"Velma" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
@Silverstar, well, as long its give us rio 3, I think it worth better to do hatewatching ice age buck wild
You wouldn't get Rio 3 that way though, at least not a good one. Hate watching the crappy version of something would just tell the suits that you'd be okay with more crap. Popular doesn't always mean good.

Bringing this back to Velma, the reason it got a second season is because a lot of people watched it, even though a huge chunk of them weren't watching because they liked it. If you want a good adaptation of something, then don't give the mediocre or crappy version oxygen. That was my point.

But @Pooky is right: let's not derail the thread any further. Try to keep things on-topic.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
"The internet" hates lots of things the public doesn't mind, or even likes. The mainstream reviews were mixed, but not incendiary like the YouTubers etc. It's entirely possible a large percentage of those who watched Velma thought it was at least acceptable. We really can't know.

Mejo

Just a standard Fox going about in the Wild West
"The internet" hates lots of things the public doesn't mind, or even likes. The mainstream reviews were mixed, but not incendiary like the YouTubers etc. It's entirely possible a large percentage of those who watched Velma thought it was at least acceptable. We really can't know.
You also gotta remember that most of the stuff that people claim got popular because of “Hate Watching” are mostly being viewed by average joes. Usually, people are going to watch Velma regardless of how hated it is online because they just want to kick back and watch something that entertains them for 30 minutes (the show being connected to a big franchise also helps drive their initiative). Trying to say that the internet hating on something is the ONLY reason why a bad show gets popular is crazy.

And what about the times that the internet hated on something, caused it to go viral for a while and generating lots of discussion online, only for said media to flop? Take Morbius, a film that was ridiculed constantly online that ended up flopping at the box office, but was then re-released to capitalize on said hatred, only for it to flop again. There’s also Santa Inc., a show that was panned constantly online and then cancelled after one season. Now, are there instances where the internet hating on something caused it to get popular? Absolutely, but those are few and far between compared to the other, more logical ways for why it got popular.

Last edited:

Corwin Haught

I don't think that Warner Bros. believes that people were/are watching Velma because they like it. Most likely, the studio already had a commitment to airing a fixed number of episodes. I doubt very much that there were so many people hate watching Velma that it got the show another season.
This is the second half of the first production order, so this season was pre-ordained from day one. Maybe enough people hatewatched it to get the series to seasons 3 and 4, we don't know yet.

Pooky

Staff member
Take this with a pinch of salt but I've heard that
Scrappy is the villain, or at least a villain
, which seems kind of hacky, not least as
the 2002 film did the same thing

5YearsOnEastCoast

Take this with a pinch of salt but I've heard that
Scrappy is the villain, or at least a villain
, which seems kind of hacky, not least as
the 2002 film did the same thing
From what I heard, he does seem to be a main villain of S2. Also he kills Velma... only for Velma to come back as a ghost and kill Scrappy-Doo.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
The higher-ups at WB told the producers quite implicitly that they couldn't use Scooby because he's beloved by kids. The fact that they had no problem with Scrappy being given the Velma treatment shows you how much reverence they hold for the character.

Frontier

Staff member
I still remember that scene in the 13th Ghost movie where Flim-Flam mentioned him but Velma acted like she had no idea who he was.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.
Happy 8th Anniversary to the Loud House! I still enjoy the show, mostly.
I don't care what anyone says, The Super Friends version of the origin of Batman was pretty effective for 1980s Saturday morning TV. Plus, Alfred telling young Bruce Wayne it's time to go when visiting his parents' graves just tugs at the heartstrings.

Featured Posts