"Scooby-Doo" Direct-to-Video Animated Features News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

wiley207

Another idea I'd like to see done is an animated "Pup Named Scooby-Doo" direct-to-video movie. They already had a puppet movie based on that show eleven years ago with "Scooby-Doo Adventures: The Mystery Map", and it was pretty fun, but I'd like to see them actually revive the animated versions of the gang, and work in the classic running gags such as the crazy wild takes, Scooby's reech imrediment ("No, speech impediment!"), Daphne's butler Jenkins, Scooby reacting to eating Scooby Snacks ala Quick Draw's dog Snuffles, the gang reacting to Velma's saying "Jinkies!" when finding a clue, Freddy's crazy conspiracy theories, and of course Red Herring!
I dunno if Frank Welker could nowadays pull off voicing the young Scooby, but I'm sure Scott Innes would do it pretty well. And I'd also have Jason Marsden voice young Freddy (as his voice range is very similar to the late Carl Steven in the original show's final season) and either Mindy Cohn or Kate Micucci as young Velma, along with Kellie Martin reprising the role of young Daphne and Scott Menville reprising Red Herring (it especially helps that their voices barely changed since the early 1990s). And they could also get John Debney to do the music and songs, maybe even get Glen Kennedy back to supervise the animation! (Snipple Animation would probably be the best at adapting to his style of all the overseas animation subcontractors WB Animation currently uses.)
Also, "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" was what introduced traits carried over to subsequent revivals/reboots, like Fred being a scatterbrained airhead (most notably in "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" and Season 1 of "Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated"), Daphne being wealthy and vain and fashion-conscious (except in "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo"), and the frequent use of the "meddling kids" line (prior to the "Pup" series, only a handful of villains said it, while this show made it a regular element of the franchise, even though the villains typically said it as "pesky kids"). As for trends and technologies, the original show had Daphne using a flip-style cell phone (and being the only member of the gang to have one, since she was rich), and Velma pulling out a big boxy UNIVAC-style computer from her case to type data into it (I can picture Shaggy asking Velma "Like, why don't you just get a laptop/tablet?" when she pulls it out).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Again thanks to Warner Archive, Scooby on Zombie Island and Return to Zombie Island will be released on Blu-Ray April 30.

Makes some sense to lump these together since the latter is supposed to be a sequel (though I didn't find it that well made). Kind of expected them to make a Blu-Ray collection for the first few movies instead, but whatever.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The 60th anniversary of Dark Shadows, to which WB holds the remake rights, is in two years.

The occasion should be marked with a DTV Scooby-Doo/Dark Shadows crossover movie.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts