"Marvel Studios' Fantastic Four" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I don't really have ideas for the rest of the F4 to be honest and can't think of other actors at the moment either. I recall picking the cast for a potential live-action Jonny Quest movie over a decade ago and thinking how they could kind of match the F4 too, but can't remember what names I came up with. I think I had Daniel Craig as Race Bannon (so technically he would be Ben Grimm here, though I probably not the best choice for the role). This was around the time Craig started out as James Bond, I think.

the greenman

I don't really have ideas for the rest of the F4 to be honest and can't think of other actors at the moment either. I recall picking the cast for a potential live-action Jonny Quest movie over a decade ago and thinking how they could kind of match the F4 too, but can't remember what names I came up with. I think I had Daniel Craig as Race Bannon (so technically he would be Ben Grimm here, though I probably not the best choice for the role). This was around the time Craig started out as James Bond, I think.
Honestly, that is an interesting choice, as he does kinda fit ol Blue-eyed Ben a little. But as much as he can pull off a Southern accent, he needs to be able to pull off a Brooklyn accent. Being Jewish would help, but if we're never going to see his Human form, then it won't matter.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

the greenman

I believe both Krasinki & Blunt met with Marvel already. Probably getting info on what it would entail as in plot and contracts. By the time we hear "in talks", means both made a decision but still actually talking it out with agents and such. We won't know until Marvel reveals the truth of who will play the couple. I have a very sinking suspicion Marvel might go the route of having an established family with the Richards kids.

Though, I would be dismayed & disappointed by that, but if Blunt wants something different that would be a selling point. A mother and superheroine much like a live action Elasti-girl.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I agree with Blunt 100% there are not many paths you can go with Sue Storm that hasn't already been done. Scientist wife has already been done with Janet Van Dyne and Hope. Kind of sparky over confident woman is Carol.

The issue is I do not see Jon Watts wanting to go in this direction since he seems to have a preference towards coming of age movies.

the greenman

I agree with Blunt 100% there are not many paths you can go with Sue Storm that hasn't already been done. Scientist wife has already been done with Janet Van Dyne and Hope. Kind of sparky over confident woman is Carol.

The issue is I do not see Jon Watts wanting to go in this direction since he seems to have a preference towards coming of age movies.
I don't know Watts from anything else but these MCU Spider-man films. So, it's a situation where we are kinda left in the dark. He is in good standing with both Sony and Disney, and delivered big films. Watts was on no one's radar, so it seems like just a safe choice.

Not to derail thread, with Holland's contract up, and this situation, it did create buzz when FF was announced with Watts helming this. Though we didn't know what Holland's contract was just yet. So the buzz is Watts may not be returning to Spider-man or even Watts is just a placement to see if he'll fit. Though it hasn't happened in MCU management (where one director gets replaced) in years, who knows.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
That's just some barebones trivia. Hope's identity is defined most by her father, the absence of her mother, and trying to grasp Lang's competency as her father's successor. Carol is defined most...by getting her repressed life back together and overcoming some brainwashing.

Sue is something most Marvel women thus far aren't; the older sister and a surrogate mother to an adrenaline junkie + being nurturing in general to any "storm." Whatever other traits and professions they want to add to that should compound those core attributes prior to and even after becoming Mrs. Richards.

Last edited:

the greenman

That's just some barebones trivia. Janet'sidentity is defined most by her father, the absence of her mother, and trying to grasp Lang's competency as her father's successor. Carol is defined most...by getting her repressed life back together and overcoming some brainwashing.

Sue is something most Marvel women thus far aren't; the older sister and a surrogate mother to an adrenaline junkie + being nurturing in general to any "storm." Whatever other traits and professions they want to add to that should compound those core attributes prior to and even after becoming Mrs. Richards.

Think you mean Hope.

As for Sue, she is all that and then some. However, we don't know how Feige is going to build this take. I hope he doesn't experiment with race bending characters. I mean with the Four, I do not care about an Alicia Masters ancillary type character.

the greenman

Why is it important for the Storms and/or Richards to be white? Ben is a rock monster.
Not to derail the thread, but simply to respect Stan & Jack's vision. I do not personally care on different takes on characters, so long as they make some kind of sense. Taking characters changing race just because is not right. Being WOKE is not an excuse to alter visions for the heck of it. If you do change the characters, then the entire world behind it would have to alter as well.

Now if the Richards were African American, okay, then would they have experienced pushback in their time coming up in the industry. Or if they're Asian American what would their experiences be? In other words, alter a characters culture, standby for controversy of some form. As opposed to leaving it alone so we can just enjoy it for what is. Ben (and co-creator Jack Kirby) was a Jew and it's been said Thing is a kinda caricature of him down to the Brooklynite attitude. Maybe that's just me. I just don't know the reason for changing established characters for race relations.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
The only problem with making Reed black would make him too much like Blue Marvel but that's only if they bring up the subject of race like the did with Blue Marvel.

But it would be nice to see more interracial couple in media.

the greenman

The only problem with making Reed black would make him too much like Blue Marvel but that's only if they bring up the subject of race like the did with Blue Marvel.

But it would be nice to see more interracial couple in media.

To end this facet of the thread, I agree with last statement. There is T'Challa and Ororo. It's all in the writing.

Also, yes you had guys like Blue Marvel, Isaiah Bradley, Falcon, and Black Goliath, who predated a hypothetical black Reed Richards. I doubt Feige will mess with these characters specifically to honor Stan. He never got to see his characters done somewhat properly done. Though we certainly got close.

reflection01

Not to derail the thread, but simply to respect Stan & Jack's vision. I do not personally care on different takes on characters, so long as they make some kind of sense. Taking characters changing race just because is not right. Being WOKE is not an excuse to alter visions for the heck of it. If you do change the characters, then the entire world behind it would have to alter as well.

Now if the Richards were African American, okay, then would they have experienced pushback in their time coming up in the industry. Or if they're Asian American what would their experiences be? In other words, alter a characters culture, standby for controversy of some form. As opposed to leaving it alone so we can just enjoy it for what is. Ben (and co-creator Jack Kirby) was a Jew and it's been said Thing is a kinda caricature of him down to the Brooklynite attitude. Maybe that's just me. I just don't know the reason for changing established characters for race relations.

Marvel had all white heroes when Stan and Jack created FF. When they finally created a Black character they could even make him American?

Why would you have to respect a 1961 vision in 2021?

This is the third iteration of FF in two decades. The MCU may chose to change up the characters in some way to better fit the established universe. A Black or Asian or Hispanic or whatever Reed and Sue in 2021 would have a different struggle than in 1961 when heroes had to be white to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Freddy

Most of the Silver Age superheroes were white, because the publishers wouldn't have allowed otherwise, not for some grand artistic vision. Not to mention, Stan was generally very supportive of characters created by him being updated for the modern times. Iceman being a closeted homosexual certainly wasn't his vision back in the day, but he gave that retcon his public blessing nevertheless.

Besides, the movies have done plenty of story choices that certainly were not part the original vision. Not a very good look for you to make actors skin color the step too far.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Most of the Silver Age superheroes were white, because the publishers wouldn't have allowed otherwise, not for some grand artistic vision. Not to mention, Stan was generally very supportive of characters created by him being updated for the modern times. Iceman being a closeted homosexual certainly wasn't his vision back in the day, but he gave that retcon his public blessing nevertheless.
This is true.
Besides, the movies have done plenty of story choices that certainly were not part the original vision. Not a very good look for you to make actors skin color the step too far.
I don't agree with Greenman here but he's a good guy. Good looks or not. ;)

Edit:

Seriously, Greenman, I love you, man. People can disagree. Even when you are totally wrong. :p

Last edited:

the greenman

I will say this and end the rabbit trail, because we are WAY off topic.

I simply respect creators for whatever they created in it's time. Yes, most of these guys were Jewish (which brings up a whole other conversation) or Caucasian. FF was created in 1961, and yes the country was extremely bigoted and the few that were not didn't exactly stick there neck out too far. We had Communists and racists. Not everyone was Gene Roddenberry who took chances (though Star Trek was 1966, during the Civil Rights movement). I simply do not believe in trying to HIDE fact by any means. Calling it modernist, or with the times is still falsifying truth, no matter what.

You can call me old fashioned, but I am not, just want to preserve whatever was as it is. Call me a hypocrite, but for me there are two versions of Wizard of Oz in film. One was the Garland 30s version, and the other was The Wiz in the 70s. Neither is based on L. Frank Baum's, just inspired. Which do I prefer. I accept both. Just like I accept all versions of Fantastic Four in film. I accept them for what they did with the production. That's all.

Any response PM, cause mods might erase posts for now.

reflection01

I don’t see this as politics as much as the history of the original source material for the film.

Some of the Marvel docs on Disney+ even explain that the colorists didn’t even know how to illustrate characters who weren’t white back then. They had to learn.

The big challenge I see for FF is not doing an origin story while fitting them into the MCU. Given how they’ve done things so far, I don’t think they’ll introduce the FF in a prior film or Disney+ show. I also don’t think they’ll introduce Doom before hand or as the main villain in FF1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts