Animation Domination on FOX 2023-2024 Season Talkback (Spoilers)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
The Simpsons "Cremains Of The Day" - Okay I know the Simpsons isn't a continuity based show and is very episodic and hell even "The Many Saints of Springfield" made a joke on how sometimes they totally forget plot points and character beats they set up earlier that didn't wind up going anywhere, but if this episode is going to bring up and make a point that Carl is still with Naima, why are they totally ignoring that Moe got engaged with Maya? Hell they could have even made a joke about that when Moe says to Homer "I ain't got nothing" Homer could point out he's engaged surprising Moe who thought that was a fever dream or something like that. Seriously guys it's 2024 and you're doing ideas and stories made for this current generation at least try and get your act together. Which also reminds me that this episode missed the potential for a really amazing joke; instead of just ending with Moe like having hidden the diamonds on him it SHOULD have ended with the guys all cheering to Larry's ashes and promising to never leave a friend behind again... which is when Sam busts in and asks if he can hang out and Homer goes "who the hell is that?" And the others just shrug as Sam walks away dejected.

Because I want to give them major props for actually doing an episode on Larry the barfly. Granted it's on him dying and the joke is how no one knew him or got to know him at all but it's still something especially for a character that even in my old school Simpsons Episode guide just listed as one of the generic barflies you just saw in the background early on back when the only regulars in Moe's Tavern were Homer and Barney. Once Lenny and Carl became more regulars at the place it really became more about that group so I do really like the idea of actually focusing a bit on Larry and trying to do right by him one last time. I also appreciate that they really only had Marge there to motivate the guys to at least try and care about one of the regular barflies and Lisa and Bart just doing quick at the funeral house gag. I admit I think even the earlier seasons for as probably much more overall funny they were would NEVER have a plot so focused on Homer without them for such long gaps and force them in a side plot which this didn't really need. As honestly just the banter between Homer, Moe Lenny and Carl is great from them arguing over what happens after death to Moe trying to pin Homer as the one who wanted to lie about the sapphires to Lenny wanting to go on the scenic route for Larry's sake or even Homer not knowing to go on 3 and how Larry wound up saving him. Heck even the joke about Fat Tony's lose ends thus was good and I don't know if one of them has worked for me in like... twenty years so that's impressive. So yeah just a really solid one all the way around... if it hit the continuity and ending better probably would have been one of the true highlights of the season but still quite solid.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Simpsons "The Cremains Of The Day"

It's not a bad episode by any means, and even killing off a background character is unusual for the show, but it didn't really speak to me. I don't need to do a huge in-depth review to essentially say "Meh." Here it is. Meh.

The animation in the musical sequence reminded me of a Ralph Bakshi cartoon.

Marge thinks Lenny is sensitive? Okay, Marge. Go over to the new mall. There's an uncovered angel skeleton there for you to fall for.

I do have to acknowledge the animation did some great facial expressions on Moe while he was plotting with Homer. But I kind of resent that whenever I half-forget Moe is the single worst person who ever lived the show always feels the need to remind me of it. Ugh.

Or more accurately, Meh. ***.

The Great North "High Expectations Adventure"

Thoughts:

The Wet Wolf is disgusting, and man, I have to say it, I hate Wolf. He's super annoying. What pisses me off the most is how much I love Honeybee. He doesn't deserve her. But I told myself regardless of my distaste there I would give the episode five stars if it ended without Judy and Kima understanding they were high.

The damn show couldn't stick the landing there. That would have been amazing comedy with integrity. But television must be television, and even Alanis Morrissette is forced to do anti-marijuana PSAs at the literal end of the day.

Good to see Alanis. It's been too long. Judy is easily my favorite character, and also the funniest. I just love her. Bonus points for her bestie Kima being such a refreshing positive Native representation. That is SO cool and welcome.

But the so-so episode did NOT earn the five stars it would have gotten for the comedy bravery of Judy and Kima's obvious behavior being supposedly inexplicable. Not even close. ***1/2.

Orange Mo

orangemo
Grimsburg really needs to step it up next season if they want me to keep watching it. The ideas are okay but the show is just not funny at all. There's way too many characters and none of them really stand out. Dr. Pentos is probably the best character and he barely gets any screentime. I do like the raised by bears idea though so I hope they explore more with that. Season 2 needs to be way less like Scooby Doo and focus on more character development.

Krapopolis is still not wowing me that much but I think the Hippocampus episodes are the best ones. He's easily the best character on the show, but Stupendous is a close second.

Orange Mo

orangemo
Grimsburg had a solid season finale. Last few episodes were pretty decent actually. Still not sold on the show but hoping season 2 is a lot better and they work out any issues in the first. That season finale was better than any Housebroken episode put out in existence for sure, which is not a high bar at all.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I'm going to be blunt and say the ending to this week's Great North was one of the funniest twists the show has ever done, probably one of the funniest comedy scenes of the current animation domination season.

harry580

maybe the show above magmaster12 went through a the orville phase, hated by people when first aired but got loved by people & a spawn fandom later

Orange Mo

orangemo
I'm going to be blunt and say the ending to this week's Great North was one of the funniest twists the show has ever done, probably one of the funniest comedy scenes of the current animation domination season.
Season 4 of North has genuinely been so good. It's incredibly hilarious and man I wish Bob's was still this funny. Not saying modern Bob's is bad but it's just not the same anymore.

Really love how they developed Beef this season. Character development in this show has been nothing less than amazing.

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
After the Valentine's episode where Jimmy Jr went on a date with a different girl it really ruined his relationship with Tina for me she needs to get with it and realize he is only interested when it's convenient and she can do better

The ending to this week's Bob's Burgers was completely unearned if I were Tina I'd tell him to sleep on Zeke's shoulder next time.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Bart's Brain- An odd premise , probably the oddest Simpson's premise (non Halloween) I've seen, but they made it work. I'm not going to say was perfect through out, because I think the episode turning into Bart's the town weirdo was unnecessary. The Parody intro was fun and glad it was at least a good episode for Bart, because sometimes I feel he doesn't get the best stuff in current seasons. Good season finale.

Also, I think I'm growing to enjoy Krapopolis it's pretty fun at times and has some funny moments.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

My reaction that Disney's Mickey Mornings block ends at 12:30pm next week.
I just thought about something. Let's say, hypothetically, Adult Swim cancels Checkered Past. What do you think would happen to the classic CN shows on the block?

after youtube NickRewind somehow posting LOT Victorious videos, however just today, the short is Nick preschool podcasts. Don't know if it's permanent

Last May 15 posted Dora's new podcast trailer
The daily experience of going on social media: "Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits! It says 'ooooooo'." "Peter, those are Cheerios."
did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal

Featured Posts