The Official Live-Action One Piece Talkback Thread *spoilers*

Eldorado

This did what Bebop couldn't and we get confirmation of Chopper too. Just as The Last of Us and Twisted Metal have broken the video game live action TV show curse, this show did likewise with anime.
I wonder if other studios will learn a lesson from this and start making their own anime adaptations with accuracy.

Mandouga

So, I’ve been wondering about something. Eiichiro Oda is an executive producer on the show, and was involved with every part of its production including casting apparently. Reading about the show on TV Tropes, it’s apparently darker and more violent compared to even the original manga. Some characters even have (slightly) different personalities. What I want to know is, is this show supposed to be what Oda “meant” as opposed to what he had originally written?

Fun fact also according to TV Tropes: the initial 8-episode season (which in this case—and only this case—I could personally call an actual “season”) is a compressed adaptation of the first 95 chapters of the manga, which had previously been adapted into the first 44 episodes of the anime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobodyman

So, I’ve been wondering about something. Eiichiro Oda is an executive producer on the show, and was involved with every part of its production including casting apparently. Reading about the show on TV Tropes, it’s apparently darker and more violent compared to even the original manga.
In some instances, yes, like...
Zoro killing Mr. 7 and Kuro killing Merry
And stylistically it's a bit less vibrant and goofy and, well...cartoony. But for the most part I'd say the show isn't that much darker than the manga.

Some characters even have (slightly) different personalities. What I want to know is, is this show supposed to be what Oda “meant” as opposed to what he had originally written?
If you mean is this how Oda always wanted to tell story, but couldn't for whatever reason, then I'm gonna have to say a hard NO on that. I mean, I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know everything he's thinking or if he has any regrets, but having followed the story for nearly 20 years now, I'd say most of the changes for the LA series were for the sake of budgeting and timing and trying to make a broader appeal to an American audience.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

Nobodyman

My biggest question is how they'll handle the aging cast. You can keep an animated Luffy 19 forever, but a LA one, not so much.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
My biggest question is how they'll handle the aging cast. You can keep an animated Luffy 19 forever, but a LA one, not so much.
Deaging, maybe? Otherwise, I really can't see this running for over 20 years like the anime anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Okay, we will be getting the arc that was skipped back in the 4kids dub.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Kinda surprised it got put in the children's category considering how much more violent this show was than the other nominees (Percy Jackson, Goosebumps).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com.

"Season Two of Live Action “One Piece” News Roundup"​

One-Piece.webp

The 2023 Western live action adaptation of One Piece is widely seen as the greatest Western live action anime adaptation ever made, being much more faithful than previous adaptations. It spent several weeks on Netflix’s top ten charts and definitely was a major hit. The Writers Guild awarded the premiere episode in the “Children’s Episodic, Long Form, and Specials” category. Now fans have to wait for a second season, which can sometimes be a long wait for a Netflix television show. Netflix is known for its multi-year long waits between seasons, like the infamous gap we will have of at least three years for Stranger Things, but it is possible that we will be spared of that and only have a two year gap.

Production Weekly has reported that the live action One Piece is aiming for a 2025 release, which is only a two year between seasons. Filming is set to start in June of this year and is set to wrap up in January 2025. A two year rather than three year wait is fortunate as unlike cartoon characters, actors age and middle aged Straw Hat pirates would be awkward. There are over 1,100 episodes in the anime to adapt, so it is doubtful the entire anime will receive a complete adaptation, but the live action One Piece is planned to have six seasons, which should with a biennial schedule, should have the show running to 2033.

Click here to read the full article.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Featured Posts