So, Now what does the new era of Warner Bros. Discovery Kids, Family, Young Adults and Classics hold?

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
If anything, they should put the Warner Bros. side of the business in charge. They can handle animated programs far better. Plus, we could see Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, and Batman The Animated Series back on the channel.

Otakuninja2006

It's funny that people wanted the change, they got it. Yet they still complain. Schedules are actually better than they were in 2020. This week isn't good but it has had a good schedule usually. There are also changes every week now, not the same auto-pilot one.
What do you mean by this one?
As long as this Discovery thing goes, I don't think they will control it much and let WB control it since they actually know how to handle cartoons unlike Discovery execs. So pretty much no changes to the kids TV and HBO Max animated side, I'm sure.
Ok.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Which is why Hasbro should just buy it from them.
Hasbro doesn't have that kind of money. They couldn't own a channel by themselves, and after what happened with The Hub, I doubt that Hasbro would want to give that another shot. They don't have enough programming to run a 24/7 channel by themselves anyway. If The Hub has taught us anything, it's that having a cable channel run by a toy company is a bad idea.

Moe

I have to wait for Unified Upfront, so please stay positive. :)

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
If anything, they should put the Warner Bros. side of the business in charge. They can handle animated programs far better.

I'm pretty sure letting WarnerMedia handle the kid-vid was the plan all along. Discovery hasn't shown any real interest in children's programming since before The Hub folded.
Plus, we could see Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, and Batman The Animated Series back on the channel.
Warner Bros. doesn't need Discovery Family for that; they could be airing those shows on TV right now if they wanted to, and they are -- on HBO Max. There's currently a new Animaniacs airing on Hulu and new Tiny Toons and Batman shows in the works; as such, WB doesn't really see a huge need to run the original shows on TV again, especially since they're available for streaming. Least of all on Discovery Family. WB already has 2 kids' channels, so they don't need Discovery Family for anything.

Last edited:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
If anything, they should put the Warner Bros. side of the business in charge. They can handle animated programs far better. Plus, we could see Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, and Batman The Animated Series back on the channel.
I love the optimism, but I really don't see Warner Bros. wanting to manage/take over Discovery Family. Why would WB need or want to launch another kid's channel when they already have 2?

LodyKing101! said:
Then what do you predict will happen to the channel?

Discovery will probably remake Disc Fam into something else, maybe another documentary or lifestyle channel. If Disc Fam isn't bringing in a significant amount of ad revenue, they could just shut the channel down entirely.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Well, Tom Ascheim has been laid off and his position is being eliminated, and the networks and studios are being reshuffled to separate divisions of the newly merged company. It's chaos all around.
Well, that stinks. Discovery has proven time and again that they have no idea how to run a kid's network. Let's hope that Warner Bros. Discovery at least puts someone in charge of Cartoon Network who knows what they're doing.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Today is the official upfronts, I'm personally not expecting anything other than what's already announced.

I do expect some announcements. Two at that, honestly.

We got the Craig of the Creek movie and Season 5, its Jessica spinoff, Teen Titans GO!, Victor and Valentino (or what's left of that series), Tig 'N' Seek, We Baby Bears, Cartoon Cartoons and the final CNS Shorts Department shorts, the final Summer Camp Island episodes, Cartoonito, HBOMax....

Gross Girls, Invincible Fight Girl, Battu, Tiny Toons, Night Begins to Shine, Batman: Caped Crusader, Jade Armour, My Adventures with Superman, Battu, Unicorn: Warriors Eternal, the Driftwood movie.

What else? Discovery Family crossover shows? A few unannounced projects? 30th Anniversary dedication?

Last edited:

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
Personally, I hope that we get a revival of Bone announced at the Upfront.
Netflix already cancelled it, so maybe HBO Max can pick it up.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Well.....the Warner Bros Discovery upfront came and went, and at least we got ONE thing that came out in the upfront for Cartoon Network is Chelm: The Smartest Place on Earth

And....yeah that's it lol

As disappointing the upfront was, at least one is better than none (shrugs).

Otakuninja2006

Well.....the Warner Bros Discovery upfront came and went, and at least we got ONE thing that came out in the upfront for Cartoon Network is Chelm: The Smartest Place on Earth

And....yeah that's it lol

As disappointing the upfront was, at least one is better than none (shrugs).
Yeah.......

I'm not counting it.....

Can't even get a update on what's going on.....

I have a strange feeling that either everything's being held back further, being moved to HBO Max or they're getting ready to kill Cartoon Network, like, they robbed CN of it's own studio and they killed The Hub, so what makes you think they won't kill CN?

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I have a strange feeling that either everything's being held back further, being moved to HBO Max or they're getting ready to kill Cartoon Network, like, they robbed CN of it's own studio and they killed The Hub, so what makes you think they won't kill CN?

Because unlike The Hub, Cartoon Network is a global brand that rakes in millions annually, plus it's tied to one of the biggest entertainment studios on the planet, so they'd be insane to do so.

Look, I liked The Hub, but it and Cartoon Network aren't even close to being the same thing. CN has a plethora of original shows, franchises and properties at its' disposal, the same unfortunately couldn't be said for The Hub. The Hub didn't earn what CN earned.

Since there were no new announcements regarding CN beyond that one Chelm special and some live-action stuff, I'm going to assume that everything that was previously announced for CN is still underway.

Yeah, Zaslav has said that he might want to change how WBD does things regarding kids, young adult, family and cartoon entertainment, but he also said that he had no plans to abandon WB's animated properties. The guy wants to "crank out hits", so why would he dump the CN originals, Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera and DC, their biggest cash cows?

Zaslav might change CN (i.e., make it more live-action friendly and consequently turn it into what's essentially a Nick clone) but he's not going to kill it. The plan is to save WB and ending Cartoon Network would be career suicide.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Warner's upfronts rarely announce much for Cartoon Network. [adult swim] tends to get a couple of announcements, but CN tends to save their news for their own upfronts or at other points in the year.

Also keep in mind that we've had a plethora of news about Cartoon Network lately. A few new series and movie announcements, as well as a change in management. It may be too soon to reveal or even know if there is more to share. Please be patient.

Sun Dash Note

A proud Brony! 20% cooler! Found out I'm Trans.
Please, Zaslav, do something about it.
We are IMPATIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are already a couple of threads about this in other forums. Viz:

Future of Discovery Family? | Anime Superhero Forum

AT&T unloads WarnerMedia to Discovery Networks | Page 27 | Anime Superhero Forum

Do you think Netflix can take over Discovery Family after Hasbro's partnership ends? | Anime Superhero Forum

But since you asked, I don't see Cartoon Network, Cartoonito or [adult swim] undergoing any major changes. (Boomerang is a gray area; we'll have to wait and see what happens with that.) It looks like Discovery is going to stick to their reality, lifestyle and documentary content and leave the kid-vid to Warner Bros. Discovery hasn't had any involvement with children's programming since The Hub folded; yeah, there was Discovery Family, but that had no original programs outside of the Hasbro leftovers, and with Hasbro divesting their stake and partnering up with E-One, those shows aren't likely to turn up on any of the Warner Bros. channels; when Hasbro splits, they'll be taking their shows with them. WBD would likely have to negotiate with Hasbro to air My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop and the like, but that doesn't seem like something they need or want to do since Discovery now has the entire WB library at their disposal.

I don't see any of the former Discovery Kids shows coming to CN or HBO Max either. Discovery seems to regard DK as a failed experiment that they have no desire to revisit or repeat. Discovery Kids shows could have been airing on The Hub or Discovery Family if Discovery wanted, but they clearly don't. The only DK show Discovery actually owns is Kenny the Shark anyway.
I do think, that there is one show, that brought success. And that show is My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. It would be a shame to NOT put AT LEAST that show to Cartoon Network, it has been airing on Cartoon Network in some other countries after all. Imagine the impact to the show.

I'm pretty sure letting WarnerMedia handle the kid-vid was the plan all along. Discovery hasn't shown any real interest in children's programming since before The Hub folded.

Warner Bros. doesn't need Discovery Family for that; they could be airing those shows on TV right now if they wanted to, and they are -- on HBO Max. There's currently a new Animaniacs airing on Hulu and new Tiny Toons and Batman shows in the works; as such, WB doesn't really see a huge need to run the original shows on TV again, especially since they're available for streaming. Least of all on Discovery Family. WB already has 2 kids' channels, so they don't need Discovery Family for anything.
A new leadership of Warner Bros. doesn't want to focus on HBO Max (and Streaming in general) that much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts