"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion Part 2 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
It would be cool to see Black Mask on the series, since I feel he was unfortunately overlooked on BTAS. And what the heck, let's see Silver St. Cloud, too.

I don't particularly want to see more recent Bat-villains like Hush, Zsasz, or Professor Pyg show up, though, as none of them do anything for me.
I was so happy they featured her in Soul of the Dragon even if it was for, like, two minutes :p.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It would be cool to see Black Mask on the series, since I feel he was unfortunately overlooked on BTAS. And what the heck, let's see Silver St. Cloud, too.

I don't particularly want to see more recent Bat-villains like Hush, Zsasz, or Professor Pyg show up, though, as none of them do anything for me.

Unless this show R-rated, I don't think Pyg or Zsasz will show up, unless they completely change them, like they did with Pyg in the last Batman cartoon.

Hush is a convoluted and dull character, IMO.

Black Mask could be interesting, especially in a gang war story with Penguin. It's easier to edit Black Mask's overly dark moments than it would with Pyg or Zsasz.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Ed Brubaker was a guest on a podcast (link to Twitter). Haven't listened to it all but talks briefly about Caped Crusader starting around 45:35. He finished work on the show, he's seeing early cuts of the episodes, and couldn't return for season 2 due to the strikes and working on other projects. He mostly switches to talking about another project, Criminal afterwards from what I listened.

Around 53:00 he talks about the other writers for Caped Crusader, the first Renee Montoya episode, he warns us that it's a lot different from Batman TAS, it's PG, they were told they could do it PG-13 but it's not; more people getting punched on screen, it's kind of noir, a different take he hopes people will like but will also be shocked by it.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was doing some digging on Reddit and noticed there was a test screening for episode 1 around November 8.

Ed Brubaker was a guest on a podcast (link to Twitter). Haven't listened to it all but talks briefly about Caped Crusader starting around 45:35. He finished work on the show, he's seeing early cuts of the episodes, and couldn't return for season 2 due to the strikes and working on other projects. He mostly switches to talking about another project, Criminal afterwards from what I listened.
That's a shame he couldn't return but creatives gotta strike when the iron's hot. Hope his other projects see the day of light. But then the question of who's the season 2 story editor for Caped Crusader? Hmm.

Around 53:00 he talks about the other writers for Caped Crusader, the first Renee Montoya episode, he warns us that it's a lot different from Batman TAS, it's PG, they were told they could do it PG-13 but it's not; more people getting punched on screen, it's kind of noir, a different take he hopes people will like but will also be shocked by it.
I'm sure that will be a relief to people that's not straight up PG-13 and more PG. On paper. We'll see.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
A shame he couldn't work on season 2, kind of makes me wonder if there'll be any noticeable shift in the writing as a result...though maybe not.

I also have been kind of wondering about the content. It doesn't sound that far off from the later DCAU or the earlier seasons of YJ. Seems like it'll be more action-y than B:TAS but also more noir vibes.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
A shame he will not be returning for season 2. Always nice to get a fresh voice.

Show still sounds like it is ticking all my boxes. I also just realised that this is longest we have ever gone without a Bruce Timm guided project.

Since 1992 (until 2021), a Timm produced animated project has released every single year. Certainly helps keep the anticipation high for Caped Crusader.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
A shame he will not be returning for season 2. Always nice to get a fresh voice.

Show still sounds like it is ticking all my boxes. I also just realised that this is longest we have ever gone with a Bruce Timm guided project.

Since 1992, a Timm produced animated project has released every single year. Certainly helps keep the anticipation high for Caped Crusader.
I just hope having other creatives involved will make sure Timm doesn't over-indulge with this show.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

I like Brubaker a lot and it's sad thinking a guy of his caliber won't be around for Season 2 but I'm happy that there's a prospective Season 2 in the works before we even get the show.

#TeamMike

I just hope having other creatives involved will make sure Timm doesn't over-indulge with this show.
I can't wait for the series to (hopefully) be awesome, and the internet to downplay Timm. "You see, he's just dah artist. Ed Brubaker is dah real mastermind!"

I don't wanna go off on a tangent here, but the way Timm gets treated by fandom these days, and the number of falsehoods that spread about him is just gross and distorted.

Frontier

Staff member
I can't wait for the series to (hopefully) be awesome, and the internet to downplay Timm. "You see, he's just dah artist. Ed Brubaker is dah real mastermind!"

I don't wanna go off on a tangent here, but the way Timm gets treated by fandom these days, and the number of falsehoods that spread about him is just gross and distorted.
Oh, I fully acknowledge Bruce Timm as a great creator, I just think he also works at his best bouncing off other peoples' ideas :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I just think he also works at his best bouncing off other peoples' ideas :).
Who doesn't? It always takes a village. There's a lot of great talent on this show working with him. Brubaker. James Tucker. Jase Ricci (who I would guess could take over as story editor for season 2) I get the longer we know of a show being in the works, the more we sorta build up these faux concerns in our heads as we wait for a trailer but let's have a bit more faith in Timm and co. It'll be a great show.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
Finally, an update! Here’s an article from Comic Book Resources with head writer Ed Brubaker.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I was wondering if there was a new source for these Brubaker news but it's the same video from last month. In a way it's cool the news is now reaching more people, but here's hoping we get something more substantial, and soon.

Medinnus

Staff member
Its a shame that Brubaker won't continue as part of Season Two; his work as a crime writer in comics (both as work-for-hire and his own stuff) is amazing and ranks up there with Greg Rucka's prose.

the greenman

Who doesn't? It always takes a village. There's a lot of great talent on this show working with him. Brubaker. James Tucker. Jase Ricci (who I would guess could take over as story editor for season 2) I get the longer we know of a show being in the works, the more we sorta build up these faux concerns in our heads as we wait for a trailer but let's have a bit more faith in Timm and co. It'll be a great show.
Correct. I think the creators are usually unnerved by fandom giving them solo credit. Unless they were guys like John Kricfalusi or Mike Judge where they had multiple jobs on a project, and they were simply the masterminds behind them. Most do want to share the load. A lot of ideas weren't all created in a vacuum. I do respect the heck out of Mr. Timm, but he knows to give credit to Dini, McDuffie, or Radomski.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts