“Checkered Past” News & Discussion

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
I looked into whether the creator of Final Space had any success post-write off. Surprisingly, the creator said a year ago that WB gave him permission to self publish a comic conclusion, though it seems it has not yet been released. It is interesting that he had to go through a negotiation process to release this, since it seemed like the series had been written off. Possibly the write off pertained only to individual episodes of the show, which are gone from Max and AS, while WB still has ownership over the IP and characters.

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
Tomorrow Billy and Mandy returns to Checkered Past, replacing Courage the Cowardly Dog. Then Ed Edd n Eddy is returning to Monday-Thursday in 15 days, replacing Dexter’s Laboratory. The first episode Ed Edd n Eddy will air upon its return to weekdays is the previously banned/skipped episode “I Am Curious Ed”/“No Speak da Ed”.

Last edited:

Santana434

Samurai Jack will be debuting on CKP starting on 5/10, airing at 5pm hour
Wow, I didn’t expect an action show to joint on CKP’s lineup. But samurai jack is a classic, plus it did fitted better on adult swim than CN(especially considering the network think the show is too violent for children). But anyways, CKP might as well be extended to another hour on weekdays, or maybe added it on weekends too due to a lot of classic CN originals being added.

Here’s are my scheduling ideas

Monday-Thursday

5:00PM Dexter’s Lab
5:30pm Ed Edd n eddy
6:00pm Evil con corne
6:30pm Billy and mandy
7:00PM Courage the cowardly dog
7:30pm Cow and Chicken

Fridays: an hour samurai jack, an hour of Cow and chicken, and an hour of Ed Edd n eddy

J'onn J'onzz

Best Male Member '08
I’m happy to see Jack on here again, but we are a bit short on hours with all the shows they keep adding. The loss of Cow and Chicken is disappointing. Does anyone have a chart of which episodes have yet to air? I think they probably have 10 or 20 episodes still to air… maybe the other remastered episodes will return after Dexter or Samurai Jack leave.

I am not sure how Samurai Jack will do. I could see it bombing sadly. This show is very slow at times, and most runs have been extremely short. Remember the 3 week run on original Toonami weekdays? Or the 3 week run at 1 am on AS weekdays in July 2020? There have also been several short lived runs at 8 pm on AS, but it ends up being moved to 5 am.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I'm not too thrilled about Samurai Jack airing on Checkered Past. I get that it's a fan favorite CN show from the 90s-early 00s era, but it's primarily an action show that's different from the rest of the shows on the block in terms of overall tone. Action shows seem better suited for Toonami. My chief concern is that having Samurai Jack as part of CKP will kick open the door for other action shows like Ben 10 or Symbiotic Titan to be run there. CKP doesn't need to become an action block since CN already has a block for action cartoons.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Okay, that's cool. I'm glad that Samurai Jack is part of Checkered Past. I was expecting something like Johnny Bravo coming to the block(though I know it's not gonna happen), but hey, it's better than nothing.

So, Jack is fine by me.

My chief concern is that having Samurai Jack as part of CKP will kick open the door for other action shows like Ben 10 or Symbiotic Titan to be run there.
I would call foul on Ben 10 being put on Checkered Past, but Jack kind of fits because he fits pretty much every cartoon genre.
Eh, I don't know. I mean, adding Ben 10 to Checkered Past is a bit too soon, IMO. The whole point of Checkered Past is supposed to be Adult Swim's The Cartoon Cartoon Show. Adding Ben 10 into the mix is like mixing oil and water. Not to mention, it didn't really fit in terms of the tone.

At least with Samurai Jack, I give it a pass because the show did air during the Cartoon Cartoons era. Post 2002/2003 Cartoon Cartoons era CN Originals should be off limits. They should either be on CN, Boomerang, or on Max.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I'd definitely much prefer having Johnny Bravo or 2 Stupid Dogs join the block, but I understand why they haven't (CN is wishy-washy and the latter is at best an honorary Cartoon Cartoon, but really not), and there isn't much else from that era that can really work. as Powerpuff Girls is probably 86'd due to its upcoming reboot and the other show's contemporaries were too short-lived and unpopular to fit.

But I suggested Samurai Jack for a reason the other week. For better or worse, it fits on here and it helps to keep the block a little fresh. I don't see Ben 10, classic or otherwise, airing, especially as I believe another series may be in development, and there aren't many other contemporary action shows for CKP to try. They could scoot up a little bit for Generator Rex (although Sym-Bionic Titan I believe was written-off), but if they're going to that point in the channel's history, why not pick Chowder and Flapjack first?

That said, as great as Jack is, if it's replacing Cow & Chicken, that's a little disappointing. It's far more widely available.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Not to go off topic, but what's 86'd? I'm curious.
Dropped. Outta here. Off the table. Not gonna happen. (It comes from bartender code for cutting off service to a drunk.) In this case it means that PPG likely won't be put on CKP due to it having a new show in development on CN. Same deal with Foster's.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Dropped. Outta here. Off the table. Not gonna happen. (It comes from bartender code for cutting off service to a drunk.) In this case it means that PPG likely won't be put on CKP due to it having a new show in development on CN. Same deal with Foster's.
Oh okay. Thank you dude.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
If I remember, Adult Swim actually aired Samurai Jack as the lead in (the first show at the start of the block) awhile back, so this makes sense. It was basically Checkered Past before Checkered Past was a thing.

Moe

It is interesting to see Samurai Jack to be added on Checkered Past.

I think MeToo movement is major reason that we wouldn't see Johnny Bravo on Checkered Past, so WBD want you to buy home video instead.

Speaking about tax write-off, you aren't only to have pay back, also you must pay hefty interest rate to IRS to get shows and movies out of tax write-off, so it gets very expensive quickly. After years, that's not worth anymore.

parkersfan89

cow and chicken will be rotating out of the Friday lineup & will be replaced by Billy & Mandy!

I'm not too thrilled about Samurai Jack airing on Checkered Past. I get that it's a fan favorite CN show from the 90s-early 00s era, but it's primarily an action show that's different from the rest of the shows on the block in terms of overall tone. Action shows seem better suited for Toonami. My chief concern is that having Samurai Jack as part of CKP will kick open the door for other action shows like Ben 10 or Symbiotic Titan to be run there. CKP doesn't need to become an action block since CN already has a block for action cartoons.
will CP air the 2017 season of samurai jack?

CP's schedule for 4/29/24-5/3/24:​

April 29, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Hard Day's Day / Road Rash / Ocean Commotion" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "The Busboy / Things That Go Bonk in the Night / Ol' McDexter" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Billy and the Bully / To Eris Human / Big Trouble in Billy's Basement" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Battle of the Bands / Little Rock of Horror / Dream a Little Dream" (repeat)

April 30, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Sassy Come Home / Photo Finish" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Unconventional / Dexter is Dirty / Ice Cream Scream" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Meet the Reaper / Skeletons in the Water Closet / Opposite Day" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Get Out of My Head / Look Alive! / Mortal Dilemma" (repeat)

May 1, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Decode of Honor / World's Greatest Mom / Ultrajerk 2000" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Dee Dee Be Deep / 911 / Down in the Dumps" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Fiend is Like Friend Without 'R' / Recipe for Disaster / A Dumb Wish" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Grim or Gregory? / Grim vs. Mom / Tastes Like Chicken" (repeat)

May 2, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Unfortunate Cookie / The Muffin King" (repeat)
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Dexter's Laboratory - "Picture Day / Now That's a Stretch / Dexter Detention" (repeat)
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Billy & Mandy's Jacked-Up Halloween" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - "Something Stupid This Way Comes / A Grim Surprise / Beasts and Barbarians" (repeat)

May 3, 2024​

• 5:00 p.m. ET/PT - Cow and Chicken - "Cloud Nine / Send in the Clowns / Revolutionary Weasel"
  • 5:30 p.m. ET/PT - Cow and Chicken - "The Big Move / Cow's Magic Blanket / I.R. Ghost"
  • 6:00 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Boom Boom Out Goes the Ed / Cleanliness is Next to Edness" (repeat)
  • 6:30 p.m. ET/PT - Ed, Edd n Eddy - "Out with the Old, In with the Ed" (repeat)

Mod Note: Triple post merged. Please use the edit button instead of replying 3 times in a row

Last edited by a moderator:

Moe

Not to go off topic, but what's 86'd? I'm curious.
It feel like The Powerpuff Girls premiered on ABC in 1986 and it was made by Hanna Barbera, lol.

Two brothers would be in high school at that time and I would be born after end of second season.

The advertising would looks like Cabbage Patch Kids, NES, Care Bears, Teddy Ruxpin, Pez, Etch-A-Sketch, etc.

harry580

It feel like The Powerpuff Girls premiered on ABC in 1986 and it was made by Hanna Barbera, lol.

Two brothers would be in high school at that time and I would be born after end of second season.

The advertising would looks like Cabbage Patch Kids, NES, Care Bears, Teddy Ruxpin, Pez, Etch-A-Sketch, etc.
now, imagine that

Zorak Masaki

Could CP air any action shows (not anime)? I dont know which ones they still have the rights to (and certain ones like the DCAU are probably in the no chance category), but there must be some action shows from the 90s-2000s they still have the rights to (and if they get desperate, they can even go into the 80s vault and drag out some of those shows).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Featured Posts