"X-Men '97" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss Season One of X-Men'97!

• Total voters

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Now onto my thoughts on the episode, it was good aside from the Captain America cameo because like all X-Men related media in the last decade they couldn't resist mischaracterizing an Avenger.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Mod Note: A reminder to keep things civilized. It's fine if you don't like the show and post negative reviews but don't go overboard with it. It's also fine to disagree with someone's opinion but there's no need to start fights here; don't resort to personal attacks or derail the topic trying to prove a point. Going forward posts like this will be either edited or deleted and infractions will be issued if necessary.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"Bright Eyes" - So a weird concern I had was knowing this was going to be the last episode of the season before the three part finale that it was going to be another episode not really focusing that much on the whole aftermath in Genosha and was going to be like an episode focused in the future with Cable and Bishop. Probably because I've been a bit burnt before about arc shows that got TWO episodes in a row diverging from their main story to tell either side stories or have focuses on something else when there's a larger event to talk about. Thankfully this show didn't do that and is instead focused on the after math of what happened in Genosha and the X-Men trying to get answers about what's happening where yeah we have a lot of various different cogs moving with these different story lines. So should probably focus on them all one at a time... though starting with ones only worth a bit of focus.

Character Drama - I don't want to discredit these bits as they are important but also are only given a minimal amount of focus. For example Hank and Trish having a falling out due to her though trying to sound sympathetic also touching a nerve which yeah right after Genosha was very poor wording on her part I get why Hank would be upset at her. I do like Scott and Jean trying to clear up their complicated issues with Jean pointing out all their other various hardships and Scott saying every time Jean came back. That was a rather sweet moment if you know not surrounded by all the psychic screaming and heart ache going down. I also really liked Kurt's eulogy for Gambit and though using a lot of card analogies was phrasing it as Gambit didn't realize how great a guy he was due to his humility and the impact he left behind. I'm glad that though this is focused on a key X-Men and obviously the fall out of what happened we do get these character moments even seeing various other mutants helping try and clear out all the damage and finding Emma Frost survived due to her diamond powers that are now being revealed. Like at first I thought skipping a bit of time after what happened wouldn't work but honestly having this buffer and seeing the characters still reacting to this obvious massive tragedy actually does work well and really sink you in to what's happening here. And you know though there are a couple of barbs every now and then (mostly thrown by Morph noting how tacky the whole soda machine secret room bit is) it is really focused on the drama, even in the seemingly lighter plots. For example...

Roberto and Jubilee - I don't know how important this will be to the overall story but they did dedicate more then like 30 seconds/ a minute to this story in the episode so I thought it was worth talking about separately. I don't know if I said it before but the only new relationship I feel worked not based on any previous history within the series or this universe was with them because yeah this is young love so I can see it moving more forward with these sort of characters and honestly I do really like the talks the two have here. Like Roberto thinking this sort of event is even more reason to hide but Jubilee pointing out how horrifying it would be for his parents to find out he died if it was through something like this not knowing if there will be a war coming and them not even knowing who he is. Like that all flowed really well and showed a level of maturity and intrigued I don't think they ever got with Jubilee in the original series. And I also really liked the follow up with Roberto and his mom. At first I thought "okay it is amusing he wouldn't realize they would figure it out but they are acting a bit too rationally to finding out he's a mutant" but then his mom pointing out "okay you have to make sure no one else knows and we'll need to limit who you can even see to keep up our family's image" yeah made it feel real. Like X-2 tried having Bobby's family react to him being a mutant but that felt kind of forced but honestly this to me feels much more real; obviously loving and wanting to be there for their kid but also having this legacy and not wanting this sort of thing getting out which yeah is going to cause conflict later, but you get why and it makes sense within the rest of the narrative they are telling here.

Rouge's Rampage - I didn't see a clip but I did get spoiled last night knowing at least not all this episode would focus on the future when hearing a clip from this would but Rogue going on some sort of rampage. For some weird reason I thought "oh man did she snap and go back to more pure villain" which yeah in retrospect wouldn't work but I do actually really like the idea of her trying to figure out where Gyrich and Trask were. And yeah being more hardcore but not pure bloodthirsty. I really like her tearing through those military grunts and getting to Ross and then her interaction with of all characters Captain America. Which through me for a seocnd but then I remembered "oh yeah even in the original X-Men TAS there were the Avengers who cameod occassionally every now and then" though of course back then you wouldn't care as much because... yeah until the MCU no regular fan cared much about Avengers characters. I think some fans familiar with the MCU or even some of the comics may also find it weird how more strictly military "following the code" the Captain America is here as yeah that isn't the case for Chris Evan's take on the character but I totally buy it for this world and appreciate him trying to talk with Rogue but her not dealing with the red tape and then just throwing his shield away. I especially liked her then actually meeting up with Gyrich and absorbing all of his memories and draining him. Like I kind of thought "oooh wow they're going ot have her kill and drain him that is going really dark but in the right way" but I guess it was just to unconciousness which... kind of felt like a cheat but they made up for it later. First I really liked her reunion with Nightcrawler (I guess there did feel like a weird skip of her draining the info and then waking up seeing Kurt but ehhhh not that big a deal) and admitting how lousy a big sister she is before fully breaking down about Remy. Then her actually grabbing Trask and fine letting him fall when he didn't have any info. Now that is some "they are showing Rogue's darkness and grief well" I haven't felt since that scene of her in Evolution when she pushed stone Mystique to her seeming death. Granted technically Trask didn't die here from her but yeah the intent was there and that's what is most important.

Ending Battle/Villain Reveal - But of course Trask didn't die because he was turned into a new special kind of Sentienel and yeah that leads to a great battle between the rest of the team. It does show the menace of how powerful just one of these things are if it's flatlining everyone so quickly. I really dig Morph going Quicksilver and the hits not working and then Jean's psychic kind of energy flow DBZ esque battle in the sky before being slammed and then Trask only being taken out by a specific powered grenade weapon thrown by Cable. Who yeah finally reveals/they find out his lineage which I am glad is treated like a reveal I'm sure they'll talk about later but there's obviously more important things going on. Like Gyrich actually being murdered (rather darkly but in a good way) and the reveal that to those of you complaining "oh Mister Sinister was behind all this that's lame" finding out no he's not the master Mind it's instead a totally different villain Bastion who.... yeah I admit I haven't heard of before. Like I'm mostly a fan of X-Men through the films and Evolution and some other media but I'm not an expert at all like obviously the people behind this show so yeah I had to look up what this guy's done and who he is and... yeah I get why he can be considered like a arc villain even if he hadn't appeared in other media before. Honestly him talking about how the other baddies failed in the 90's or revealing magneto is alive (I am glad that was revealed and that yeah he is because quite honestly felt like Eric has much more story opportunities that would be wasted having him die already) and shaving his beard with this psychotic grin obviously having plans for Eric shows yeah this is a nasty force the team is going to have to deal with who obviously has his own goals we'll learn about later.

So yeah solid build up of the fall out as we race towards the big finale. Obviously I'm expecting big dramatic reappearances of Xavier and Storm back into the team and seeing exactly what Bastion's deal is and what other fall out is going to occur so yeah great stuff hope the 3 parter lives up to the hype this generates.

ShadowStar

Well now, about Magneto and where they might be going with this...
Perhaps the Magneto in the first five episodes was a clone that was created by Mr. Sinister, sort of like Joseph (who was romantically involved with Rogue in the 90's comics)! So maybe "Magneto" did die on Genosha, because I'm not sure that I believe that the Magneto seen at the end of episode 7 was removed from the scene without anyone noticing. Now Bastion and Mr. Sinister can turn the real Magneto loose on the world. This makes my theory about Magneto going psycho and murdering Jean Grey (like he did near the end of Grant Morrison's run in the comics) seem all the more likely now...

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
"Bright Eyes" - So a weird concern I had was knowing this was going to be the last episode of the season before the three part finale that it was going to be another episode not really focusing that much on the whole aftermath in Genosha and was going to be like an episode focused in the future with Cable and Bishop. Probably because I've been a bit burnt before about arc shows that got TWO episodes in a row diverging from their main story to tell either side stories or have focuses on something else when there's a larger event to talk about. Thankfully this show didn't do that and is instead focused on the after math of what happened in Genosha and the X-Men trying to get answers about what's happening where yeah we have a lot of various different cogs moving with these different story lines. So should probably focus on them all one at a time... though starting with ones only worth a bit of focus.

Character Drama - I don't want to discredit these bits as they are important but also are only given a minimal amount of focus. For example Hank and Trish having a falling out due to her though trying to sound sympathetic also touching a nerve which yeah right after Genosha was very poor wording on her part I get why Hank would be upset at her. I do like Scott and Jean trying to clear up their complicated issues with Jean pointing out all their other various hardships and Scott saying every time Jean came back. That was a rather sweet moment if you know not surrounded by all the psychic screaming and heart ache going down. I also really liked Kurt's eulogy for Gambit and though using a lot of card analogies was phrasing it as Gambit didn't realize how great a guy he was due to his humility and the impact he left behind. I'm glad that though this is focused on a key X-Men and obviously the fall out of what happened we do get these character moments even seeing various other mutants helping try and clear out all the damage and finding Emma Frost survived due to her diamond powers that are now being revealed. Like at first I thought skipping a bit of time after what happened wouldn't work but honestly having this buffer and seeing the characters still reacting to this obvious massive tragedy actually does work well and really sink you in to what's happening here. And you know though there are a couple of barbs every now and then (mostly thrown by Morph noting how tacky the whole soda machine secret room bit is) it is really focused on the drama, even in the seemingly lighter plots. For example...

Roberto and Jubilee - I don't know how important this will be to the overall story but they did dedicate more then like 30 seconds/ a minute to this story in the episode so I thought it was worth talking about separately. I don't know if I said it before but the only new relationship I feel worked not based on any previous history within the series or this universe was with them because yeah this is young love so I can see it moving more forward with these sort of characters and honestly I do really like the talks the two have here. Like Roberto thinking this sort of event is even more reason to hide but Jubilee pointing out how horrifying it would be for his parents to find out he died if it was through something like this not knowing if there will be a war coming and them not even knowing who he is. Like that all flowed really well and showed a level of maturity and intrigued I don't think they ever got with Jubilee in the original series. And I also really liked the follow up with Roberto and his mom. At first I thought "okay it is amusing he wouldn't realize they would figure it out but they are acting a bit too rationally to finding out he's a mutant" but then his mom pointing out "okay you have to make sure no one else knows and we'll need to limit who you can even see to keep up our family's image" yeah made it feel real. Like X-2 tried having Bobby's family react to him being a mutant but that felt kind of forced but honestly this to me feels much more real; obviously loving and wanting to be there for their kid but also having this legacy and not wanting this sort of thing getting out which yeah is going to cause conflict later, but you get why and it makes sense within the rest of the narrative they are telling here.

Rouge's Rampage - I didn't see a clip but I did get spoiled last night knowing at least not all this episode would focus on the future when hearing a clip from this would but Rogue going on some sort of rampage. For some weird reason I thought "oh man did she snap and go back to more pure villain" which yeah in retrospect wouldn't work but I do actually really like the idea of her trying to figure out where Gyrich and Trask were. And yeah being more hardcore but not pure bloodthirsty. I really like her tearing through those military grunts and getting to Ross and then her interaction with of all characters Captain America. Which through me for a seocnd but then I remembered "oh yeah even in the original X-Men TAS there were the Avengers who cameod occassionally every now and then" though of course back then you wouldn't care as much because... yeah until the MCU no regular fan cared much about Avengers characters. I think some fans familiar with the MCU or even some of the comics may also find it weird how more strictly military "following the code" the Captain America is here as yeah that isn't the case for Chris Evan's take on the character but I totally buy it for this world and appreciate him trying to talk with Rogue but her not dealing with the red tape and then just throwing his shield away. I especially liked her then actually meeting up with Gyrich and absorbing all of his memories and draining him. Like I kind of thought "oooh wow they're going ot have her kill and drain him that is going really dark but in the right way" but I guess it was just to unconciousness which... kind of felt like a cheat but they made up for it later. First I really liked her reunion with Nightcrawler (I guess there did feel like a weird skip of her draining the info and then waking up seeing Kurt but ehhhh not that big a deal) and admitting how lousy a big sister she is before fully breaking down about Remy. Then her actually grabbing Trask and fine letting him fall when he didn't have any info. Now that is some "they are showing Rogue's darkness and grief well" I haven't felt since that scene of her in Evolution when she pushed stone Mystique to her seeming death. Granted technically Trask didn't die here from her but yeah the intent was there and that's what is most important.

Ending Battle/Villain Reveal - But of course Trask didn't die because he was turned into a new special kind of Sentienel and yeah that leads to a great battle between the rest of the team. It does show the menace of how powerful just one of these things are if it's flatlining everyone so quickly. I really dig Morph going Quicksilver and the hits not working and then Jean's psychic kind of energy flow DBZ esque battle in the sky before being slammed and then Trask only being taken out by a specific powered grenade weapon thrown by Cable. Who yeah finally reveals/they find out his lineage which I am glad is treated like a reveal I'm sure they'll talk about later but there's obviously more important things going on. Like Gyrich actually being murdered (rather darkly but in a good way) and the reveal that to those of you complaining "oh Mister Sinister was behind all this that's lame" finding out no he's not the master Mind it's instead a totally different villain Bastion who.... yeah I admit I haven't heard of before. Like I'm mostly a fan of X-Men through the films and Evolution and some other media but I'm not an expert at all like obviously the people behind this show so yeah I had to look up what this guy's done and who he is and... yeah I get why he can be considered like a arc villain even if he hadn't appeared in other media before. Honestly him talking about how the other baddies failed in the 90's or revealing magneto is alive (I am glad that was revealed and that yeah he is because quite honestly felt like Eric has much more story opportunities that would be wasted having him die already) and shaving his beard with this psychotic grin obviously having plans for Eric shows yeah this is a nasty force the team is going to have to deal with who obviously has his own goals we'll learn about later.

So yeah solid build up of the fall out as we race towards the big finale. Obviously I'm expecting big dramatic reappearances of Xavier and Storm back into the team and seeing exactly what Bastion's deal is and what other fall out is going to occur so yeah great stuff hope the 3 parter lives up to the hype this generates.

To be fair, this is Bastion's first appearance in animation, but he started appearing video games going back to 2002, in X-Men: The Next Dimension, he had a similar voice and mannerisms in that game to this show. He appeared in X-Men Legends 2, where he was far more emotional and X-Men Destiny, where he is similarly soft spoken and creepy. I feel like soft spoken and creepy is his default.

I won't reveal what Bastion's secret is, but the show alluded to it, saying he is an evolved version of a previous villain. I will say in the comics, Bastion is the most extreme of the Anti-mutant villains, he is both really sadistic and willing to treat humans as collateral damage in his war against mutants. He is both smart and ruthless.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Captain America cameo. Cool, but not unprecedented as he also had a guest appearance in the original cartoon. Don't know how many wider Marvel character appearances we'll get. Looks like next episode, we'll get to see the purple guy from Operation Zero Tolerance make his animated debut. Presumably he's this season's main behind the scene's villain. Let's see well the denouement of this season will go as it's been a good beginning.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I remember reading Operation Zero Tolerance as a kid. I think it came after Onslaught, and was when Carlos Pacheco was handling the art, after the Andy Kubert run ended. I loved Storm's look at that time. Wolverine was still running around with bone claws. Cannonball graduated to the X-Men, and Marrow, Maggot and Cecelia Reyes were around as well. I hated Bastion so much back then but I can't even remember all of the reasons why beside the obvious.

Frontier

Staff member
Opening update...actually none at all! Just re-arranging scenes pertinent to the episode. I was actually expecting them to use a scene from the episode where Logan and Cap teamed-up. They didn't even update the OP with Storm's new costume, but they might be saving that for when she rejoins the team o_O.

Dang, opening up straight with Gambit's funeral. The feels...though I did find it kind of amusing that the picture on his grave looked like a promo shot instead of a real picture. All the same, seeing Belladona and the Thieves Guild, and Kurt's eulogy, it hit hard. I miss you already Remy :crying:.

I guess it was too much to expect Senator Kelly to help and Scott is growing more and more frustrated with how little assistance or aid Mutants are getting from humans, let alone the government. I have to wonder if it'll just get worse from here :ack:.

Rogue going on a warpath trying to find Gyrich/Trask was a phenomenal action sequence, especially watching her tear through virtually everything the government threw at her without barely a scratch. She even did a Rider Kick :D!

I definitely did not expect to see Thunderbolt Ross show up and being quite politically-correct when it comes to Mutants (or people from the South), though it made Rogue making him squirm more satisfying ;).

So I guess Jean is dropping the ponytail in honor of Maddie. Are they going to change the intro to reflect that? Honestly maybe they realized Jean just looked too good with her hair down :rolleyes2:.

Honestly seeing the remains of Genosha and the emergency response (such as it its) felt so real and sad :(.

Oh hey, Strong Guy! Amelia Voght! Mimic (?)! Even threw in a Quicksilver appearance thanks to Morph :cool:.

I didn't expect to see them bring up Jubilee's adoptive parents (when was the last time they were ever mentioned?), but it connected to Roberto's problem with his own family. Coming out to your parents is hard, even with good emotional support, though comparatively his parents aren't bothered by him being a Mutant which is good...until you realize they don't want an out Mutant son effecting their company's business. Which assuming Roberto will become active as Sunspot, probably means more family drama :oops:.

Trish and Beast is a cute ship but it can't seem to overcome the tragedy of Genosha or Trish's racial bias :sad:

The moment they mentioned it was a "telepath" I knew it was going to be Emma having unlocked her diamond form like in the comics, but it made Scott's grief over Maddie's death hit even harder. I guess the good thing is it seems like maybe things are improving between him and Jean...though now Emma is around, so better watch out there! They kept her alive so obviously the show has plans for her o_O.

Oh, so they did fit in a "Mutant Massacre" name drop, fitting considering Sinisters' involvement :mad:.

So they had Ross and Captain America voiced by their What If VA's. Is that going to be standing practice moving forward? Like the What If VA's are de-facto voices across multiple shows? Does that mean if Spider-Man shows up he's going to be voiced by Hudson Thames doing a bad Christopher Daniel Barnes impersonation :p?

When you keep seeing them talk about what "OZT" stands for and you're just waiting for someone to say "Operation Zero Tolerance" :p.

Captain America, in the flesh! Voiced by Josh Keaton instead of either Lawrence Bayne or David Hayter. How did he escape being trapped with the Red Skull? We may never know! But it is cool to see Keaton get to voice a fully-fledged Cap for once without any "What If" caveat. He takes the attack on Genosha completely seriously and is trying to investigate it on his own, and he understands humanity's culpability in what happened, but because this is an X-Men show he can't do anything more but talk about "optics" and "doing things by the book" so he can't really help much. Kind of rude to throw his shield so far away, but I get why Rogue was angry. Really curious about who exactly his "team" was :confused:.

Nightcrawler comforting his sister and letting her finally grieve Gambit was a really powerful scene. Poor Rogue :(.

There's something to be said about Bastion's proper debut involving him smothering Gyrich to death. A "villain from '92" losing his life to a '97 villain by way of a '92 villain (Nimrod) :evil:.

Even the X-Men can get the awkward elevator scene! Morph is a riot :anime:!

Oh, NOW Trask realizes things have gone too far after the Genosha massacre. I guess it really puts things into perspective when you have a basic genocide at the hands of things YOU helped create, even if it was the inevitable path for the Sentinals. And now they're getting upgraded :eek:.

Dang, Rogue just straight up dropped a dude to his death! That's hardcore! But wait, couldn't Nightcrawler have 'ported him away or Jean grabbedh him with her telekinesis? Maybe I'm not taking into account they might've been shocked or how fast Trask was falling for dramatic effect. Of course Logan was in full approval :rolleyes2:..

Of course even if it felt cathartic at the time killing Trask just activated him as a Prime Sentinel...who proceeds to solo the entire X-Men team. That's right, BOLIVAR TRASK SOLOED AN X-MEN TEAM :eek:!

(I have to imagine Sinister programmed the thing to call Scott "orphan")

Cable! Here to save the past from what I assume is a future dominated by Bastion and his Prime Sentinels! He also seemed genuinely disappointed Scott didn't realize he was his son like Maddie did. And ironically considering in the comics he views Jean as more of a mother than he does Maddie, here he seems to basically reject or is uncomfortable around Jean for not being his mother :oops:.

Bastion voiced by Theo James! He's very affable and charming for someone looking to wipe out an entire race of people. But it seems like he's also planning to reveal the X-Men lied about Xavier's death...to make it look like they carried out a cover-up to garner sympathy? And what is his plan with a very much alive Magneto? Use him as a way of inciting further war between Mutants and Humans :ack:?

Ed Nygma

For the episode itself, I thought it was okay, but I'm slowly realizing that for myself episode 5 was an anomaly and the show is for the most part not quite for me. Wasn't it Grayson Creed that shot Xavier in 'Graduation Day' and they mistakenly called him Gyrich? He didn't have his shades and it makes no sense for his character. The M Butterfly music reminded me waaaay too much of White Lotus season 2, which used it much better imo. I don't think Rogue would do what she did at the end of the ep, and her screaming "he took mah maaaaaaan!!!" was unintentionally hilarious. I think Theo James is a poor fit for Bastion, who I assumed was a 50 year old man. His voice is cool but it sounds very young, and would be more suited to Cable. Is Madelyn dead?? I remain confused for the last two episodes. And why is Xavier taking so long to get back to Earth? Hopefully this'll all tie up nicely, though I would've preferred Cassandra Nova or 'Poc over Basty. Never really got in to Operation Zero Tolerance, which I always get mixed up with Tower of Babel in DC. Not every hero needs to be a paranoid schemer with 'contingency' plans; there's only so many hours in a day!
Since Xavier is most likely returning to Earth in that Shi'ar suit, I'm a bit worried that
they might adapt "Planet X", by having a highly aggressive and very bloodthirsty Magneto (who's angry about the Genoshan massacre) fight with the X-Men and ultimately kill Jean Grey, which would in turn lead to an outraged Xavier (in a Shi'ar suit) wiping Magneto's mind, like he did in "Fatal Attractions". (After all, Magneto is probably alive, while Gambit is dead.) Then we would get Onslaught. I'm all for "Fatal Attractions" and Onslaught being adapted, but I'm concerned that the ongoing Jean/Scott drama in this show is going to result in Jean's death (like it did in "Planet X"), and I would hate that. I'm aware that Magneto targeted Wolverine -- not Jean -- in "Fatal Attractions" (right before Xavier wiped his mind), but Jean has a bigger role in this show than Logan, so I'm concerned that she might be the one who gets hurt by Magneto.
Planet X was one of my all time favorite stories- the Morrison run is my fave XM arc of all time- so I would be totally down for this. I appreciate that some people love Maggy to be a freedom fighter, but remember that he's supposed to be the X-Men's arch nemesis, and taking him forever off the table of the baddies limits his usage. No one argues Dr. Doom is reformed so he should never face the FF; a good villain is a good villain. I myself see him a bit differently, along the lines of how Morrison and the Ian McKellen films do. He portends to have a lofty point, but he's a self serving sadist who likes to dish it out to another group to alleviate his own pain. "Normal' people do this all the time online and justify it!
Well now, about Magneto and where they might be going with this...
Perhaps the Magneto in the first five episodes was a clone that was created by Mr. Sinister, sort of like Joseph (who was romantically involved with Rogue in the 90's comics)! So maybe "Magneto" did die on Genosha, because I'm not sure that I believe that the Magneto seen at the end of episode 7 was removed from the scene without anyone noticing. Now Bastion and Mr. Sinister can turn the real Magneto loose on the world. This makes my theory about Magneto going psycho and murdering Jean Grey (like he did near the end of Grant Morrison's run in the comics) seem all the more likely now...
I kind of thought that but at the same time don't feel the creators will go in that direction, since so many people are sensitive about the "real" Magneto being a good, decent person. I think it'd be fine to have him do a heel turn and his true nature come out; I think people are capable of being both good and bad at the same time depending on the circumstances so I'd find that refreshing.
Captain America cameo. Cool, but not unprecedented as he also had a guest appearance in the original cartoon. Don't know how many wider Marvel character appearances we'll get. Looks like next episode, we'll get to see the purple guy from Operation Zero Tolerance make his animated debut. Presumably he's this season's main behind the scene's villain. Let's see well the denouement of this season will go as it's been a good beginning.
I was upset because it contradicts that the Marvel Animation Age Universe (or whatever) established in Spidey TAS that he's still off in limbo with the Red Skull and Electro. But then, I guess this show is not really in the same multiverse due to how adult it's become. It's sort of off in its own space using the same continuity but not a part of it, like Batman & Harley Quinn. If someone accepts that as part of the DCAU, I want them to also accept Brainiac Attacks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Graydon Creed was last seen being dumped by the Friends Of Humanity at the feet of his father Sabretooth in the Bloodlines episode. The design was off in the original episode but it was Gyrich that zapped Xavier in Graduation Day.

The Marvel shows always had contradictions with each other, although Spider-Man seemed to more than the others (for reasons). With Cap running around in three of the shows, while Spider-Man was the only one that wanted to stuff him into limbo wrestling Red Skull forever, it's my head-canon that he wasn't put back there after Secret Wars.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Some random "Bright Eyes" comments...

Captain America was a nice guest-star. Didn't do as much but the scene kind of felt like the confrontation between him and Iron Man during "Armor Wars". I do hope we see him again, and perhaps some members of his team or other Avengers if a war between humans and mutants is really heating up. Speaking of which, I wonder if his team is the Kooky Quartet and Quicksilver's cameo was foreshadowing that.

Bastion's introduction was handled well and there's still some mystery surrounding him, so I'm guessing more will be raveled in the next episodes. I thought Bastion had a cameo in the finale of X-Men Evolution during the flash-forward scenes but it seems that was Nimrod.

There were some surprises in there, like Gyrich's and Magnetos' fates (well, the latter wasn't that surprising but still made for a good cliff-hanger scene). Overall the episode had a pretty good balance between the drama, action, suspense and comedy (like Bastion pointing out Sinister has been trying to defeat the X-Men since '92). I liked seeing Scott & Jean on better terms, too.

The sub-plot with Roberto was decent though I am still hoping he'll take on a code-name by the end of the season and they don't drag this out until season 2 or whenever. I also missed Storm here, though I expect her and Xavier to be here next time.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

Bastion's introduction was handled well and there's still some mystery surrounding him, so I'm guessing more will be raveled in the next episodes. I thought Bastion had a cameo in the finale of X-Men Evolution during the flash-forward scenes but it seems that was Nimrod.
Those looked like Prime Sentinels, if I recall correctly, so I understand why you would think of Bastion.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It does seem like the 90s animated universe of sorts had looser continuity than DC's if Avengers: United They Stand is in the same continuity with 90s X-Men and Spider-Man. Don't know if we'll get an explanation over how Cap escaped the limbo dimension he got trapped into in Spider-Man. Would be cool if Spidey appeared and came back from Counter-Earth, but non X-Men will probably be cameos. We got Morph morphing into Quicksilver, which is another kinda Avengers cameo.

dmxx116

It does seem like the 90s animated universe of sorts had looser continuity than DC's if Avengers: United They Stand is in the same continuity with 90s X-Men and Spider-Man. Don't know if we'll get an explanation over how Cap escaped the limbo dimension he got trapped into in Spider-Man. Would be cool if Spidey appeared and came back from Counter-Earth, but non X-Men will probably be cameos. We got Morph morphing into Quicksilver, which is another kinda Avengers cameo.
Avengers: United They Stand, Spider-Man Unlimited and Silver Surfer are not canon to the first five 90s Animated shows they just don’t fit.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
One thing I liked about Cap's design was that it reminded me of both the X-Men and Spider-Man designs, depending on the light he was in.

Bright Eyes Cap.jpg

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
My weekly review is now up on the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com.

x9708f.jpg

X-Men ’97: “Bright Eyes” Episode Recap

Previously, on X-Men! Sentinels attack Genosha and massacre most of its inhabitants. Xavier senses the danger on Earth and decides to return. Storm regains her powers.

“Bright Eyes” focuses on the aftermath of the Sentinel attack on Genosha and how the event affected the X-Men and the rest of the world. It’s a pretty good mix of drama and action, perhaps a bit better or at least not as depressing as the entry from two weeks ago. It also features a special guest-star (though only for a couple of scenes) and introduces a new villain who makes a good first impression, as far as villains go. You can tell he’s going to be nothing but trouble.

Click here to read the full article.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.

Featured Posts