Is BTAS really the greatest thing since Sliced-Bat-Bread?

Otaku-sempai

I think everyone can agree that the animation for Jonny Quest was a good deal more limited than that of BTAS--the same applies any made-for-TV cartoons of the 1960s and '70s. One can admire these shows for their concepts and characters, but not for their animation. The tragedy of that period is that lots of good writers and artists (starting with Alex Toth) were employed in TV animation, but the budgets, producers, censors and resources were simply inadequate.

What turned the tide was Disney seriously committing its money and prestige to weekday afternoon cartoons in the late 80s, with shows like Gummy Bears and Duck Tales, and then Warner Brothers followed suit with Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, followed by the crowning achievement of BTAS. These shows had better animation, bigger budgets, more sympathetic producers, and less censorship than any cartoons previously made for TV, so the circumstances were finally right for the action/adventure cartoon to reach greater heights with BTAS.
I think that, where we disagree,is that you put much more emphasis on the actual animation than do I. That is only one element of an animated series--albeit an important one!

Otaku-sempai

Yeah, the animation on Jonny Quest was limited, but the illustrations were so beautiful I don't care. (As you might guess from my avatar, I'm a big fan of the show.)
It probably helps that some of us were actually in our childhood when the show actually debuted! We didn't have anything more modern with which to compare it. In terms of animation, I admit that B:TAS holds up better.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts