Almost the entire PowerPuff Girls series on Japanese DVDs

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Note to the mods: Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty please link this thread to DVD board?

From http://forums.dvdtoons.com/showthread.php?p=28913#post28913

rottwang said:
As you know, the release of Powerpuff Girls on DVD is pretty much dead in the water. After 4 volumes of randomly selected cartoons, it doesn't look like there'll be any more anytime soon, though I wouldn't discount it entirely (after all, who saw the complete Invader Zim coming?).
The good news is that there are currently 13 volumes of Powerpuff Girls DVDs from Japan, containing every cartoon from episodes 1-49, as well as the two original "What a Cartoon" episodes, "Meat Fuzzy Lumpkins" and "Crime 101." These are official Warner/CN releases, not bootlegs or "fansubs." They feature the original English audio tracks with optional Japanese subtitles.
Now for the semi-bad news: 1) As these are Japanese DVDs, they are more expensive than domestic DVDs. 2) These are of course region 2 DVDs. 3) These are feature-poor DVDs, each disc containing only one bonus feature and no other extras. 4) Although they contain all the toons mentioned above, they are not all chronologically presented, so there is some overlap with the domestic DVDs. Still, each disc contains at least one toon unavailable in the US.
I couldn't get accurate track info on these, so I just went ahead and bought them all. I now pass on my acquired knowledge to you. Here is what you get:
Volume 1: Monkey See Doggy Do, Mommy Fearest, Octi-Evil, Gesundfight, Buttercrush, Fuzzy Logic, Boogie Frights, Abracadaver. Bonus: Shonen Knife music video, "Buttercup (I'm a Supergirl)"
Volume 2: Telephonies, Tough Love, Major Competition, Mr. Mojo's Rising, Paste Makes Waste, Ice Sore, Bubblevicious, The Bare Facts. Bonus: P.P.S. music video, "Cream Puff Shuffle"
Volume 3: The Rowdyruff Boys, Birthday Bash, Too Pooped to Puff, Dream Scheme, You Snooze You Lose, Mo Job, Pet Feud. Bonus: P.P.S. music video, "Win, Lose or Draw"
Volume 4: Uh Oh Dynamo, Cat Man Do, Mime for a Change, Just Another Manic Mojo, Down 'n' Dirty, Powerpuff Bluff, Collect Her. Bonus: Meat Fuzzy Lumpkins
Volume 5: Schoolhouse Rocked, Imaginary Fiend, Impeach Fuzz, Daylight Savings, Slumbering with the Enemy, Los Dos Mojos, Stuck Up, Up and Away, Bubblevision. Bonus: Crime 101
Volume 6: Supper Villain, Cover Up, Beat Your Greens, Child Fearing, Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever, The Mane Event, Twisted Sister, Mojo Jonesin'. Bonus: DEVO music video, "Go Monkey Go"
Volume 7: Criss Cross Crisis, Catastrophe, Just Desserts, Slave the Day, A Very Special Blossom, Monkey See Doggy Two, and an episode consisting of clips with Japanese only narration/audio. Bonus: Whoop@#! Stew, the original Craig McCracken cartoon, but with McCracken's commentary dubbed over the audio (the commentary is unremovable)
Volume 8: Something's A Ms., Cootie Gras, Hot Air Buffoon, Super Zeroes, Power Lunch, Three Girls and a Monster, Helter Shelter, and another Japanese only clip compilation. Bonus: Bis music video, "Fight the Power"
Volume 9: Fallen Arches, Candy is Dandy, Town and Out, Power Prof, Ploys R Us, Gettin' Twiggy With It, and another Japanese only clip compilation. Bonus: a series of PPG spots for Japanese TV
Volume 10: Bought and Scold, Moral Decay, Insect Inside, Headsucker's Moxy, Equal Fights, Jewel of the Aisle, Speed Demon, and another Japanese only clip compilation. Bonus: PPG/CN promo spots in both Japanese and English
Volume 11: Cop Out, Meet the Beat Alls, Film Flam, Get Back Jojo, Members Only. Bonus: P.P.S. music video, "Work Soul Out"
Volume 12: Knock It Off, Superfiends, Stray Bullet, All Chalked Up. Bonus: PPG movie promo spots in English
Volume 13: Him Diddle Riddle, Nano of the North, Forced Kin. Bonus: PPG movie trailer in Japanese
A note about watching: There is no set-up menu on these DVDs, so you have to start playing them, then select your audio/subtitle choice from your remote.
You can obtain these DVDs from cdjapan.co.jp, yesasia.com, or play-asia.com. All three sites are in English, so there's no trouble ordering.
Just so you know, I am not employed by any of the websites mentioned, Warner Bros. or its affiliates, blah blah blah.

iggy

Rocko's modern Life fan
Doesn't seem worth it. but i loved the " What a cartoon"episode Meet Fuzzy Lumpkins i remember A leaf fell on Fuzzy's property and he shot it with a gun and said * Get off my property!* me and my cousin laughed at that one for a long time! i think we were like 7:D

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Certainly beats the tar out of the umpteen Christmas/Halloween compilations Cartoon Network Puts out in the US. Why Can't Cartoon Network put out some decent DVd's of the Powerpuff Girls, even if they aren't in seasons)

Wanted

Toonmaster
John Pannozzi said:
Note to the mods: Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty please link this thread to DVD board?
Why? Anyhow, I though this was pretty much common knowledge, what with Karl Olson mentioning it from time to time.

Marble

Worms and plastic minnows!
I'm sure I've seen tons of volumes out here in Europe o_o. I saw a whole rack of them at Somerfields one time. Maybe I'll get me a Japanese one just to see what it's like :). Have they released any other DVD's with Japanese audio?

eJm

weirdojace said:
Hmm, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on those DVD's...
Pretty much me too. I don't think I've seen a CN DVD over here in Brighty :(

Unlike Tak, who seems to see it all :p

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

My reaction that TeenNick is airing more cartoons than live-action.

Quoted for the truth!
PLuto LEGO now is airing LEGO Friends: Next Chapter. Disney channel former recently aired this before.
It bugs me how when you say Looney Tunes, most people jump to the 50's Chuck Jones shorts as the default. I'm not trying to throw shade at Jones; he was great and the 50s LTs were great, but the 40's shorts shouldn't be overlooked; they're that much better IMO.
Greg Johnson currently writing on Spidey And His Amazing Friends makes me wonder why he didn't write for a Spiderman cartoon sooner given his experiences with Marvel.

Featured Posts