NickRewind News & Talkback Thread Part 2

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Maybe they should replace another ViacomCBS channel with a 24/7 version of NickRewind that airs classic family programming from all sectors of the company, like The Brady Bunch and Terrytoons.

Moe

That's never going to work.
MTV tried to air classic shows on MTV Classic but rating went downhill quickly and they had to abandon it.

It looks like not many care about MTV shows from 90s and 2000s like Jackass, Real World, Road Rules, Viva La Bam, Punk'd, Next, Pimp My Ride, etc.

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
Maybe they should replace another ViacomCBS channel with a 24/7 version of NickRewind that airs classic family programming from all sectors of the company, like The Brady Bunch and Terrytoons.
Nostalgic focused channels never work. It's why Boomerang and MTV Classic had to ditch their original purpose because airing the same classic shows in reruns over and over again isn't gonna keep general audiences around. People will get bored and change the channel. Advertisers don't wanna promote on these types of channels if they aren't showing anything new so they don't make much money. The concept seems cool and interesting on paper but in reality would just be a big waste of money.

Moe

Nostalgic focused channels never work. It's why Boomerang and MTV Classic had to ditch their original purpose because airing the same classic shows in reruns over and over again isn't gonna keep general audiences around. People will get bored and change the channel. Advertisers don't wanna promote on these types of channels if they aren't showing anything new so they don't make much money. The concept seems cool and interesting on paper but in reality would just be a big waste of money.
Retro channels can work well if it is mostly sitcom and drama shows that you see on major networks and they are super popular, so it is known as channel with full of syndications.

As for reality shows like MTV and kids shows like Nick - it won't work well. Older MTV contents are worthless.

Most people, possibly 98% preferred to watch Knight Rider over Viva La Bam.

Looney Turtles

MTV tried to air classic shows on MTV Classic but rating went downhill quickly and they had to abandon it.

It looks like not many care about MTV shows from 90s and 2000s like Jackass, Real World, Road Rules, Viva La Bam, Punk'd, Next, Pimp My Ride, etc.
Yeah, but what makes them think airing only music videos is going to be any better?

Retro channels can work well if it is mostly sitcom and drama shows that you see on major networks and they are super popular, so it is known as channel with full of syndications.

As for reality shows like MTV and kids shows like Nick - it won't work well. Older MTV contents are worthless.

Most people, possibly 98% preferred to watch Knight Rider over Viva La Bam.
Yeah, for example, Logo, which mostly airs old sitcoms like Three's Company, Married with Children and The Nanny, and it's been like that for several years now, so I wouldn't say retro channels can never work. They can, but just won't always work. There's other factors to consider, like how popular the shows still are today, like you said.

Either way, I can confirm that NickRewind is now dead, as iCarly was once again airing with the TeenNick logo last night. Now this begs the question: Was iCarly ever meant to be part of NickRewind at all? I know Rugrats was still airing when iCarly was first brought to the block, but maybe the block was supposed to be only Rugrats, and the NickRewind logo for that was a mistake on their part? Or was introducing iCarly on the block their way to kill it off? After all, Hey Arnold had one last marathon on the block after Rugrats was taken off, so maybe that's it.

Moe

Yeah, but what makes them think airing only music videos is going to be any better?
Many people preferred to see MTV as 100% music TV like they did back in 80s.

Yeah, for example, Logo, which mostly airs old sitcoms like Three's Company, Married with Children and The Nanny, and it's been like that for several years now, so I wouldn't say retro channels can never work. They can, but just won't always work. There's other factors to consider, like how popular the shows still are today, like you said.
Yeah, not just Logo, other channels like Hallmark, Sundance, IFC, TVLand, INSP and OTA channels like MeTV, getTV and Cozi - those are widely available on cable.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Was iCarly ever meant to be part of NickRewind at all?
Well, NickRewind's social media pages post various iCarly videos for a quite a while, so....

I know Rugrats was still airing when iCarly was first brought to the block, but maybe the block was supposed to be only Rugrats, and the NickRewind logo for that was a mistake on their part? Or was introducing iCarly on the block their way to kill it off?
Probably the latter.

Looney Turtles

Many people preferred to see MTV as 100% music TV like they did back in 80s.

Yeah, not just Logo, other channels like Hallmark, Sundance, IFC, TVLand, INSP and OTA channels like MeTV, getTV and Cozi - those are widely available on cable.

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought MTV was the best in the 90's, when it was a mix of music videos and actual shows.

Yeah, and not mention, some of these are also owned by Viacom. I think the really issue is the Nickelodeon shows are far more niche compared to the shows the originated from major networks like ABC, CBS and NBC. So, maybe a retro Viacom family channel as suggested before can work, depending on what shows they put on there. They could mix in shows like The Brady Bunch, (like suggested previously) Full House, Boy Meets World and Saved by the Bell with some of the Nickelodeon shows (both live-action and Nicktoons).

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I don't know about anyone else, but I thought MTV was the best in the 90's, when it was a mix of music videos and actual shows.

Yeah, and not mention, some of these are also owned by Viacom. I think the really issue is the Nickelodeon shows are far more niche compared to the shows the originated from major networks like ABC, CBS and NBC. So, maybe a retro Viacom family channel as suggested before can work, depending on what shows they put on there. They could mix in shows like The Brady Bunch, (like suggested previously) Full House, Boy Meets World and Saved by the Bell with some of the Nickelodeon shows (both live-action and Nicktoons).
Except Full House, Boy Meets World, and Saved by the Bell are WB, Disney, and Universal respectively. My proposed version of NickRewind would not include any third-party programming, only movies and TV shows owned by ViacomCBS.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if their social media accounts promoted Paramount Plus.

They are.

dAg2qfl.jpg

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not surprised. The block has been on autopilot for years and it was pretty telling when I kept seeing iCarly reruns whenever I checked the TV listings recently. But it's still kind of disappointing. Yeah, there's Paramount+ and they've been clearly promoting their new streaming services for the past few months through Nick Rewind too, but it was still kind of nice to have the option of not getting another streaming service to watch at least some of their old shows. It was still something different for a couple of hours instead of more reruns of the same old shows on Teen Nick too.

Plus, there were plenty of shows that they never bothered to air on the block. It's a shame since there was more potential in this block given Nickelodeon's library, but they just were not interested in making better use of their shows or doing more with Nick Rewind. As frustrating as it can be to have to rely on another streaming service to watch some of these shows legally again, that is still a better option than what plenty of these shows have had for decades, so there is a bit of a bright side to all this.

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Either way, I can confirm that NickRewind is now dead, as iCarly was once again airing with the TeenNick logo last night. Now this begs the question: Was iCarly ever meant to be part of NickRewind at all? I know Rugrats was still airing when iCarly was first brought to the block, but maybe the block was supposed to be only Rugrats, and the NickRewind logo for that was a mistake on their part? Or was introducing iCarly on the block their way to kill it off? After all, Hey Arnold had one last marathon on the block after Rugrats was taken off, so maybe that's it.
I was actually thinking about this when I heard the news. It felt like it was their way of quietly phasing it out. It’s probably also worth noting that iCarly was still airing on daytime Teennick until not long before it started airing on NickRewind.
They are.

dAg2qfl.jpg
I wonder how long it will be until they remove Teennick from their bio.

ToonsJazzLover

Now that this block is dead, it's time to turn Nicktoons, TeennIck, and Nick Jr's overnight schedules into throwblock block. That way NickRewind can still be alive in some way (without the branding). It'd be better than the side channels airing nothing but current programming, which should be airing reruns on the main channel instead

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Now that this block is dead, it's time to turn Nicktoons, TeennIck, and Nick Jr's overnight schedules into throwblock block. That way NickRewind can still be alive in some way (without the branding). It'd be better than the side channels airing nothing but current programming, which should be airing reruns on the main channel instead
Like it was back in the late 2000's to early 2010's? Boy, I wish if that were to happen....

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

Looney Turtles

Nicktoons would really benefit from it. Instead of having SpongeBob marathons every night (which is already on the main channel enough), why not use that extra room for that? I would start with moving the NickRewind regulars from last year over there (Rugrats, Doug, Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life).

Moe

I’m one of them but baby boomers and early Gen X disagreed with me and 90s-00s MTV. I want mix of reality shows and music but baby boomers and early Gen X want 100% music with no reality shows.

It would be Nick at Nite and TVLand used to be based on Nick at Nite in 24/7 format. Viacom overhauled TVLand to add original series after 2010.

As for retro channel based on cartoon, Nick tried with Nicktoons when first launched in 2002 and they abandoned the current format in mid to late 2000s. As for game and sports, they tried with GaS but closed in 2009. It looks like Viacom care about rating and I won’t hold my breath to see retro channels based cartoon, even mixed with retro live action like Brady Bunch.

Except Full House, Boy Meets World, and Saved by the Bell are WB, Disney, and Universal respectively. My proposed version of NickRewind would not include any third-party programming, only movies and TV shows owned by ViacomCBS.
Welcome to cable TV and they usually have acquired programming and syndications that Viacom doesn’t own, so exclusivity is usually limited to streaming services. No one need to be exclusive on cable TV.

I'm not surprised. The block has been on autopilot for years and it was pretty telling when I kept seeing iCarly reruns whenever I checked the TV listings recently. But it's still kind of disappointing. Yeah, there's Paramount+ and they've been clearly promoting their new streaming services for the past few months through Nick Rewind too, but it was still kind of nice to have the option of not getting another streaming service to watch at least some of their old shows. It was still something different for a couple of hours instead of more reruns of the same old shows on Teen Nick too.
I just see TeenNick as “MTV Teen”.

Yeah, I noticed about this block is on autopilot and Nick or Viacom don’t care so they want anyone to subscribe Paramount+.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts