How does the Kids Next Door (KND) deal with middle schoolers?

TheMisterManGuy

If you haven't seen Cartoon Network's Codename: Kids Next Door, when an operative, or agent of the titular organization turns 13 years old, they are decommissioned from duty. A process that involves deleting all memories of KND from their brains using toilet plungers (don't ask...) and are released into the wild to live as teenagers, and eventually adults, hopefully not turning into more villains for the KND to fight.

Obviously anybody High School age or older is a potential threat to KND, but where it gets a bit tricky is with middle school or junior high school age, which is 11-14 years old in the US (6-8th grade), so there a bit of overlap between when one can be a KND (11-12) and when one can't (13-14). We've seen the Kids Next Door take on middle schoolers before such as in Operation L.E.A.D.E.R. and Operation E.L.E.C.T.I.O.N.S., but I don't think the show ever dived deeper into the specifics of how they deal with Junior High kids.

For starters, Middle Schoolers mature at wildly different rates. Some kids being more like teens, others being more like younger children, and everything in between. So what happens to the 11-12 year old preteens who decided they have more in common with teenagers than little kids? Do they request an early decommission, or are they forced to be KND until they are of age? I would imagine early retires of KND would be frowned upon as cowards by other opprotives, but the show never established whether such a practice was legal or not, so who knows.

Of course, there are also KND agents in middle who are willing to stay to the very end. In which case, it wouldn't surprise me if the KND had plenty of 6th Grade S.P.I.E.S. (Sixth graders Precociously Infiltrating Enemy Spaces) on their payroll, who's job is to infiltrate and study the teenage culture of the older students, allowing the KND to use that knowledge in their battles with the teens.

And what about the kids in middle school who don't fit in with either the little kids or the teenagers? Do they defect and form their own org to take on KND, older teens, AND adults? (Tweens Next Door?...)

Obviously the show didn't necessarily need to answer this question. It's a kids show, it didn't need to be more complicated than "Awesome kids battle evil adults!" Still, it would've been interesting if the show explored this dynamic during its original run.

Last edited:

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
To be honest, I don’t think KND even get the chance to explore the middle school operatives, or even at all. The thing is, 90% of the time, the characters we saw in the show are 10 and under. We rarely we get to see the middle schoolers perspective. If you are 13 and older, you are out and about. Which kind of annoyed me because I would like to see other characters from their different perspectives.

Then again, there’s Teens Next Door, but the show didn’t get the chance to explore that either.

Yeah, I get it, it’s a kids show, and the show is about the kids perspective after all, but it would be nice to see delve into other operatives.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I remember wishing they got into this. Most people don’t turn 13 until 7th grade, so most kids would have at least a year and then some to operatives while in middle school. I know in operation ELECTIONS they did a whole elementary vs middle school thing, and I remember at the time thinking there has got to be several 11 and 12 year olds at the middle school who could be in the KND.

I do know that Numbuh 362 was 12 so she would be in middle school, assuming she even went to school which I doubt.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I do know that Numbuh 362 was 12 so she would be in middle school, assuming she even went to school which I doubt.
Oh really? She’s 12? I thought she was 10?

I could be wrong and maybe I misremember things, but I didn’t know that Rachel was 12 the whole time.

TheMisterManGuy

If that's the case, then I imagine that the kids who are outwardly doing KND stuff if they're in middle school are seen as social outcasts by other kids who are trying to be more mature.

Numbuh 362 might be one of these if she's in 6th/7th grade, where most of the other kids at school would see her as a childish looser. Or, she could be a kid who is determined to ride out her childhood to the bitter end, and has trouble fitting in socially with the other kids at her middle school. Thus, she sees leading the KND as her escape, a way to put off adolescence for as long as possible.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
Numbuh 362 might be one of these if she's in 6th/7th grade, where most of the other kids at school would see her as a childish looser. Or, she could be a kid who is determined to ride out her childhood to the bitter end, and has trouble fitting in socially with the other kids at her middle school. Thus, she sees leading the KND as her escape, a way to put off adolescence for as long as possible.
Now, that seems like a very interesting theory. Numbuh 362 does look like an interesting character that has potential to be flesh out more.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
Oh really? She’s 12? I thought she was 10?

I could be wrong and maybe I misremember things, but I didn’t know that Rachel was 12 the whole time.
Mr. Warburton said she was 12 in a Q&A session I did with him back in 2006. The fandom at the time just rolled with it. My head canon has always been that her parents were abusive deadbeats so she ran away from home to stay on the Moon Base. This also explains why her brother freaks out whenever he’s touched.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

1 decade, 1 month and 1 fortnight ago, Shrek got a series of shorts titled New Shrek on DreamWorksTV.

Like the rest of Shrek, it has its fair share of memes, like a One Direction parody called Wrong Direction, an episode where he literally just burps Happy Birthday, a Freestyle Rap, and (from the very first second no less) of course:
Happy Father's Day!
Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.

Featured Posts