created the blueprints that other shonen series would follow. Goku and Vegeta in particular are some of the most iconic manga/anime characters out there. And that's not even getting into his earlier work or his vidoe game involvement like with Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger. Plenty of people have gotten into anime with DBZ, especially back in the day on classic Toonami.

One of the saddest parts about this is that he was still working on other projects. He still wanted to do more. He wasn't exactly young, but 68 is still fairly young to be suddenly passing away like this. I can understand why his family wanted to wait before announcing this, but I hope that the amount of love and heartfelt condolsences from fans and people within the anime industry provide them some comfort as well. The impact of his work cannot be overstated and it's a legacy that will live on as well. I hope that Toriyama is at peace and that his family and friends will be okay.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Thinking about Toriyama's passing hit me so hard, I thought it'd be a good idea to drew an art piece I made dedicated to his memory and his famous works.

Fun Fact: My drawing was inspired by Cartoon Network's memorial tribute bumpers to Bill Hanna and Joe Barbara (2001 for the former and 2006 for the latter).

Thank You, Toriyama.png

Never forget this amazing legend.

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I saw Toriyama's name trending on Twitter/X last night and I was hoping for the best but in my heart, I knew something was up. Man, DB was my childhood. I encountered the show when it started airing on Toonami in 1998 and I loved it. I was one of those people who couldn't wait for new episodes to air on Toonami every September from 1999-2001 and then the final episodes in spring of 2002. Just seeing the outporing from so many people online shows how much his creations touched so many people. I'm a DB fan for life and I'm looking forward to Daima since Toriyama was heavily involved in it and we have come full circle with Goku being a kid again.

RIP. And I shed some tears at Masako Nozawa's statement at his passing:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Thought of this years-old post today:
One of the things I've come to admire about DBZ is that in every major arc, one of their enemies becomes a new friend.

Piccolo comes to Goku's aid when the Saiyans arrive, and ends up becoming a second father to Gohan.

Vegeta ends up switching sides when they fight Frieza on Namek. He ends up marrying Bulma and raising a son.

The Cell saga gave us Krillin's future wife, Android 18.

Majin Buu gave us...Majin Buu.

It even carried over into Dragon Ball Super with the additions of the destroyer god Beerus and his aide Whis to the cast.
RIP

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I'm not a Dragon Ball person ,by a stretch, my gateway anime would be Digimon and probably Hamtaro, but I have read and watched some of Dr. Slump. Anyway, this is sad news and to those who his work left a deep impact on them, sorry for your loss. It is sad that a such a talented person will no longer be around.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Naruto creator Masashi Kishimoto:

"I honestly don't know what to write about this sudden event.
But for now, I would like to share my thoughts and feelings that I had hoped for one day Mr. Toriyama would ask me about it.

I grew up with his manga, Dr. Slump in the lower grades of elementary school and Dragon Ball in the upper grades, and it was natural for me to have his manga as a part of my life.
Even when I was having a bad day, the weekly Dragon Ball made me forget about it. As a country boy with nothing, that was a relief to me.
I really enjoyed Dragon Ball too much!
I was a college student. Suddenly, Dragon Ball, which had been a part of my life for so many years, came to an end.
I felt a tremendous sense of loss and didn't know what to look forward to.
But at the same time, it was an opportunity for me to truly understand the greatness of the master who created Dragon Ball.
I wanted to create a work like his!
I wanted to be just like him!
And as I followed in his footsteps to become a manga artist, I began to feel less and less lost. It was because I enjoyed making manga.
By following him, I was able to find new enjoyment.
Sensei was always my guide.
He was my admirer.
I may be annoying to him, but I am grateful to him.
For me, he was truly the God of salvation and the God of manga.

When I first met him, I was too nervous to say a single word.
But after meeting him many times at the Tezuka Award judging, I became able to talk.

I will never forget the slightly embarrassed smile on his face when he and Mr. Oda talked excitedly about how Dragon Ball was fun, as if they were children again and were engaged in a competition.

I just received the news of Sensei's passing.
I feel a tremendous sense of loss, more than when Dragon Ball ended... I still don't know how to deal with this hole in my heart. I can't even read Dragon Ball, which I love.
I don't even feel like I can write this message to Sensei properly.
Everyone in the world was still looking forward to your work.
If I could really have one Dragon Ball wish come true...I'm sorry...
That may be selfish of me, but I am sad, Sensei.

Akira Toriyama-sensei, thank you for 45 years of enjoyable works.
And thank you for your hard work.

I am sure that his family members are still deeply saddened by this loss.
Please take care of yourselves.
I pray that Akira Toriyama-sensei may rest in peace."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
One-Punch Man's Yusuke Murata:

"I feel like I chose this path not because I wanted to be a manga artist, but because I wanted to be like Toriyama-sensei. I wanted to draw like Toriyama-sensei"

"Shortly after the series started, when I met him, he cheerfully told me, a newcomer[...], about the background of Dragon Quest's character design, and I was struck by his kind personality, and I was struck by how strong he was, yet incredibly cheerful and personable. I felt that Goku and Arale, who didn't cause tension, were definitely born from this person."

"It happened so suddenly that I was stunned for a day. Maybe it's sadness or emptiness, but I still can't accept the huge hole that suddenly opened up. I am grateful for the huge influence you have left on me, and for the time being I will work while trying to organize my mind. Thank you, Mr. Toriyama."

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Same which is why I'm going to make these points quick

1. Having another idea that wasn't part of the originally plan and switching it out the last second is different then having to do another idea because forces beyond your control enforced that demand on you.

2. Buu being the final arc because Toriyama wanted to be done after Cell but was asked for another is actual factual truth unlike other claims when Toriyama wanted to leave early.
Actually, Intended Endings Guide | Possible Ending #6: Cell - Kanzenshuu

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

there are many parts of my childhood I wish I could erase from my memories. so much bullying. I was mentally, emotionally and physically traumatized. really, my current personality is me trying to reclaim that part of my life.
Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.

Featured Posts