Unpopular Opinions

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I feel like the Spy Kids films were ahead of their time.
That aside I don't think Extreme really ties in with the continuity of the first two? It follows on from Real Ghostbusters.
To be fair, the animated shows are considered broad strokes canon to the first two films after all.
The game was nice but it would be nice to think an actual third film with the original cast would have been less of a retread of the first. Probably wishful thinking though. It also didn't tie in that well with the earlier films in places, kind of following worldbuilding and logic more along the lines of the cartoons.
It is actually worth knowing that the video game is based on one of the scrapped ideas for Ghostbusters III.

Classic Speedy

Alllllll righty then
Staff member
Reporter
Yeah that's not an unpopular opinion. Linus on the previous page in the thread said Home Alone 3 wasn't that bad- now that is an unpopular opinion. (though Linus is not alone- Roger Ebert gave the third movie a thumbs up but disliked the first two)

EDIT: Speaking of Ebert, if he were still alive he'd probably disagree with me, but I enjoy his voice after his vocal chord surgery (~2004-2006). For some reason it made his quips funnier.

Last edited:

SpaceCowboy

Many comparisons have been made between Black Swan (2010) and Perfect Blue (1998) as if Darren Aronofsky cribbed from Satoshi Kon, but I think he improved upon the source material.

Nina's paranoia in Black Swan comes off as a lot more scary than Mimi's in Perfect Blue, because it's told from the main character's perspective instead of from a third person. She also goes through more character development due to her metamorphosis, whereas Mimi just goes through a realization of her environment. The chemistry Nina has with her dance rival (played by Mila Kunis) is also more interesting than Mimi's with her manager.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm not really interested in the NFT stuff at all. I just don't see the point for it at all.
Is that an unpopular opinion? As far as I know Home Alone 3, 4, 5, whatever only got attention when released, then were forgotten after their advertisements stopped.
Yeah that's not an unpopular opinion. Linus on the previous page in the thread said Home Alone 3 wasn't that bad- now that is an unpopular opinion. (though Linus is not alone- Roger Ebert gave the third movie a thumbs up but disliked the first two)
Fair enough on both.

Mandouga

“Watershed”/“safe harbor” blocks on family networks are overrated, not to mention unnecessary, obnoxious, ignorant, hypocritical, arbitrary, patronizing, self-serving, and self-congratulatory (among other things). Maybe some of us do need to be in bed by certain times, but, if anything, that’s up to the parents to decide, not something for the family networks to enforce. Each family has it’s own way of dealing with bedtime, and things like be unable to sleep for whatever reason. In some ways, this is a way of trying to tell viewers what to think, no matter how old they are, let alone whether or not they may or may not be parents. This sort of thing really needs to stop. Family networks need to just be family networks. Catering to just parents at certain times of the day isn’t fair to anyone, let alone the “target audience” (to put it one way). It’s just unfortunate that it took 3 years for the Nick. Jr. channel to finally get the hint (NickMom started in 2012, and was finally discontinued in 2015)…

Oh, and for the record, “Nick @ Nite” doesn’t count despite the current shows it has now, since it historically (repeat: “historically”) started out showing reruns of older sitcoms from back in the day; older family sitcoms. It’s actually a long story, but suffice it to say, that’s the general idea of what N@N was originally about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
“Watershed”/“safe harbor” blocks on family networks are overrated, not to mention unnecessary, obnoxious, ignorant, hypocritical, arbitrary, patronizing, self-serving, and self-congratulatory (among other things). Maybe some of us do need to be in bed by certain times, but, if anything, that’s up to the parents to decide, not something for the family networks to enforce.
There's a word for a parent who let's their child stay up all night controlling what's being watched on TV: irresponsible.

Each family has it’s own way of dealing with bedtime, and things like be unable to sleep for whatever reason. In some ways, this is a way of trying to tell viewers what to think, no matter how old they are, let alone whether or not they may or may not be parents. This sort of thing really needs to stop.
Please refer to my previous statement. Also, if you dislike these "watershed/safe harbor blocks", as you call them so much, there's a simple solution for that: watch something else.

Family networks need to just be family networks.
Family =/= kids only. Outside of cheesy sitcoms, I don't know of any "family" that consists of children raising themselves with no adults. Last time I checked, adults were part of the family, and most adults that I know don't like to watch kid's shows unless it's with their kids. I do however, think that it may not be recommended to put the word "Family" in your channel's name, since most channels that do this tend to not last very long for some reason.
Catering to just parents at certain times of the day isn’t fair to anyone, let alone the “target audience” (to put it one way). It’s just unfortunate that it took 3 years for the Nick. Jr. channel to finally get the hint (NickMom started in 2012, and was finally discontinued in 2015)…
You're trying to frame this as some sort of moral issue, when it's not. It's business, not personal. The target audience for kid-vid isn't awake at night, therefore, running programming catered exclusively for them would be waste of money and wouldn't garner the desired ratings. Sure, there are some adults who may want to watch kiddie shows late at night, for reasons of nostalgia or whatever, but that audience to too niche and isn't large enough to justify keeping such a thing going.

And seriously, stop picking on NickMom. What did that program block ever do to you? It's gone now and it can't hurt you anymore. :D
Oh, and for the record, “Nick @ Nite” doesn’t count despite the current shows it has now, since it historically (repeat: “historically”) started out showing reruns of older sitcoms from back in the day; older family sitcoms. It’s actually a long story, but suffice it to say, that’s the general idea of what N@N was originally about.
The key word there being "was". Nick at Nite also used to show reruns of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, The Best of Saturday Night, SCTV, Fernwood/America 2 Nite, Route 66, I-Spy and Dragnet, in what alternate reality are these considered to be "family sitcoms"? Now, N@N is just following the money. If ViacomCBS wants to cater to the 50s-80s nostalgia crowd, they should launch a TV Land streaming service, or make TV Land a window on Paramount+, if the service doesn't have that already. I don't have Paramount+, so I wouldn't know

Last edited:

Streaker Prower

Victory Star Productions
I think The Family Channel should’ve been bought by Viacom (which would rename to The Family Channel: Powered By Nickelodeon) instead of Fox

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts