"Shangri-La Frontier" talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Two intense phases. Vaguely reminds me of fighting Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon in the FF games.

Wow, that's some strategy. Having to sink your fortune in buying up rare items to barely stand a chance then giving up even more for stat boosts in-fight. Ho ho, and on top of that, even without his sword, he still has insta-kill elemental attacks.

That some some idea Katzo had for Kirin the horse... lol. Whatever works.

So he's a zombie cyborg with a banshee scream? Nuts. Some idea to look for holy saint water. Seems to have worked. And those are cracks in the armor, seems like Phase 3 will allow him to take damage finally. But then what do they do, one fight him and the one supports and one tries to kill Kirin, too? Do they still have to keep the two from joining?

doomrider7

That One Guy
Two intense phases. Vaguely reminds me of fighting Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon in the FF games.

Wow, that's some strategy. Having to sink your fortune in buying up rare items to barely stand a chance then giving up even more for stat boosts in-fight. Ho ho, and on top of that, even without his sword, he still has insta-kill elemental attacks.

That some some idea Katzo had for Kirin the horse... lol. Whatever works.

So he's a zombie cyborg with a banshee scream? Nuts. Some idea to look for holy saint water. Seems to have worked. And those are cracks in the armor, seems like Phase 3 will allow him to take damage finally. But then what do they do, one fight him and the one supports and one tries to kill Kirin, too? Do they still have to keep the two from joining?
He's an undead kept on life support by a cyborg samurai suit. The first two phases are the suits auto-pilot functions. My theory is that the suits script hits an error when it can't combine with Kirin which in turn troggers a malfunction causing Wethermon to actually wake up with a Death Scream that you need to block somehow. Now the REAL fight starts.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
He's an undead kept on life support by a cyborg samurai suit.
Oh, I must've forgot that part but that makes 'sense'. Kinda like Silver Samurai in that one Wolverine movie. But overall, instantly made me think of the Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon fights.

The first two phases are the suits auto-pilot functions. My theory is that the suits script hits an error when it can't combine with Kirin which in turn troggers a malfunction causing Wethermon to actually wake up with a Death Scream that you need to block somehow. Now the REAL fight starts.
1/28: Ho ho ho, this was just auto-pilot? If this last phase is 10 minutes of fighting an awake Wethermon, this is gonna be a long week of a wait! :D

I figured it can't kill you if you can't hear it? Eh, probably too simple a strategy.

2/4: Great episode this week! So much action and Wethermon gets even tougher with spamming combos and a crazy new attack.

Nice to see the fruits of collecting that beetle material. And the Moonblades! Makes sense Sunraku wouldn't stick to the waiting strategy. The transformer horse was definitely a surprise.

Rei's been doing some light stalking, lol.

Last edited:

doomrider7

That One Guy
Oh, I must've forgot that part but that makes 'sense'. Kinda like Silver Samurai in that one Wolverine movie. But overall, instantly made me think of the Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon fights.

1/28: Ho ho ho, this was just auto-pilot? If this last phase is 10 minutes of fighting an awake Wethermon, this is gonna be a long week of a wait! :D

I figured it can't kill you if you can't hear it? Eh, probably too simple a strategy.

2/4: Great episode this week! So much action and Wethermon gets even tougher with spamming combos and a crazy new attack.

Nice to see the fruits of collecting that beetle material. And the Moonblades! Makes sense Sunraku wouldn't stick to the waiting strategy. The transformer horse was definitely a surprise.

Rei's been doing some light stalking, lol.
They're really pulling out all the stops for this fight, and I don't just mean Sunraku and crew, but Studio C2C. The animation on this fight has been AWE INSPIRING to see. They're really doing the manga justice with this.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Epic climax! That day's major update helped Sunraku at the most crucial time, ha! So there a whole lot of luck factored into the win. As well as repetition and observation, watching each conquest and timing the revival. The blade fusion was cool. Just barely got the parry done in time with Endure. Just amazing stuff!

And all those custom made spears were sacrificed by Pencil. Not only did she spend so so much money but her custom weapons, too. And Katzo for the finishing epic move only for the "I'm okay" moment, lol. Hilarious their real reason for defeating Kirin was so Sunraku wouldn't mock them for months about it, lmao.

Nice touch with the end credits showing Wethermon before all this.

Boy, Rei has some thoughts...

Animation was amazing this episode even with Emul at the beginning worrying about Sunraku.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Epic climax! That day's major update helped Sunraku at the most crucial time, ha! So there a whole lot of luck factored into the win. As well as repetition and observation, watching each conquest and timing the revival. The blade fusion was cool. Just barely got the parry done in time with Endure. Just amazing stuff!

And all those custom made spears were sacrificed by Pencil. Not only did she spend so so much money but her custom weapons, too. And Katzo for the finishing epic move only for the "I'm okay" moment, lol. Hilarious their real reason for defeating Kirin was so Sunraku wouldn't mock them for months about it, lmao.

Nice touch with the end credits showing Wethermon before all this.

Boy, Rei has some thoughts...

Animation was amazing this episode even with Emul at the beginning worrying about Sunraku.
Not sure if I mentioned before, but Sunraku and Emul's VA's got married recently. Also the next episode is gonna be such a beautiful chaotic dumpster fire of epic proportions.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not sure if I mentioned before, but Sunraku and Emul's VA's got married recently. Also the next episode is gonna be such a beautiful chaotic dumpster fire of epic proportions.
Yeah, I mentioned it last month in this talkback.

Also liked that touch of Katzo leaping off Pencil's head for the finishing move. :D

And in that minisode at the end, there was a brief mention when she fretted about what shape to make the chocolate -- I totally forgot Psyger-100 is Rei's sister unless that was the reveal. Like any other anime, so much to keep track of.

Dumpster fire you say? I'm in. heh heh.

EDIT: Will they show how the developer reacts to one of the Colossi being defeated? Bet this will make them freak out!

Last edited:

doomrider7

That One Guy
Yeah, I mentioned it last month in this talkback.

Also liked that touch of Katzo leaping off Pencil's head for the finishing move. :D

And in that minisode at the end, there was a brief mention when she fretted about what shape to make the chocolate -- I totally forgot Psyger-100 is Rei's sister unless that was the reveal. Like any other anime, so much to keep track of.

Dumpster fire you say? I'm in. heh heh.

EDIT: Will they show how the developer reacts to one of the Colossi being defeated? Bet this will make them freak out!
We have only seen PART of the dumpster fire. Next week we should see the full extent as well as the spoils of the battle.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That was funny Wethermon reacted to Sunraku's critique and recalled Setsuna found his puns corny, too.

Immediately back to annoying Pencil. :D

I can kinda relate to the players in the library who try to catalog all the info of the game.

That's interesting the game announces to everyone who defeats the unique monsters. Don't think Sunraku is interested in more fame but he just a whole lot of it.

Bahamut, lol. Like Final Fantasy? Another unique monster here? Or some twist like it's a place or name of the ship Setsuna and co. were the crew of? Hmm. Was a little bummed out, they got no rare items from beating Wethermon? For a hot second, I thought he was gonna give the sword to Sunraku.

50 second later. ROFL. That face the brother's face made upon being killed, lmao.

Rei is the GOAT.

Nice touch with Sunraku using a mushroom as a mike.

Ha ha, that was cute Emul jumped through the background to go join Sunraku to save the carrots.

We have only seen PART of the dumpster fire. Next week we should see the full extent as well as the spoils of the battle.
Ah, cool.

doomrider7

That One Guy
That was funny Wethermon reacted to Sunraku's critique and recalled Setsuna found his puns corny, too.

Immediately back to annoying Pencil. :D

I can kinda relate to the players in the library who try to catalog all the info of the game.

That's interesting the game announces to everyone who defeats the unique monsters. Don't think Sunraku is interested in more fame but he just a whole lot of it.

Bahamut, lol. Like Final Fantasy? Another unique monster here? Or some twist like it's a place or name of the ship Setsuna and co. were the crew of? Hmm. Was a little bummed out, they got no rare items from beating Wethermon? For a hot second, I thought he was gonna give the sword to Sunraku.

50 second later. ROFL. That face the brother's face made upon being killed, lmao.

Rei is the GOAT.

Nice touch with Sunraku using a mushroom as a mike.

Ha ha, that was cute Emul jumped through the background to go join Sunraku to save the carrots.

Ah, cool.
And the attack she used was one of her "Regular" powerful attacks. It wasn't even her strongest.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
And the attack she used was one of her "Regular" powerful attacks. It wasn't even her strongest.
sunrakuhuh.jpg

That's pretty dope. Hopefully she gets to take part in a Unique Monster fight in this series.

doomrider7

That One Guy
View attachment 307352

That's pretty dope. Hopefully she gets to take part in a Unique Monster fight in this series.
Kodansha Award Winnin/Nominated Bundle

Bundle imcludes, Vindland Saga, Medalist, Nina the Starry Bride, Blue Period, Shangri-la Frontier, The Drops of God, A Silent Voice, What Die Have to Eat Yesterday, Witch Hat Atelier, A Sign of Affection. Only two days left on it. If you can get the word out it would really appreciated. Also, read Medalist and Witch Hat Atelier.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Rei's thoughts in bed, ha ha. I really hope we're gonna see them go on a quest together this season.

So that's the Utopia big three... quite dysfunctional but on the flip side, makes sense... got a feel they were they type they were a tight group of friends relatively unchanged from their college years hanging out in someone's basement or garage dreaming of cool games they were gonna make someday.

That was super impressive, Sunraku's at Level 78 - looks he's the one that lucked out the most on that. Katzo lost levels and Pencil had to start over. Interesting loot, sounds like he'll need to find some special gear and he'll be able to learn and do Wethermon's killer moves!! Then Vash has a fetch quest in mind that's not on the conventional map heh. Like Sunraku, not surprised to get to the cool stuff, he's gotta go find stuff, lol. And this Inventoria Key and the 'storage room' was a shocker. So... can he use what's already in there? Nah, probably not. Like this show is going he'll need to be Level 100 or have to find other rare items, lol.

Uh oh, Lycagon.

Lightless Barrens... probably the name of a spaceship. The items Vash wants sounds like parts you'd find on on one.

doomrider7

That One Guy
Rei's thoughts in bed, ha ha. I really hope we're gonna see them go on a quest together this season.

So that's the Utopia big three... quite dysfunctional but on the flip side, makes sense... got a feel they were they type they were a tight group of friends relatively unchanged from their college years hanging out in someone's basement or garage dreaming of cool games they were gonna make someday.

That was super impressive, Sunraku's at Level 78 - looks he's the one that lucked out the most on that. Katzo lost levels and Pencil had to start over. Interesting loot, sounds like he'll need to find some special gear and he'll be able to learn and do Wethermon's killer moves!! Then Vash has a fetch quest in mind that's not on the conventional map heh. Like Sunraku, not surprised to get to the cool stuff, he's gotta go find stuff, lol. And this Inventoria Key and the 'storage room' was a shocker. So... can he use what's already in there? Nah, probably not. Like this show is going he'll need to be Level 100 or have to find other rare items, lol.

Uh oh, Lycagon.

Lightless Barrens... probably the name of a spaceship. The items Vash wants sounds like parts you'd find on on one.
A lot of it is armor so no he can't use it because of the markings...and the fact that they need be charging with "ancient tech".

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A lot of it is armor so no he can't use it because of the markings...and the fact that they need be charging with "ancient tech".
2/25: Right, he needs to beat Lycagon or get the prayer from a Saint to get rid of it. ha ha, and yeah there it is, has be charged with something.

3/3: So much for a clean slate, indeed. Hm, guess the sword Sunraku forgot to hand over will coincidentally help him out down the line. Interesting Pencil wanted to form a clan with them but surprised it's because it's lucrative.

Katzo or Kei is definitely a pro gamer based on that shot of his room.

Need a certain craftsman to fix the reactor. Intriguing he was able to convince a NPC to basically level up.

3/10: Another side quest that will help him get to the previous side quest! :D

The power of camouflage... rofl.

Another pro/con of the Wethermon fight, those undead baddies turning tail and running. At least the curse mark protects him from the miasma.

Cool, a fight with a rare enemy!

Whoa... Bilac is level 98...

lol, so cute Emul is starting to sound like Sunraku.

Last edited:

doomrider7

That One Guy
2/25: Right, he needs to beat Lycagon or get the prayer from a Saint to get rid of it. ha ha, and yeah there it is, has be charged with something.

3/3: So much for a clean slate, indeed. Hm, guess the sword Sunraku forgot to hand over will coincidentally help him out down the line. Interesting Pencil wanted to form a clan with them but surprised it's because it's lucrative.

Katzo or Kei is definitely a pro gamer based on that shot of his room.

Need a certain craftsman to fix the reactor. Intriguing he was able to convince a NPC to basically level up.

3/10: Another side quest that will help him get to the previous side quest! :D

The power of camouflage... rofl.

Another pro/con of the Wethermon fight, those undead baddies turning tail and running. At least the curse mark protects him from the miasma.

Cool, a fight with a rare enemy!

Whoa... Bilac is level 98...

lol, so cute Emul is starting to sound like Sunraku.
Yeah Bilac is the Unga Bunga strength build to Emul's magic build.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
3/17: Pretty hilarious Sunraku didn't bother to get a holy weapons but sometimes improvising works just as well. :D lol, he wanted to try the pile drive move.

lmao, Emul almost killed him.

Hmm, something for a shaman. There was that Animalia awhile back.

Of course he'd go back to fight the Crystal Scorpions.

3/24: When a player gets obsessed with mining from OP beasts. lmao. But that's gonna be some uber gear both for defense and offense no doubt.

3/31: Ending season 1 on a quiet note but not surprised the Library found him so soon. On one hand, he wants to keep his secrets but on the other, they could have useful intel for his side quests or know about stuff like Bahamut. Old dude in a young girl avatar. Ok. Shrug.

Hmm, getting into politics a little. Beating a Colossi could start a war? Intriguing. Another NPC tagging along and one that annoys Bilac. heh heh. It's like he's got a second party now if you count Pencil and Katzo as his other.

lol, he blew off Pencil and Katzo.

Ooo, a rematch with Lycagon in season 2? An some epic gemstones and weapons? Yes, please!

Season 2 starts in October.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts