• If they aren't new I don't buy 'em

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I can go either way

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
I'm very close to adding to my GameCube library (even though now I feel the need to make up for 50 bucks :( ) and I'm just wondering if any of you people buy used video games for the new systems from CD shops and the like. (I don't mean you buddy wants to sell his game to you, just for the record).

Even though they are usually guaranteed I'm a little leery of buying something that expensive that someone else already used.

Thoughts?

Psycho Fox

Toonix Guru
Yes I do, it is cheaper and when the game gets older it is more easer to get a hold of a used copy.

There is nothing wrong with one else using it CDs are very durable if taken care of.

Web Head

Girlfriend + Bridge = Bad
I have a PS2 and I buy alot of PS1 games used because a lot of times that's the only way to find them. But around me, used games from most stores are only $5-10 cheaper than new, so in that case it's not worth it to me to buy used.

The Game

One Stratusfied Customer
Not usually. Discs are just too easily scratched, and it's unlikley you'll pick up a copy of a used game in good condition.

But- if I were able to inspect the game myself, and it was in good condition- with all of the pamphlets and all, I'd buy it.

-The Game

Mysterious Saturn

Caught a Lite Sneeze
I got my FF Anthology and Tactics used, and it was in mint condition. :p It's good for when you don't have much money to spend, but otherwise, it it's PS1 games which cost 20 bucks anyways, just get em new, I say.

Carnage

"Carnage Rules"
I don't like buying video games used. Anybody who has seen my collection of video games knows that I am... well... anal about the condition of my games. For example, I clean the crud out of the cracks in my N64 controllers with a toothbrush about once every month. But hey, it's not like my analness hasn't paid off, I mean, my original Nintendo still works all the time. I have bought some used games in the past, and they just never come in mint condition, which is why I don't like them. Almost all of my games are in mint condition and I intend for them to stay that way.

Carnage

Christopher N. Denner

Defender of WTC film stock
I buy and bid on ebay for used Cart games all the time. But I refuse to buy used Disc games, because all the ones I've ever seen are scratched beyond belief.

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
I'll buy used--BUT, only from Blockbuster. They guarantee it and I can go back and complain if it doesn't work, and they'll give me another copy...

and if I do buy used from other people, I just started a new policy:

ask to see the disc before purchase

-BB

cartoonboy

Let's Rock!
I'll buy a used game as long as its in good condition and only from a store that guarantees refund/return. (ie.Blockbuster, Rogers, EB & Microplay)

It is beyond me how people can scratch the bottom of a cd? I can't even begin to understand.

I only buy from places that give money back guarantee. I purchased a used copy of Shrek for $20 @ Rogers. When I got the video home the cd was scratch beyond belief and the center part of the cd(where it sits in the case) was cracked. I didn't even bother putting it in my dvd player.

Psycho Fox

Toonix Guru
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT
No way. Just imagine what a messed up game could do to your PS2.
Only the X-Box can be damaged via the CD reader every other system can't be harmed. If something is wrong just power down, power back up all the data that came from that CD would be gone as if it was never in the system in the first place.

So unless you own a X-Box you are totaly safe no matter what CD you put in (of course what ever you put on the memory card in theory can be corrupted)

Pilmedium

When I played video games a while ago, they were usually bought new. It's not like I could pay for them, any way.

Leaping Larry Jojo

Searching for a map
If you buy used from such video game stores as Electronics Boutique, Compucenter or the like, it's a pretty safe bet the CD will be in good, working condition. The employees check the used CDs before they take them--I know, I've sold one of my old ones to them and they give it a pretty thorough inspection. Avoid "flea market" used games, though.

The Mad Hatter

Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
Used games are completely fine and pose no danger to your system. Just make sure the disk doesn't have too many scratches, then congratulate youself on the dough you've saved. I've bought too many used games to count, and I've never had any problems.

Dane Martin

Society is Overrated
I think it really just depends on where the games are purchased. I mean, Electronics Boutique or generally any software-majoring store should be a pretty safe bet, as opposed to, say, a garage sale.

However, I constantly buy old cartridge-based games used, since they are undoubtfully cheaper (usually) and aren't CDs... although cartridges' dirt can get extremely annoying. Thankfully, that's why cleaners were invented for them. Whee.

What was the significance of blowing on the cartridge ends? That never worked for me, for whatever reason.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts