"Peanuts" Specials broadcast rights/schedule (UPDATE: Not renewed by PBS in 2022)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
If it doesn't broadcast SOMEWHERE on "antenna" TV, it'll be the end of an era.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I don't think it's going to be on another network, it'll probably just be Apple TV Plus, they'll probably do the free days again too. Wildbrain and Apple softened the blow by allowing it for 2 years on PBS good will. They've even premiered 4 new specials in the past year, all just on Apple TV Plus in US.

[ Though if they shopped networks instead of Apple picking up the rights in the first place, I was kind of hoping for the CW. ]

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They probably meant Apple…
I don’t see why they would. Besides, I just checked and the specials are still on there.
I don't think it's going to be on another network, it'll probably just be Apple TV Plus, they'll probably do the free days again too. Wildbrain and Apple softened the blow by allowing it for 2 years on PBS good will. They've even premiered 4 new specials in the past year, all just on Apple TV Plus in US.

[ Though if they shopped networks instead of Apple picking up the rights in the first place, I was kind of hoping for the CW. ]
Yeah, admittedly I wasn’t too confident on that. It will probably take people making a fuss about it again, though I feel some news sites will have to pick this up first because I only just saw that tweet last night.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Lots of online news outlets are reporting that it's official: "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" will not air on broadcast TV this year.

Not sure what's changed in the last 24 hours, but it seems it's "official" now.

Zorak Masaki

More classic Peanuts is coming to Apple TV+ on August 5th:
  • A Charlie Brown Celebration
  • He’s A Bully, Charlie Brown
  • He’s Your Dog, Charlie Brown
  • It Was A Short Summer, Charlie Brown
  • It’s Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown
  • There’s No Time For Love, Charlie Brown
  • Why, Charlie Brown, Why?
  • You’re In Love, Charlie Brown
  • You’re The Greatest, Charlie Brown
What about You're a Good Man Charlie Brown or Snoopy: The Musical?

Corwin Haught

Lots of online news outlets are reporting that it's official: "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" will not air on broadcast TV this year.

Not sure what's changed in the last 24 hours, but it seems it's "official" now.
It appears that A Charlie Brown Christmas and Thanksgiving won't air on linear this year as well, with Apple TV opening the specials to non-subscribers for certain days. Also, I Want A Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown and Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales will premiere on Apple TV+ Dec. 2:

What about You're a Good Man Charlie Brown or Snoopy: The Musical?

Those specials have rights issues, as they were based on Broadway plays that had separate producers, composers and lyricists. It's just a matter of making the required payments, but it's not as simple as the other specials.

Last edited:

Mandouga

Would there be a problem with Apple TV+ adding It’s the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown? I’d like to see that one…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moe

I do think that 1992 Cable Act needs to be amend with separate licensing for broadcast/cable/ satellite/IPTV and streaming service, so if Apple has rights to stream Peanuts on streaming service and network can acquire the rights to air Peanuts on live channel. Apple shouldn't allow to hoard the licensing to make exclusive to streaming service.

It would fix the issue with live TV streaming like YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV, so require to have same treatment as cable, broadcast and satellite, so no more blackout with some shows like Peanuts when aired on PBS.

Would there be a problem with Apple TV+ adding It’s the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown? I’d like to see that one…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I don't think that would be a problem but Apple is adding old Peanuts specials to Apple TV+ slowly.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I do think that 1992 Cable Act needs to be amend with separate licensing for broadcast/cable/ satellite/IPTV and streaming service, so if Apple has rights to stream Peanuts on streaming service and network can acquire the rights to air Peanuts on live channel. Apple shouldn't allow to hoard the licensing to make exclusive to streaming service.

It would fix the issue with live TV streaming like YouTube TV and Hulu Live TV, so require to have same treatment as cable, broadcast and satellite, so no more blackout with some shows like Peanuts when aired on PBS.
Apple acquired the rights for the specials from the people who Peanuts (WildBrain/SMEJ/The Schulz Family) those were the TV rights, apple isn't hoarding they are broadcaster in this case. Apple can put the specials where they like. They can even make deals like they did with PBS to do it. If the owners of Peanuts wanted a second rights holder (read : if a broadcaster wanted them) they could have made a separate thing and done it.

wiley207

Additionally, it's only semi-related, but ABC is not running "Toy Story of Terror" this year, but that could be a ploy to get people to subscribe to Disney+. And just forget about "Scared Shrekless." That means there's a really surprising lack of Halloween specials on broadcast TV aside (that is, ones that aren't just an episode of a TV series, like the Simpsons and their "Treehouse of Horror" episodes). Before the whole Disney+ thing, I thought ABC would commission Disney and Pixar to make more animated holiday specials to fill the gaps the Peanuts specials would've left.

Moe

Apple acquired the rights for the specials from the people who Peanuts (WildBrain/SMEJ/The Schulz Family) those were the TV rights, apple isn't hoarding they are broadcaster in this case. Apple can put the specials where they like. They can even make deals like they did with PBS to do it. If the owners of Peanuts wanted a second rights holder (read : if a broadcaster wanted them) they could have made a separate thing and done it.
Is it not Apple's fault for Peanuts special not air on ABC?

Additionally, it's only semi-related, but ABC is not running "Toy Story of Terror" this year, but that could be a ploy to get people to subscribe to Disney+. And just forget about "Scared Shrekless." That means there's a really surprising lack of Halloween specials on broadcast TV aside (that is, ones that aren't just an episode of a TV series, like the Simpsons and their "Treehouse of Horror" episodes). Before the whole Disney+ thing, I thought ABC would commission Disney and Pixar to make more animated holiday specials to fill the gaps the Peanuts specials would've left.
I doubt that would help to push the broadcast viewers to subscribe Disney+ and tactic isn't working for Disney.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I think Toy Story of Terror losing it's Peanuts lead in did it hurt it. I mean when ABC aired the edited version of The Great Pumpkin (remember they used to air the specials twice, once edited, then full with and edited version of You're Not Elected) it would not sustain the Peanuts audience. Plus I think Halloween is low priority for the networks versus Christmas. I do see that it's airing on Freeform like once this coming Saturday, not sure if 's going to be on Disney Channel/XD (they've aired it before)

Is it not Apple's fault for Peanuts special not air on ABC?
Apple paid money for the rights, Peanuts Worldwide took the offer. They were already working with Apple to make like "The Snoopy Show" and "Snoopy in Space". It's like in 2000, the rights with CBS were up and ABC swopped in and got to start airing them in 2001 and renewed a few times. We don't know if ABC made an offer to renew, we don't know if any other network made a bid, or if Apple outbid them, but it was the choice of Peanuts Worldwide whom they wanted to air their stuff and they chose Apple.

Moe

Apple paid money for the rights, Peanuts Worldwide took the offer. They were already working with Apple to make like "The Snoopy Show" and "Snoopy in Space". It's like in 2000, the rights with CBS were up and ABC swopped in and got to start airing them in 2001 and renewed a few times. We don't know if ABC made an offer to renew, we don't know if any other network made a bid, or if Apple outbid them, but it was the choice of Peanuts Worldwide whom they wanted to air their stuff and they chose Apple.
For most networks, there are separate licensing for live channels and streaming service.

For example, Weigel acquired the rights to air Baywatch on H&I and Amazon acquired the rights to stream Baywatch on Prime.

I don't understand about what are you saying. *shrugs*

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
For most networks, there are separate licensing for live channels and streaming service.

For example, Weigel acquired the rights to air Baywatch on H&I and Amazon acquired the rights to stream Baywatch on Prime.

I don't understand about what are you saying. *shrugs*
I'm saying it is one set of rights, there was no separate streaming rights. ABC used to also be able to stream Peanuts specials on abc dot com and on Hulu. Apple acquired those rights.

Moe

I'm saying it is one set of rights, there was no separate streaming rights. ABC used to also be able to stream Peanuts specials on abc dot com and on Hulu. Apple acquired those rights.
Alright, I understand now.

Sucks for viewers watch on live channels and most elderly viewers don't know about how access to Apple TV+.

Not issue for me because I have Apple TV+.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts