Cartoon Network's (Upcoming) 30th Anniversary

BlooMac

I know MeTV and Boomerang air the aforementioned shows (LT, T&J, Flintstones), but MeTV isn't joining the celebration and some of the classic CN originals are also airing on Boomerang right now, that doesn't mean they shouldn't air those too. I'm not saying they should spam these shows every day on CN, a single half-hour on October 1 would have been fine. Again, CN didn't launch with Dexter and PPG. These shows are an important part of CN's history as much as their originals and they shouldn't be ignoring them.

Toonhead2002Ultra

The leaked schedule... Meh, it's okay. Not bad. But not great either. Maybe slightly more shows than in 2012 when they as well didn't bother to fit in more variety, but I feel it still lacks. It wouldn't hurt them one bit to air old stuff just for two days.
I think they could at least slightly remedy this by airing Hannah Barbera shows (not Scooby) on Boomerang on the same day, but I doubt that's gonna happen. Would be cool though.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Scooby Doo premiered on CN in October 1994. I remember those days. 28 years later the brand is still the highlight of CN/Boomerang. Yet it's a franchise from the 60s/70s. I hope at least Boomerang will air Where Are You, The Show, A Pup, 13 Ghosts in that event. Before Cartoon Cartoons took over after What A Cartoon launched, the channel was just premieres of reruns. But even with the amount of shows they had, they had several clear pillars: Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, Flintstones & Jetsons, Popeye, Droopy, Tom and Jerry, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost & Birdman. I wasn't asking them to air something obscure or controversial. But would airing these true classics once during one weekend after many years be too much to ask for? Not to mention the other Cartoon Cartoons that haven't been selected either: Robot Jones, Time Squad, Sheep, Mike Lu Og, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Juniper Lee, Camp Lazlo, Ben10 classic, etc. Instead of several slots for Gumball, Titans and Craig they could have added something else. We shall see what the other day will hold. Like, I'm not butthurt or anything. I expected much worse in general - no bumpers, no shows, etc. We will have also the online stream, so maybe there some shows will end up. It's just that I'd do it differently and treat this special occassion better. They for example could have done a countdown having 30 shows each day based on years the shows premiered. Or have messages from viewers. Like, don't tell me that the network guys don't have even that much imagination. But hey, at least we have one CN hour back. I hope people support even the little we have.

BlooMac

Ironically, Looney Tunes became a bigger hit on CN after several originals had already premiered since that's when they got access to more shorts, thanks to the TimeWarner merger. But yeah, Looney Tunes was such a huge part of the network during the late 90s and early 00s, with so many events, marathons, and anthology series, that you can't just sweep it under the rug.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
Ironically, Looney Tunes became a bigger hit on CN after several originals had already premiered since that's when they got access to more shorts, thanks to the TimeWarner merger. But yeah, Looney Tunes was such a huge part of the network during the late 90s and early 00s, with so many events, marathons, and anthology series, that you can't just sweep it under the rug.
Exactly. Looking at the schedule for 1st October I had the feeling that something was missing... The very first thing that was aired on CN back in 30 years.

I mean, it's not a bad schedule, it has 20 shows for this day, but they should at least add "Rhapsody Rabbit" or any birthday-themed Looney Tunes short.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I can understand if they have an excuse for some shows not being in HD and looking off. That's fair enough too. But Looney Tunes, Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby-Doo Where Are You, Tom and Jerry, Space Ghost, Jonny Quest, Popeye, Droopy, Thundarr... All are being sold on native Blu-Ray as we speak. That's why I specifically selected these. There really is no excuse in this case.

Toonhead2002Ultra

By the way for reference sake:

Shows that aired for both anniversaries:
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
The Powerpuff Girls (1998)
Flapjack
Regular Show
Dexter's Laboratory
Chowder
Adventure Time
Codename Kids Next Door
Gumball
Billy & Mandy

30th only:
Steven Universe
Clarence
Uncle Grandpa
We Bare Bears
Apple & Onion
Teen Titans Go!
Teen Titans
Total Dramarama
Craig of the Creek
Ed Edd n Eddy

20th only:
My Gym Partner's a Monkey
Johnny Test
Sidekick
Almost Naked Animals
Annoying Orange

Weirdly enough no Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, or Looney Tunes on either of them (the 20th did have bumps with these and other classic CN characters though).

parkersfan89

By the way for reference sake:

Shows that aired for both anniversaries:
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
The Powerpuff Girls (1998)
Flapjack
Regular Show
Dexter's Laboratory
Chowder
Adventure Time
Codename Kids Next Door
Gumball
Billy & Mandy

30th only:
Steven Universe
Clarence
Uncle Grandpa
We Bare Bears
Apple & Onion
Teen Titans Go!
Teen Titans
Total Dramarama
Craig of the Creek
Ed Edd n Eddy

20th only:
My Gym Partner's a Monkey
Johnny Test
Sidekick
Almost Naked Animals
Annoying Orange

Weirdly enough no Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, or Looney Tunes on either of them (the 20th did have bumps with these and other classic CN characters though).
Ed, Edd, & Eddy, Billy & Mandy, & a few others were also aired for the 20th anniversary as part of the 2012-2014 Cartoon Planet block. thery also need to air Time Squad, Juniper Lee, Supernoobs, Sheep In The Big City, and more for the 30th as well.

BlooMac

Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry were still part of the regular schedule then, so I can see them why they skipped them that day to make room for other shows that weren't airing regularly. We didn't need Almost Naked Animals and Sidekick though.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I agree about the lack of classics being used is disappointing. Before they started making originals, Cartoon Network was carried by Bugs Bunny, Fred Flintstone, and Scooby-Doo, and are just as important to the channel's history as Powerpuff Girls and Adventure Time.

parkersfan89

I agree about the lack of classics being used is disappointing. Before they started making originals, Cartoon Network was carried by Bugs Bunny, Fred Flintstone, and Scooby-Doo, and are just as important to the channel's history as Powerpuff Girls and Adventure Time.
what about Johnny bravo, Mike Lu & Og, & Sheep In The Big City. They need to play them!

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
what about Johnny bravo, Mike Lu & Og, & Sheep In The Big City. They need to play them!
All good shows, but not nearly as important to the network. I do agree that it feels a little empty to leave Johnny Bravo behind, but the lack of Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry are absolutely egregious.

parkersfan89

All good shows, but not nearly as important to the network. I do agree that it feels a little empty to leave Johnny Bravo behind, but the lack of Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry are absolutely egregious.
how about Mike Lu & Og, & Sheep In The Big City? the last CN played them was years ago. also Cow & Chicken would be nice too. since CN last played them for the 20th as part of the Cartoon Planet block (2012-2014 era).

BlooMac

As @Darklordavaitor already said, they're not nearly as important. I'd love them to air some less popular shows too, but they need to have the bigger ones first.

I do agree that Johnny Bravo needed a spot too, the show was pretty popular in the late 90s/early 00s. Heck, Johnny was often used as a host, having his own spin-off request show, being an often pick for CCF (they even joked about that), and he also hosted The Fancy Anvil Awards, so you could argue that he was some sort of a face for the channel at that time.

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
As @Darklordavaitor already said, they're not nearly as important. I'd love them to air some less popular shows too, but they need to have the bigger ones first.

I do agree that Johnny Bravo needed a spot too, the show was pretty popular in the late 90s/early 00s. Heck, Johnny was often used as a host, having his own spin-off request show, being an often pick for CCF (they even joked about that), and he also hosted The Fancy Anvil Awards, so you could argue that he was some sort of a face for the channel at that time.
They could also have Cow and Chicken/I Am Weasel/Evil Con Carne.

BlooMac

Guys, the point was CN ignoring some of their biggest shows. Obviously Evil Con Carne, I Am Weasel, Mike, Lu & Og, and Sheep in the Big City didn't shape the network and aren't household names like Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, The Powerpuff Girls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe. Again, good shows, but they can't fit everything in. I love Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, but you don't see me asking about it.

Silver-7

Tad Ghostal
Guys, the point was CN ignoring some of their biggest shows. Obviously Evil Con Carne, I Am Weasel, Mike, Lu & Og, and Sheep in the Big City didn't shape the network and aren't household names like Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo, The Powerpuff Girls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe. Again, good shows, but they can't fit everything in. I love Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, but you don't see me asking about it.
i think some people have this unrealistic expectation that CN is gonna air all these old more obscure shows for the 30th anniversary. no doubt it would be cool, but when i think of CN, my first thoughts are "adventure time, regular show, fosters, flapjack, kids next door, dexter, chowder, billy and mandy, etc. all of which are airing on there anniversary. i think it would be the funniest thing ever if they aired something like MAD, SMFA, or even dude what would happen, or destroy build destroy next month, but realistically that wouldn't (and probably can't) happen

parkersfan89

i think some people have this unrealistic expectation that CN is gonna air all these old more obscure shows for the 30th anniversary. no doubt it would be cool, but when i think of CN, my first thoughts are "adventure time, regular show, fosters, flapjack, kids next door, dexter, chowder, billy and mandy, etc. all of which are airing on there anniversary. i think it would be the funniest thing ever if they aired something like MAD, SMFA, or even dude what would happen, or destroy build destroy next month, but realistically that wouldn't (and probably can't) happen
wow that sucks! it's a MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

AnimatedFan01

I mean, Nickelodeon aired Oh Yeah Cartoons! abruptly in 2007 for the Super Stuffed Nicktoons Weekend marathon despite OYC! not airing since it ended and they even aired Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, Angry Beavers and Aaaah!!! Real Monsters for the last times on the main network just for their animation catalogue skim through, but then again Nick doesn't have as much a history of short-lived and forgotten cartoons like CN does, and the shows I mentioned are remembered by 90s fanatics.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.

Featured Posts