"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 28 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, there was a huge push for crowdfunding the season back in 2013. This will end up being cheaper for people than that would've been. I am more than happy to pay a subscription to watch one of my favorite shows with more creative freedom than before. Do we have any figures on how much YJ costs to produce?
I remember the one season of GL:TAS cost $20 million, so maybe traditionally animated like YJ is around $10 million for a 26 episode season.

CyberCubed

I doubt the whole season will drop at once. You'll have the majority of people get a free trial/buy one month of membership, binge it all, and then cancel.

I actually would like to see the first 13 episodes released at once, and then hold over the last 13 eps of the season for a later time. Granted this makes sense too, not all 26 episodes will be completely done by the time this season airs, so they can save the last half of the season for a later time giving them more times to produce/animate/write/etc. the episodes.

I think people still get nightmares of the long rerun breaks CN used to to do with Young Justice where they'd air like 5 episodes and go on a 4 month rerun break or more out of nowhere. Half the time I forgot what was even happening in the show by the time new eps came back. And for a continuity heavy show like Young Justice where almost every episode is continued, this is a bad thing.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
The thing about piracy is that it all goes back to availability the reason Game of Thrones is the #1 pirated show in the world is because it's hard to get HBO in certain countries. The last season had issues because Cartoon Network's scheduling is run by a bunch of morons.

W.C.Reaf

Yeah, there was a huge push for crowdfunding the season back in 2013. This will end up being cheaper for people than that would've been. I am more than happy to pay a subscription to watch one of my favorite shows with more creative freedom than before. Do we have any figures on how much YJ costs to produce?

I believe Greg Weisman said on twitter that it cost $13 million a season.

I doubt the whole season will drop at once. You'll have the majority of people get a free trial/buy one month of membership, binge it all, and then cancel.

The way Netflix did it with Voltron was to release it in 13 episode blocks, so there's less wait time between new episodes. They are changing it up even more with 7 episodes dropping in August and then another 6 in October, as a way to keep new episodes coming out sooner. So even Netflix hasn't sussed out a good way to drop new animated episodes.

My one big worry about this new digital service is if it'll be an international service. Some of these streaming services are just North America only, which cuts off a lot of international fans from being able to watch these new shows. Plus there's lots of DC shows that aren't available for streaming or to buy on DVD in the UK that I'd like to be able to watch again.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Hopefully within the first few months they more than make back their money and we get a season 4 announced.

I think a good system of distribution would be two episodes a week. It's enough content to hold people over and enough breathing room for discussion and speculation

CyberCubed

How much money would they have to make not only to make back the production costs of Season 3, but also greenlit a Season 4?

I imagine $50 million?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I believe Greg Weisman said on twitter that it cost $13 million a season.

The way Netflix did it with Voltron was to release it in 13 episode blocks, so there's less wait time between new episodes. They are changing it up even more with 7 episodes dropping in August and then another 6 in October, as a way to keep new episodes coming out sooner. So even Netflix hasn't sussed out a good way to drop new animated episodes.

My one big worry about this new digital service is if it'll be an international service. Some of these streaming services are just North America only, which cuts off a lot of international fans from being able to watch these new shows. Plus there's lots of DC shows that aren't available for streaming or to buy on DVD in the UK that I'd like to be able to watch again.
It won't be an international service. That's a given. Neither is the Boomerang service or CW Seed. Warner Bros hates us :D I would love to pay for this, but I won't even be able to.

I really hope Cartoon Network EMEA will pick this up. Otherwise it will be another Vixen.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
I remember the one season of GL:TAS cost $20 million, so maybe traditionally animated like YJ is around $10 million for a 26 episode season.
Traditionally animated is usually more expensive, like how sprites are much more expensive than 3D models for games.

Otaku-sempai

How much money would they have to make not only to make back the production costs of Season 3, but also greenlit a Season 4?

I imagine $50 million?
I doubt the issue is that straightforward; there are probably a number of factors to be considered. Subscribers are going to be paying for the service, not directly for the program. Other considerations might be licensing, viewing habits, streaming numbers, demographics, and other factors that I have not even considered.

It won't be an international service. That's a given. Neither is the Boomerang service or CW Seed. Warner Bros hates us :D I would love to pay for this, but I won't even be able to.

I really hope Cartoon Network EMEA will pick this up. Otherwise it will be another Vixen.
Perhaps the show will become available in foreign markets on other platforms.

Frontier

Staff member
It'll be interesting to see what kind of mentor/protege dynamics we see form this season, particularly with the new members :).

It would be pretty cool to see Batgirl mentor Spoiler like Nightwing mentored Robin in season 2, especially given Babs and Steph's relationship in the comics. Maybe Batgirl is the one who brought Stephanie into the fold ;)?

Maybe we could see Zatanna mentor Traci as a fellow magic hero? It could be a nice way to bring Zee back into the fold :anime:.

Arrowette's possible relationship with Artemis and Red Arrow has already been brought up, but should be interesting to watch play out :cool:.

Otaku-sempai

I wonder if we might see the subplot introduced from the comics continuity of
Stephanie as a teen-aged, unwed mother who ultimately gives her child up for adoption.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
On the all black stealth suits, Bourassa did give a small hint
Well, we can’t talk too much getting about plot stuff but if you look at the art that we showed you’ll notice there’s no hero insignias. There’s no telltale signs of, ‘This is Nightwing. This is Black Lightning,’ that sort of thing. Following the tradition of the sort of covert ops aspect, the stealth missions that we’ve always had in the show, and looking at Dick Grayson’s arc and where we left him, where he’s like, ‘I don’t want to do this superhero thing,’ so then you can kind of see where that’s going.

It would be pretty cool to see Batgirl mentor Spoiler like Nightwing mentored Robin in season 2, especially given Babs and Steph's relationship in the comics. Maybe Batgirl is the one who brought Stephanie into the fold ;)?
Cool idea. I was hoping Spoiler would be a protege of Black Canary. I believe that was so in the comics along with Batman.

Frontier

Staff member
On the all black stealth suits, Bourassa did give a small hint
Was that the direction of his arc? I thought it was that he didn't think he was cut out for the covert ops stuff and the compartmentalizing that it requires :sweat:.

Cool idea. I was hoping Spoiler would be a protege of Black Canary. I believe that was so in the comics along with Batman.
I dont' think she's ever actually met Black Canary in the comics, that I can recall, at least on a mentor level. Even when she was Batgirl...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was that the direction of his arc? I thought it was that he didn't think he was cut out for the covert ops stuff and the compartmentalizing that it requires :sweat:.
Or being a leader yet.

I dont' think she's ever actually met Black Canary in the comics, that I can recall, at least on a mentor level. Even when she was Batgirl...
May have been super brief in a Birds of Prey comic.

Marvelman02

A while ago, I visited the DC updates page for this new streaming service. The page asked me to confirm that I was a resident of the United States which I'm not. (I'm in Canada.) Do you think this means that the service will only be available in the United States? Or, am I reading too much into this?

update: This is the site: https://pub.s6.exacttarget.com/3n2ilaj5d1a. Thanks, Yojimbo!

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I don't know which page you mean.

None of Turner's streaming services is available outside North America. It would be a miracle if this one would. I don't know about Canada... Apparently CW Seed used to work there but not anymore? And Boomerang's streaming service never worked there at all.

I suppose we're on the same boat, you and I ;)

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't know which page you mean.
The DC Fans Update site that appeared around the time of the Outsiders announcement. It's an email sign up to get updates on the DC Digital Service.

EDIT 8/6: Nothing new but a better summary of Q&A with Weisman, Vietti and Bourassa, with quotes, of them talking about Arrowette, Spoiler, and Thirteen and confirming the core team will still be around.

8/14: DC All Access will feature Young Justice this week. Should be at least recaps from SDCC.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
"I'm not saying they're the only new members"

I'm assuming the three revealed will be on our starting roster and as the season progresses we'll see new people ala Zatanna and Impulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Featured Posts