A few months ago, I conducted a survey of how familiar people where with 50 different cartoons. Here are the results (300 responses)

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Who did you send the survey to? Your friends and family? Random people on the internet? Both?

CassieTheDragon

On another note, have any of you ever heard of Blazing Dragons or Big Guy and Rusty The Boy Robot, the two most obscure cartoons listed? Less than 20 people have ever even heard of either of them, and the amount of people who've watched either is in the single digits (6 people for both shows).

Before doing this I had never heard of either show in my life. They're the only two I had of the 50 that I had never heard of beforehand.

Pooky

Staff member
Out of the "most obscure" list I hadn't heard of any of the cartoons that ranked below Craig, bar Bunsen Is A Beast, Stickin' Around and Lloyd In Space (and it turns out I was misremembering what Lloyd in Space actually was).

CassieTheDragon

Out of the "most obscure" list I hadn't heard of any of the cartoons that ranked below Craig, bar Bunsen Is A Beast, Stickin' Around and Lloyd In Space (and it turns out I was misremembering what Lloyd in Space actually was).
Stickin' Around is great. Very, very underrated.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I vaguely remember The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot. I believe it aired during the same Fox Kids season when Digimon started, so I definitely saw a little bit of it, although I can't recall much of the series beyond Pamela Adlon's voice.

CassieTheDragon

I vaguely remember The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot. I believe it aired during the same Fox Kids season when Digimon started, so I definitely saw a little bit of it, although I can't recall much of the series beyond Pamela Adlon's voice.
Yes, it aired on Fox Kids. However, apparently, it was shelved really quickly after airing only a couple of episodes, but then aired the rest of the episodes in 2001.

According to Wikipedia:
26 episodes were produced for the Fox Kids Network's Saturday morning lineup, but the channel cancelled the show after six episodes. The show premiered on September 18, 1999, and ended on October 23.

CassieTheDragon

WHY ARE SO MANY GREAT CARTOONS DECLARED AWFUL?

what?
See this comment:
CotC isn't regarded as awful though. That's my ranking for it in terms of how well-known it is.

Only 26% (80 people) knew what it was, and only 5.3 (16 people) have ever even watched it at all - which is why I gave it the grade of "Awful" for recognition (not really "a grade" I guess, in the traditional sense, but still).
Surprised people don't understand this, considering I literally show what the grades are for in the spreadsheet.

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
On another note, have any of you ever heard of Blazing Dragons or Big Guy and Rusty The Boy Robot, the two most obscure cartoons listed? Less than 20 people have ever even heard of either of them, and the amount of people who've watched either is in the single digits (6 people for both shows).

Before doing this I had never heard of either show in my life. They're the only two I had of the 50 that I had never heard of beforehand.
I know of them. Blazing Dragons had a bunch of Monty Python veterans attached, and there was even a video game based on it.
As for Big Guy & Rusty, it was based on a comic by the legendary Frank Miller and quite-respected comic artist Geoff Darrow. It's funny, the characters have been around the comics scene for a while (first appearing in pin-ups around 1993, and they still sometimes get reprints and the occasional odd merchandise), but they've only appeared in a small handful of stories.
The TV series technically lasted longer than the comic in this regard, but I guess it failed to catch on, since there was only a single season produced (though the cartoon had a bit of merchandise and at least I managed to be aware of it when it was airing). Luckily, the cartoon had gotten some exposure in more recent years via streaming services and digital platforms (its even been released legally on YouTube) and DVD.

Yeah, I remember Stickin' Around, but it seemed to be a show that was just barely there and could have been easily missed (it aired in the States on Fox Kids around 1998, so probably was at the wrong place at the wrong time).

I do wanna say, I'm pleasantly surprised that so many people are familiar with Cow & Chicken (God willing that gets a good DVD release stateside before too long)

CassieTheDragon

I do wanna say, I'm pleasantly surprised that so many people are familiar with Cow & Chicken (God willing that gets a good DVD release stateside before too long)
Same for me but with Dragon Tales. Personally though i'm not that surprised about Cow and Chicken being more known as it's a 90s Cartoon Cartoon, that IIRC still airs on Boomerang from time to time.

Mejo

Just a standard Fox going about in the Wild West

I've heard about both. Never seen an episode, but i've heard about them (if you're wondering where, it was from Hal Erikson's book about TV cartoons).

As for the list itself, I'm not surprised that The Magic School Bus was ranked so highly at all. Those episodes were played TO DEATH in schools and on PBS, libraries had lots of VHS's and DVD's of it and libraries also had lots of books from that series in stock.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

there are many parts of my childhood I wish I could erase from my memories. so much bullying. I was mentally, emotionally and physically traumatized. really, my current personality is me trying to reclaim that part of my life.
Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.

Featured Posts